Skip to main content

What music or songs are you listening to?

Interesting bit of music history. Not many people know that Natalie Imbruglia’s ‘97 hit Torn is actually a cover. It was released three times before Natalies version.

The song was first recorded in ‘93 by Danish singer Lis Sørensen and was called brændt (Burned).

The second release was by the band Ednaswap that was made up of two of the songs three writers. Until they recorded the song in ‘95 they’d only preformed it live.

The third recording was by American-Norwegian singer Trine Rein in ‘96. This is version is the most similar to Natalie’s.

Ednaswap also recorded another variation that they intended to release as a single. However the success of Natalie’s recent release haulted those plans. This version is the furthest from Natalie’s.

Both the Ednaswap versions are my favourite. Anne Preven’s vocals just give off so much gritty raw emotion that it’s hard to go back to the song as just a pop ballad.

ETA: Anne talks a little about the song here and preforms an acoustic version. Also she kind of blows Natalie’s success with the song up a little too much for my liking. It’s kind of their own fault in the end. I found it interesting that for her perspective the songs about a lover crawling back rather than leaving.

Last edited:
Back