Skip to main content

What DON'T you want to see in Big Brother Australia 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbo

Never again
For me the number one thing I don't want to see is obvious favourtism towards a housemate. I remember in the channel 9 era where it was so obvious that the producers would favour certain people in the house. They would give special treats, put them at the forefront of ads, edit out their more unsavory charactersitics, and give them tasks so they can have more airtime.

This would of course lead them to become more and more disliked as the weeks rolled on until they were voted out of the house.

Favouring one housemate is unfair not only because it lessens the screentime for the other participants, but also breeds resentment against the one being favoured.

That would make for a boring house.
krch4.jpg

For me the number one thing I don't want to see is obvious favourtism towards a housemate. I remember in the channel 9 era where it was so obvious that the producers would favour certain people in the house. They would give special treats, put them at the forefront of ads, edit out their more unsavory charactersitics, and give them tasks so they can have more airtime.

This would of course lead them to become more and more disliked as the weeks rolled on until they were voted out of the house.

Favouring one housemate is unfair not only because it lessens the screentime for the other participants, but also breeds resentment against the one being favoured.
Really does annoy me when producers make a select group of housemates, or even just one, the stars and then leave the rest as pretty much extras. However one advantage with the US format, and actually also if they pre-record it, is they can't edit the show to influence how the game might pan out, so even if certain houseguests dominate the show it won't affect how successful they are on it. The US format of course can see people get invisible edits but usually at some point they'll either win a power, become an influencial vote or be a nominee having to campaign, so they have to come to the forefront.

Obviously the big disadvantage (or advantage depending on your point of view) is that pre-recording the whole thing means the whole series can be edited knowing how it plays out. Usually with Survivor that means early episodes focus on early evictees, and the eventual winners and finalists usually only see their airtime increase around mid-series.

Of course too they like to set up the evictees for failure, so begin the episode with them gloating about how safe they are only to see them go at the end of the episode. That might work for Survivor, but not for Big Brother IMO - the magic of the show is if the vote is close the viewers, housemates, host and producers are all in the same position and don't know what's going to happen until the very end. BBUSA had several close votes this series where the outcome was switching back and forth right up until the show going live - and even with the Chenbot you could see her genuinely not knowing what was going to unfold live and her being somewhat excited to find out as the viewers found out as well.

The problem is everyone going on is doing it for fame and followers not the experience. That's why they have to shake it up.

A house full of people who only talk game strategy and alliances 24/7. That’s pretty much what turns me off the US version.

I feel strategy talk was always such a big no no in AU because in the beginning it was about us the audience watching these everyday people interact. It was envisioned more of a fly on the wall thing rather than a 'competition'. But if this new 7 version is closer to the US one then it does become a competition and it makes sense to me that we get strategy and game talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back