Skip to main content

What makes a great housemate?

hedgo18

Im aware that a thread similar to this has been posted already, however this thread takes a different angle. I'm curious to see what you all think makes a great housemate and who you think fills out your description in either this years BB or previous BB's.

For me personally, I believe a great housemate has the ability to make you love them, then hate them and then love them again because it keeps you genuinely interested in them as a person. For me this year I think Tim, Ben and Tahan fill out this brief (more so Tim and Ben).

And from previous years one person who really sticks out is Paul from BBAU4

Please tell me what you think! :)

So, I usually buck the trend with this as I prefer HM's who show integrity and follow a good moral compass. Not to say I like them to be 'boring', I love the larger than life characters too (even the pranksters have a place) but ideally I like someone who shows depth of character and isn't afraid to be themselves and stand against the group if need be. I don't mind them a bit kooky either. This is why Estelle was my favourite.

I think a great housemate is someone who goes into the house and warts and all embraces the experience. Someone who the public connect with, find entertaining to watch, and someone who makes the public excited to tune in. Sara-Marie is without doubt in my mind the best housemate of all time. She is not my favourite housemate of all time (She is top 5 though!) but Sara-Marie was a superstar. She just went into the house, she was herself 100% and Australia fell in love with her for it.

An example of a great housemate from this year is Tim and I think he has cemented himself as one of the best housemates of all time.

1) First and foremost: entertaining (and pranks are always a bonus!), 2) embraces the experience, 3) isnt bitchy or negative or a bully, 4) good sense of humor, 5) is open about playing the game if they are playing the game, rather than being snakey

Tim, in other words

Nobbi was probably my favourite housemate of all time. I could never take the so-called 'bullying' he was accused of inflicting on an old fart seriously. It was all a bit of fun and it was not like he was alone, others participated and led in pulling the pranks as well.

I think a bit of racism played a part in his eviction, anglos weren't used to seeing such an assertive confident (cocky?) fun loving Asian guy and their reacted by labeling him a bully. I was devastated when he was evicted.

Someone who isn't a pleaser, but garners adoration for being their self, flaws and all.

Gina on BBUK this year was a prime example, loathed by the public on entry, didn't give a crap about staying, or how others felt about her, but was so endearing in spite of all of that.

OR, someone who stirs. Tim from BBAU this year is great for this. Dexter from BBUK was also, but not as adorable by any means.

I love that Australia aren't too fussed on the 'nice', but boring characters. Although I'd happily see Ben go. Blerk.

Im aware that a thread similar to this has been posted already, however this thread takes a different angle. I'm curious to see what you all think makes a great housemate and who you think fills out your description in either this years BB or previous BB's.

For me personally, I believe a great housemate has the ability to make you love them, then hate them and then love them again because it keeps you genuinely interested in them as a person. For me this year I think Tim, Ben and Tahan fill out this brief (more so Tim and Ben).

Imagination and creativity.

Gina on BBUK this year was a prime example, loathed by the public on entry, didn't give a crap about staying, or how others felt about her, but was so endearing in spite of all of that.
Speaking of BBUK, I can't believe that someone as sweet (and attractive - if that counts) as Dan was evicted so early. He seemed like someone who would've won.

Yet in Australia, boringly attractive guys like Ed tend to outlast many others. :confused:

Shackles,
Yet in Australia, boringly attractive guys like Ed tend to outlast many others.
So? Entertaining unattractive guys like Tim are also outlasting the others :p

Speaking of BBUK, I can't believe that someone as sweet (and attractive - if that counts) as Dan was evicted so early. He seemed like someone who would've won.

Yet in Australia, boringly attractive guys like Ed tend to outlast many others. :confused:
Dan wasn't all sweet. He could be quite bitchy but I loved him. He was the best character outside of the great duo, Dexter and Gina.

For the first few weeks - I was constantly calling Tim "Paul"!!!
Tim is my ideal HM. He is true to himself, not afraid of confrontation and will make controversy.

Back