Skip to main content

Where Are They Now?

Daniel "Saxon" Small from BB2003 with Travis (BB14) (and a publicist)
View attachment 47057

@AntiGretel

Is...

Is that you?

Wow, time certainly has touched you like a dirty Catholic priest.

I don't know about Gretel, but I'd totally still do you.

We'll take it gently at first...

Just the tip.

(To be honest, I don't have much more to offer)

P.S. Any word on the re-instatement of thread-making privileges? High time...

:wacky:

@AntiGretel

Is...

Is that you?

Wow, time certainly has touched you like a dirty Catholic priest.

I don't know about Gretel, but I'd totally still do you.

We'll take it gently at first...

Just the tip.

(To be honest, I don't have much more to offer)

P.S. Any word on the re-instatement of thread-making privileges? High time...

:wacky:

i cannot and will not accept the ban being lifted - EVER

it will be a back-peddle only a soft-cock deserves....

i am not one of you people

Tim Brunero is currently filling in for Tony Delroy's Nightlife on ABC Local Radio (10pm - 2am).

This is his twitter: https://twitter.com/timbrunero

I'm not sure what the protocol is for linking articles; I found this of Tim being interviewed about his BB experience.

Ref: SMH from Scott Ellis dated 9 Oct 2014

Brotherly love still strong for original Big Brother contestant Tim Brunero

Journalist, author, and ABC radio presenter Tim Brunero was also one of the original Big Brother 2005 housemates. It's not an experience he'll ever forget.

Big Brother, Australia's leading reality TV "social experiment", is back on air with all the usual heroes and villains we've come to expect.

For the viewers attracted to this genre it's a diversion, something to watch with the brain in neutral and a touch of schadenfreude as the contestants find themselves in situations or making statements they might one day live to rue.

But for those who have been through the Big Brother process, it's much more.

Tim Brunero, who came second in Big Brother in 2005, said he's still watching the show, but what he sees is a process that can actually teach those who take part more about themselves than they expected.

"When you live with people in a giant share house you laugh with people, butt heads with people, and learn stuff about yourself. It's a raw social experiment," he said.

"In the first week you're adjusting: the neon lights 24 hours a day, fitting in with 12 other people in a surreal environment, coming down off sugar and caffeine and for some, cigarettes. The first week can be rough. I remember the first week was like being in high school again. I really disliked my nemesis, Dean. He was a big muscly fellow that everyone thought was funny and smart. I thought he was a bully and a pig. And I really wondered for weeks whether I was just jealous of his looks and charisma. But after a few weeks other people started to twig (the audience was quicker) to his true colours. It was a real affirmation that what I was feeling was right.

"I also learnt sometimes to shut up. I watched housemates talk themselves off the show – like when Kate started talking about how she was grossed out by gay people. I just shut my mouth and watched her tie herself in knots thinking – that's it, you're out, I've beaten you."

Even now, he watches the newest crop of housemates and finds himself remembering exactly what it was like to face the same moment.

"When I watch the show I see moments all the time and think 'wow I remember how tough that was'. When housemates are one-on-one with Big Brother and getting grilled on their real feelings and you can see they're tired and cornered I send them good vibes. Also when you're having a proper verbal fight with someone you really don't like it's tough. You can feel the attention of the cameras and producers falling on you. It's like Sauron's all seeing eye."

It's not fair, Brunero admits, but even that is part of the game.

"You go into the show knowing it's not fair," he said.

"It's a game show, not the Olympics with someone testing your urine and making sure you're not wind assisted. You just have to control what you can and not worry about what you can't. There's no point complaining, you just have to do your best with what you get dealt."

And ultimately, even with the fights, the tears and the complete and utter lack of privacy, it's still a lot of fun.

"Would I go to the Gold Coast in the middle of winter to sit around in the sun with no bills, responsibilities, phone, keys or wallet? Absolutely," Brunero said.

"Good food, no booze, hours of gym and running each day - I've never been so fit and healthy or so rested. And it was SO MUCH FUN being in an all-consuming game show like that - just you against 200 producers and 20 housemates trying to navigate through to the ultimate prize, constantly thinking about how you are being represented and interpreted. It's uncomfortable at times but just so fascinating to see from the inside. It's literally a money-can't-buy experience."

Big Brother, Nine, Monday to Thursday, 8.40pm

Back