Skip to main content

Where has the social experiment gone?

put a button in the diary room, call them in one by one tell them if they push it they get to pick an envelope out of a bag of envelopes some will have prizes (cash. trips. night for 2 in the PS) some will have consequences that might affect the whole house like bringing Tully back, making the HG's dance for 2 hours straight person that picked the envelope has to wear a kangaroo outfit for 24 hours etc etc

I agree! lets think of more tasks that involve Tully coming back

Yes! Best idea yet.

I have to laugh - you Tully fanatics are nothing if not besotted & persistent - you manage to work "bring Tully back" into just about every thread here.

When the show was being advertised last year they made a big deal out of it that ordinary people would be the ones on the show. That didn't even happen last year with some of the contestants from radio, modeling and music backgrounds. They may be more entertaining but they KNOW how to do it. They aren't being real, and are way to aware of the cameras on them so dont react or behave naturally. This isnt a reality show anymore its a bad series/ sitcom that is slowly becoming a joke!

\ like bringing Tully back,

I agree! lets think of more tasks that involve Tully coming back

I can't wait for Tully to return. She was never worried about stirring the pot, crying, being obsessive... Twas great!

Tully = perfection

She's been voted out & she's history :) The best you can hope for is you will see her in some lame task later in the week lolz hahahaha

Best things that ever happened in 2013 - Tully & Justin evicted...

She's been voted out & she's history :) The best you can hope for is you will see her in some lame task later in the week lolz hahahaha

I will be laughing too. Next year. When BB is cancelled.

Sadly Big Brother is never going to be as it was in 2001, 2002 and 2003. The best years as far as Im concerned. Its about Models and Actors and those who can ENTERTAIN the best. Or who gets the best edit and who they choose to win the series. The social experiment is gone!
Its whether you want to keep watching the new format and if you like what they have done to it.

There's just so many things they could do to spice the house up. Instead they let the housemates twiddle their thumbs sunbaking and sleeping. The most interesting thing going on at the moment is the same old intruder bullshit. The entire scenario plays out the same way every single time despite there being different people every season. It's so contrived at this point that it makes you feel sick.

when the housemates are (like us) saying amongst themselves - intruders will be here or should be here - its week number _ ... its all too predictable! Must be time for a double eviction ... must be time for ...

POUNCE ON THEM BB!!! Stir them up!! Quit with the feasts and alcohol on a regular night ... quit with the movies once a week ...

Even the laundry strikes me as over the top ... didnt they have to handwash clothes last year? Why have they now got something resembling a commercial laundry!?!

They're all having a holiday in the sun --- they are supposed to be being challenged, and prodded ... not spoilt rotten! This is not Club Med!!!

i propose instead of Intruder Alert warning they push an Eviction Alert one ... no nominations, they don't know how it was voted, who was up, no time to get dressed up, packed, nada ... just someone is about to go ... no runners up ... just straight into it .... time to go .... KABOOM!!

i propose instead of Intruder Alert warning they push an Eviction Alert one ...

Nice idea - they could do that this Wednesday. Sonia has already 'interviewed' the HM's in the house, so no need to cover that again this week. Play "EVICTION ALERT" on plasma's, on comes sonia, it's time to go...

Only thing is you'd probably need to give the HM 5-10 minutes to gather their belongings, having not packed! Unless BB has instructed HM's not to unpack.

I will be laughing too. Next year. When BB is cancelled.

Like I've stated last night in a post, if BB is cancelled I'm not that concerned, its almost scripted this year & trawling acting agencies is ridiculous..

The housemates Seem to have it really easy now too. Which means the Social experiment side of it is lessened. I remember when tasks were 24/7 slogs like those "dont drop a ball" type ones that require a housemate to always do it. This would get them all tired and cranky, then exciting things would happen.

i completely agree. BB has gone totally softcock. it's bad enough the rules aren't enforced and that the HMs are basically on a holiday with the weak challenges and frequent perks. but there's hardly any conflict in the challenges - the least/most challenge is the first in a long time to have even a smidgen of that (tim's ice cream dilemma is probably the last one, that's how long it's been)

the sad fact, though, is that there are two forces working together to suck the life out of big brother

force 1) channel 9. they insist on this family friendly angle and believe that the only formula for a winning show for this target is home & away

force 2) endemol/southern star. they are producing the show from a "cost control" first priority. it's far too expensive to track all the hosuemates all day (and construct narratives from the hundreds of hours of footage that would produce), so it's far easier (and, more importantly, cheaper!) to produce the show from "set pieces". These are the manufactured events that are almost all of what we see on the big brother shows today.

combine these two forces, and you have southern star producing childish set pieces of little interest or challenge. and if those interesting or challenging things happen in the house, they'll be neutered for air to ensure that channel 9 doesn't get their knickers in a twist.

at the end of the day, we're left with a show that is a shadow of its former self - storylines driven by edits to fit pre-conceived caricatures and narratives that are meant to appeal to the home & away crowd.

thankfully, we have BBB so that we can drown our sorrows together :)

edit: and let me add that there's actually a kernal of greatness that this intersection has made - this is easily the best cast they've had, perhaps ever, and if we were given a glimpse of their individuality, depth and many-faceted relationships with each other... well, that's just a dream, isn't it

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep in the main the social experiment has gone, the BB House with few exceptions is filled with actors/ models or wannabes like Caleb, who is now pushing for a spot on the block or get an endorsement from a teeth whitening company. Blah

The cast "play the game" like it is Survivor. The current BB bears no resemblance to the original idea of BB.

In saying that however we have seen some real moments Tully/Drew and that drama which was real not scripted. Mikkayla has been interesting due to all of her issues. She is just a normal girl dealing with normal problems and we have seen them played out on TV.

Jade although a model is providing us with something real and that is her falling in love with Ed. Whatever happens there, Jades feelings are real and we get to watch it.

Yes I am a BB traditionalist, would love to see the house filled with normal people and let them go at it, no parents and families running dodgy campaigns to try and win $250K.

I know its boring and everyone says it, but please can we have our Big Brother back.

I really hope she stays history too but I do have to wonder what the motive is in putting BB's most hated housemate of 2013 back in the house...

I look at it as a game show or a bad pantamime, once you get your head around that its easy to watch or not. Cheer the baddies and boo the heroes.

Back