Skip to main content

What Annoyed You Today?

A semi trailer blocking the entrance to my car park. They were unloading white goods for an adjacent store. I politely asked them would they be very long as I had an appointment in 30 minutes. Guy says "Yeah, we will" I said "Well, how am I supposed to get to work?" Guy says "See that road back there...go down that and turn right!" He wanted me to go down a one way street the wrong way! I had no choice...so I did! Some people are just SO rude!

Insurance company blatant ripoff!

Ok here's the story I used to have 2 cars insured with a very well known and old car insurance company here in Victoria (RACV). Anyway I have had cars insured with this company for around 21 years now and I used to be always well looked after price wise on yearly premiums. On one of my recent cars which i've had for around 5 years now I have noticed that the yearly premium has been steadily rising by around $40 to $50 per year. Now I let this slip for the last 4 years thinking eventually the price will level out and should start coming down. Well guess what it didn't. This year when I got my premium which was around $650 I thought nope that's it they are just screwing me over year after year now. I mean unless they think I don't have a memory and can't remember last years price or something they are dreaming!

I wasn't happy at all so I rang them up about this and hopefully they can give me an explanation as to why my premium keeps rising on a 21 year old car which is constantly going down in value every year? Their frontline staff tried to help and fed me their usual bullshit about this and that trying to make me happy and to stay with them. I said nope not good enough I would like to speak to a manager you are not helping me at all. I tell you they did not like it one bit that I demanded to speak to a senior manager and it took ages for them to put me through to a manager.

When I was finally put through to a manager they were basically trying to feed me the same bullshit the frontline staff were feeding me. All this crap about your particular model car and how much the parts cost to repair blah blah blah. I said that's bullshit and you guys know it. My insurance cover is only third party so even if I have an accident you don't even repair my car at all! So stop bullshitting me and explain to me why is my premium constantly rising as my car's value is dropping every year? In the end they offered me a $50 reduction in my premium only as a one off and they even said that the following year it would rise again probably higher than this year's premium.

Ok I said I will probably end up paying this years premium but I will be shopping around to see if anyone's cheaper than you guys. The manager's response was "oh you will find that the others will be around the same price as us so don't bother"...LOL!

Well guess what? I did shop around and I found another insurance company with the exact same cover I was getting with RACV for almost half the price of them! Yes seriously HALF the price of RACV!

Yep you guessed it I have not renewed my cover with RACV and after a few weeks they sent me out another bill at the reduced amount and also a reminder to please pay in full immediately as you are currently not covered! Bwahahahaha. They will probably send out a few more bills until they eventually give up. lol

I think these old big fat cat companies of the past tend to forget there is so much competition now in the market they don't control or manipulate the market like they used to maybe 20 or 30 years ago.

I also did the same thing to another major fat cat telco company Telstra some years ago with my mobile phone. I was with them also for over 20 years and in the end they decided to dictate to me that I had to go on a more expensive plan and buy a new phone to stay with them. That same day I went into the local Vodafone store and went on a prepaid mobile phone plan, kept my original phone and also transferred my original Telstra mobile number over to them. I have been with Vodafone now for around 5 years and i've never been happier. Again another big fat cat company that doesn't realise they no longer own or control the market like the old days thinking they can do what they like with their old loyal customers.

Last edited:
Haha dear Columbo, guess people don't have much that annoy them.
However, for argument's sake I'll post this as a complaint
I wish California had cute guys w/quokka selfies (the accent of course is even cuter) grrrrr

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't speak clearly. The entire point of speaking is to communicate so when somebody mumbles, whispers or speaks so fast that I have to say "pardon?," or "what?" every five seconds it really grates on my nerves. Also, please don't speak to me from another room, or from 50 metres away or with your back turned. Thank you. It really annoyed me today!

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves is when people don't speak clearly. The entire point of speaking is to communicate so when somebody mumbles, whispers or speaks so fast that I have to say "pardon?," or "what?" every five seconds it really grates on my nerves. Also, please don't speak to me from another room, or from 50 metres away or with your back turned. Thank you. It really annoyed me today!
Maybe it's the accents?

The...’speaking from another room’ is driving me nuts.....family of course
Lately I ignore
Wait to see what happens.....
mostly nothing, mostly what they want is the same...ie waste of time, nothing

Not being able to renew my passport.

My Passport expires in a couple of months.

The online process to renew it is straightforward. You then have under a month to take the form, photos and your old passport to AusPost to renew it.

I don't immediately act and do it in the first few days. Plenty of time to go to AusPost. I look at myself in the mirror and, I am due for a haircut. I want a decent photo after my last one was terrible. It looks like I just woke up on the floor hungover and someone standing over me took the photo.

Short lady in AusPost taking the photo and an upward angle which I didn't see until I got my Passport.

So I decide I will go to Teds to get a properly shot photo. All good.... and then lockdown. It will only be for two weeks. Plenty of time. Then it is for three weeks. I still have time. Lockdown ends. I book a hair appointment. Get a nice cut. Looking good. The next day I have it all planned. Well-rested. Go for a run. Get the healthy exercise look going on. Get my photo. Happy to see how much better I look than 10 years ago. Chin line is better defined, looking much thinner. Not amazing but not bad. Typical blank stare passport type photo.

The next day I go to AusPost and the Passport system is down due to whatever those outages were this week. They tell me to come back the next day. Not to worry, I still have a few more days.

Come back the next day. The system is still down. The friendly lady tells me something along the lines of, "come back tomorrow, although come at the opening as there are long lines on a Saturday."

Despite a late and boozy Friday night. I drag my hungover self to Auspost to be waiting in line for opening and... the Passport system is still down. Application expires tomorrow, AusPost is closed on Sundays.

Now it shouldn't be much of a hassle to re-do the online application, but it's just annoying.

I've had the passport hassle too.
Basically ebay are threatening to kick me off if I don't upgrade to their managed payment system. But to do that you need to provide a photo ID.
To get a photo ID you need... a PHOTO ID.
I don't have a licence but I've tried to get a proof of identity card from several sources, all of which require some other source of ID to instigate the process!
Another way around it is to get a new copy of my birth certificate, but to do that you have to jump through all the same hoops again, ie. you need an ID to get an ID.

I got away with a selfie in my 1999 passport. I even printed it myself on photo paper, against their instructions. Of my four passport pics, I easily look the best in that one. My worst is the Aus Post one taken in Newtown. Camera was too close and made me look bloated. Most recent one was done here in Cambodia. The Aus embassy refused the selfie I'd taken and sent me off to get another one. It was a hot, tropical day and I'd just had a pimple-popper zap some dodgy looking spots with dry ice a few days earlier. There was one smack in the middle of my forehead. I asked the guy to photoshop it out. Ofc he said they're not allowed to. But I've seen Cambodian wedding photos and they photoshop the fuck out of them, so I just asked him nicely to do it, because the wound would soon fade away and I didn't want it on my 10 year passport. So that was nice, but I still look a bit hot and flustered.

Back