Skip to main content

What are the rules around talking to audience?

T

Toby

Hi...

I am intrigued by Ben's recent comments, speaking directly to the audience when he says "Thank you Australia!" and "Wish me luck Australia!" during his fake eviction. I have wondered over his talking out loud by himself, or to his photos. I heard that Jade got in trouble for saying happy birthday to someone on the outside...but that seems to pale in comparison to addressing the whole nation.

I guess I am wondering what standard applies on the show. It seems that if one person is allowed to speak directly to the audience, then that person would be given an unfair advantage.

I always understood the Diary Room to be the only place where HM's could be self-reflective, and offer us glimpses into their inner world. Yet Ben's strategy, or habit, of talking aloud becomes a constant Diary Room experience. The audience can unwittingly be drawn into his "first person" experience, making it difficult to treat him like the other HM's. It would be like reading a "first-person" novel. It is hard not to develop an empathy for the main character, since it is told from their perspective.

However, BB is silent on this matter. Has Ben exposed a loophole? Will we see all HM's talking out loud when by themselves next year?

Ben gets away with everything.

Pretty much. Ben getting away with all this crap is really getting to me.

Also, when Tully was given a strike, before she was called into the diary room they showed us a little montage of about 7 breaches or so of the noms talk rule, leading to her getting a strike..when last night Mikkayla got a strike off of 1 little slip.

Stupid BB

thats Ben being Ben and BB lets him off with murder, talking to the photos telling Nan and Mum hows he is feeling and all.

Ben gets away with everything.
Thats because he is the chosen one for Channel 9 this year. Had his own TV adds that played continually every night for ages.
and dont you know he is " the most adorable Housemate in the history of Big Brother" hahahahahahaha

Yeah it annoys me when Ben say stuff like that and gets away with it. Last year's Ben said "Hi Australia" when he was nominating and got in trouble right there and then.

Ben just annoys me altogether and the fact that he gets away with more then everyone else just add to my annoyance.

Lol it would be pretty funny watching Ben get a strike as he is such a do-gooder eg Tahan disrespecting the BB rules. I think he would be a blubbering mess and get down on his knees in the diary room and beg for forgiveness. He would then give a spill 'ma always told me...' If Ben is not acting he definitely is not all there. Would love to be a fly on the wall in his unit..or maybe not.

The other problem with this loophole is that it allows that HM to disengage with the other HM's but rather than just sunbaking, they take up screen time because they are still talking. So they are able to effectively hog air time through an anti-social behaviour.

Maybe Tim or another HM should start doing the same thing. Tim could start talking to one of his pet insects. It would be great if he walked into the room while Ben was talking to his photos, and started talking to his insect or a pet rock or something...

Wouldn't it be great entertainment [insert sarcasm here] if all the HM's just sat by themselves talking out loud.

Baha BB needs to give Tim his pet axolotl that will sort Ben out

Hi...

I am intrigued by Ben's recent comments, speaking directly to the audience when he says "Thank you Australia!" and "Wish me luck Australia!" during his fake eviction. I have wondered over his talking out loud by himself, or to his photos. I heard that Jade got in trouble for saying happy birthday to someone on the outside...but that seems to pale in comparison to addressing the whole nation.

I guess I am wondering what standard applies on the show. It seems that if one person is allowed to speak directly to the audience, then that person would be given an unfair advantage.

I always understood the Diary Room to be the only place where HM's could be self-reflective, and offer us glimpses into their inner world. Yet Ben's strategy, or habit, of talking aloud becomes a constant Diary Room experience. The audience can unwittingly be drawn into his "first person" experience, making it difficult to treat him like the other HM's. It would be like reading a "first-person" novel. It is hard not to develop an empathy for the main character, since it is told from their perspective.

However, BB is silent on this matter. Has Ben exposed a loophole? Will we see all HM's talking out loud when by themselves next year?

The two examples you have are fairly different, aren't they?
Jade is actually fully communicating to a person on the outside and Ben is just talking to the viewers in general.

The two examples you have are fairly different, aren't they?
Jade is actually fully communicating to a person on the outside and Ben is just talking to the viewers in general.

Yes but Ben from last year did the same thing that Ben is doing now and he got in trouble.

It's different, he isn't sending a personal message to the outside world like Jade did saying happy Birthday to her friend.

You can acknowledge and thank them like he did. You can't try and contact the outside.

It's different, he isn't sending a personal message to the outside world like Jade did saying happy Birthday to her friend.

You can acknowledge and thank them like he did. You can't try and contact the outside.

I don't know how many times I have to say it - why did Ben from last year get in trouble for saying "Hi Australia" and yet this Ben can say whatever he wants.

thats Ben being Ben and BB lets him off with murder, talking to the photos telling Nan and Mum hows he is feeling and all.

...I did a photoshop of this very thing about Ben talking to his mum and nan on page 22 in 'The Photoshop Thread' on this link...

http://forum.behindbigbrother.com/s...hread-(2013)&p=1647544&viewfull=1#post1647544

...what's to say that he isn't talking code to the outside world?... I did it as a laugh at the time but sometimes now I actually do think that there could be some sort of contact going on... and why does Ben always talk out loud when he's on his own in say... the presidential suite etc... because he's playing up to the cameras to show how 'caring' and 'innocent' he is all the time... a 'fish-out-of-water' type of person to take pity on...

...Big Brother concentrates on individuals that are bringing in the ratings... Ben is one of those people... that's why he gets away with it... in past years Big Brother was strict on anyone breaking any of these rules... the trouble is... because he is not consistent with those rules with EVERYBODY he is losing the ability to instill fear into the housemates any more... simple as that to me...

...Ben is probably the biggest game player within the entire house... it's an act... at least Tim is honest enough to tell the housemates and the world that he is 'playing the game' ... Ben is portraying a character to me... just saying... cheers.

In Ben's case, it's a coping mechanism. He's not talking to his mother or nanna really, it's just him pretending to be. It would be no different than if he was talking to a pair of dolls. Whereas Jade or last year's Ben were deliberately making an attempt to contact the outside world. This year's Ben isn't breaking the rules.

Back