Skip to main content

What scents bring back memories?

delcan

Future Real Housewife
Awesome site donor
I am sitting in my lounge and for some reason I am getting a faint smell of molasses in the air. I grew up in a sugar cane growing area so it reminds me of childhood, the farmers would put down dunder that smelt like molasses. Has anyone else had these experiences? I've had it with other scents, scents are the one of the things that always takes me back

My mother bought for me the fragrance 'Red' duty free as we flew back from Hong Kong back in 92. That fragrance always reminds of and takes me back to Honkers. The fragrance of Clinique's 'Wrappings' will always take me back to being a bridesmaid for a friend back in 91. We all wore it and I associate it too with raw silk.

My mother bought for me the fragrance 'Red' duty free as we flew back from Hong Kong back in 92. That fragrance always reminds of and takes me back to Honkers. The fragrance of Clinique's 'Wrappings' will always take me back to being a bridesmaid for a friend back in 91. We all wore it and I associate it too with raw silk.

It's weird, isn't it? Just the faint smell and you go back

...whenever the rain starts with those big drops of rain and you get that really 'Earthy' smell it always takes me back to the slum area that I used to live in in the East end of London when I was a kid in the 60's... I so love that smell... it never fails... also...

...for some reason... when I smell ink I get transported back to my grandparents place in Manchester back when I was a really young kid and I had managed to open a large bottle of blue ink and I poured it over and rubbed it into a big yellow Teddy Bear that was in my bedroom while they were babysitting me lol!... I had drank some of it so it was all in my mouth and all over the floor and there were handprints on the curtains and carpet too lol!... as well as the smell of ink my mum and dad reminded me of it many times lol!...

...it's funny what memories smells bring back isn't it?... cheers.

When I was a kid in the UK we had a honeysuckle tree in the side garden next to the house. Anytime I smell it I am immediately transported back to the indian summers in the UK when I was younger and it didn't get dark until 9pm. Dusk.. I miss dusk.

Aww, @shaydee I had this planted outside my bedroom window, and the pretty little hummingbirds loved this bush- and I have never seen another humming bird . It was magical, fairy birds waking me.
I have often wondered what this shrub is called, multicoloured pretty little flowers that smell lovely, like a cross between passion fruit and honey, distinctive scent, I can't help but pick a flower when I pass these bushes.

birds-hummingbirds-flowers-leaves-sun-hd-free-animals-wallpaper.jpg

Others scents I find sentimental -

Mum, Crep De Chine, and Roses
Mum's perfume, I still have her empty bottle, her favourite
fmillot_crepedechine_mini.jpg

Real roses & violets and this perfume, = Mum
70406.jpg

Dad = Dior
upload_2016-7-5_13-58-46.jpeg
or
pacco rabanne
upload_2016-7-5_13-59-47.jpeg

And I wear all of them, dad's in summer, mum's in winter, mostly.
And, the perfume 4711 - given to us as kids, with Dad's anecdote that the scent was named after the perfumer's children, ie their ages, 4; 7; and 11. Not true, it was the address of manufacturing the scent...
images

And sweet peas, my first bouquet at 10, from Dad
Sweet-Pea-Bouquet.jpg

Melbourne has a smell, when I lived elsewhere for more than 20 years, when I landed in Melbourne a lovely damp earth and mowed grass smell would waft a welcome.

Spring in Tassie is delicious, so many cottage gardens, gardens brimming with climbing roses & pretty things.

And it has just occurred to me, the only smells I associate with my ex of many years - BO and fishy odours, so just odours no nice sweet smell of remembrance there, possibly the sea - but nuh he can't own that.
And I had to bury my brother with paco rabanne.

My new wife bought me some moisturizer which smells like lemongrass, and it is really nice on a hot day. So my summer vacation began yesterday, and I know this lotion will be the scent of my honeymoon. A little classical conditioning to lay away some nostalgia for a future me.

Oh yes, the scent of sweet peas, kxk. An all time favourite for me too. They bring back memories of sunny, spring gardens... My dad was a keen gardener and I loved picking them. They also remind me of the scent of beautiful, fresh broad beans which were in season around the same time.

I once made sweet pea sugar flowers to decorate a special birthday cake for dad. Now I'm not into cake decorating as thing (more a fun means to an end), but they were surprisingly easy to make and colour realistically. They still sit in my much-loved* step mother's glassware cabinet.

*denotes sarcasm :rolleyes:

Sounds kinda creepy when I think of it, but the faint smell of cigarettes through a woman's freshly shampooed hair takes me back to Leavers/Summer/Holidays/Zero responsibility..

I have a set of the Childcraft Encyclopedia's (1972 edition) that have their own unique smell

I also have my mum's wooden pencil case box, handmade by my grandfather who was a carpenter. It's beautifully made as you'd expect with a sliding lid perfectly routered into the box sides. I don't know what wood its made out of but I've never come across something that smells the same.

Both items are rather precious to me.

The smell of Eucalyptus trees in the heat reminds me of being a kid in the Summer

I have a set of the Childcraft Encyclopedia's (1972 edition) that have their own unique smell

I also have my mum's wooden pencil case box, handmade by my grandfather who was a carpenter. It's beautifully made as you'd expect with a sliding lid perfectly routered into the box sides. I don't know what wood its made out of but I've never come across something that smells the same.

Both items are rather precious to me.

My parents have those Encyclopedias - they are so beautiful. I adore them

Back