Skip to main content

What's your day job?

Have u heard of the Maguire programme??

Sorry, reading this thread...realised I must have missed your reply.

Yeah I have. Don't know a great deal about it though. Until recently I've only ever worked in acute hospitals so I've never worked with adult stutterers but I've heard from a few people that the results of the course are pretty promising. Which is great. Stuttering is a real bitch. I had a terrible one as a kid (still rears it's ugly head now and again). I still hate making phone calls to people I don't know because I'm terrified no words will come out. Luckily I was able to get on top of mine but a lot of people aren't that lucky.

I'd like to be a trashy sex novelist haha. 50 shades of Puddingface.

I work at a School, more specifically in Academics and Compliance. I get to tell off naughty students though and cancel their visas if they breach rules. The less exciting stuff is invigilating exams... and everything compliance.

Sorry, reading this thread...realised I must have missed your reply.

Yeah I have. Don't know a great deal about it though. Until recently I've only ever worked in acute hospitals so I've never worked with adult stutterers but I've heard from a few people that the results of the course are pretty promising. Which is great. Stuttering is a real bitch. I had a terrible one as a kid (still rears it's ugly head now and again). I still hate making phone calls to people I don't know because I'm terrified no words will come out. Luckily I was able to get on top of mine but a lot of people aren't that lucky.
Ye my teenage son went to numerous speech pathologists. Hubby found the maguire program. Its a breathing technique. It cost abt a grand but the prog is for life. They get tog every month or so in groups and breathe. Also twice a year do the big courses. All went well but its a struggle u have to keep at it. They did contacts. Ringing people on the phone. Face to face in melb city. At graduation they will all talk in bourke st mall out loud in front of a crowd. Its so amazing . Its such a great network and u meet lots of stutterers. The teacher's are past stutterers. Some u wud never guess.

Ye my teenage son went to numerous speech pathologists. Hubby found the maguire program. Its a breathing technique. It cost abt a grand but the prog is for life. They get tog every month or so in groups and breathe. Also twice a year do the big courses. All went well but its a struggle u have to keep at it. They did contacts. Ringing people on the phone. Face to face in melb city. At graduation they will all talk in bourke st mall out loud in front of a crowd. Its so amazing . Its such a great network and u meet lots of stutterers. The teacher's are past stutterers. Some u wud never guess.

That sounds amazing! Good luck to your son :) xo

I'm a stay at home mum.
Have been for 5 years.
Worked in hospitality before that when my son is in kindy (a year away) I'm going to do diploma in community services. Would like to do mental health

I would actually LOVE to be a mental health midwife but I think you need to become a midwife first

I would actually LOVE to be a mental health midwife but I think you need to become a midwife first

This may sound stupid/obvious, but does a mental health midwife deal exclusively in pregnancies where the person is mentally unwell, or is there more to it?

This may sound stupid/obvious, but does a mental health midwife deal exclusively in pregnancies where the person is mentally unwell, or is there more to it?
It's more of a support for people with mental illness or that have some sort of trouble.

When hubby was in coma and I was 34 weeks pregnant I was appointed a mental health midwife... If you ever have any troubles, feeling like crap, worried about baby they are there to talk .[DOUBLEPOST=1417954274][/DOUBLEPOST]They also help women that have had a history of post natal depression ..

It's more of a support for people with mental illness or that have some sort of trouble.

When hubby was in coma and I was 34 weeks pregnant I was appointed a mental health midwife... If you ever have any troubles, feeling like crap, worried about baby they are there to talk .[DOUBLEPOST=1417954274][/DOUBLEPOST]They also help women that have had a history of post natal depression ..

Ah right, awesome! I'm glad such a thing exists for the people that need it.

Back