Skip to main content

Ways to improve this year's Big Brother

I think ratings difficulty was caused by:

7.30 start time. In 2012 big brother started at 7.00pm and had more of a lead. I know nine won't change anything, but if they want big brother to be a competitor they need too.

Also last year big brother went for 1 and 1/2 hours. In 2012 it only went for an hour. This also could have contributed to ratings problems.

Last year nomination and evictions just didn't pick up, because of the 1 1/2 hour time like. It was pretty much highlight reel after highlight reel... Then eviction. Ain't no body of time for dat!

This year, big brother should be on from mon-fri, with a 30 min daily show on sat and sun on go from 6-6.30pm. With advertising it could work.

This year, if nine are confident, should have live feeds at 9.30pm on go on certain night, most likely after evictions and nominations.

Ratings can pick up this year, with the right scedual and promotion! If I were nine, I'd start 'reminding australia' what big brother really is, and that if is so unique! It isn't a cooking show, talents show or Reno show. Nine need to highlight this! That could light the fire.

I hope big brother this year is successful. But nine, you need to have the passion! It's not just a show remember, it's the big brother of all reality!

Give GOON his own show.

Let him show the full side to behind Big Brother even if its a weekly or an end of season show.

Give people an insight as to what goes on behind the scenes at different shows, what changes are made to the house, behind the tasks etc.

Who agrees ??

Give GOON his own show.

Let him show the full side to behind Big Brother even if its a weekly or an end of season show.

Give people an insight as to what goes on behind the scenes at different shows, what changes are made to the house, behind the tasks etc.

Who agrees ??
BB AU bit on the side ?

I vote Tim Dormer to host, sorry Goon. lol

I've just started watching my first ever international series this week as I just started watching BBUK.

In saying that.. I don't see why we don't adopt the nominations layout they have and not even bother having a separate noms show that runs as a separate live show.. instead it would be nice to see the noms, run smoothly and fluidly and quickly through out a normal daily show/highlights show.

I've never understood why we have a live studio audience for the noms and it gets so drawn out and gimmicky.
BBUK noms are just straight to the point and easily take place during the course of the day in the highlights/daily show.

Reactions: Jam
Honestly, I'd like to see this year's show be orchestrated in a way that will allow alliances between Housemates to be formed. :p

I've just started watching my first ever international series this week as I just started watching BBUK.

In saying that.. I don't see why we don't adopt the nominations layout they have and not even bother having a separate noms show that runs as a separate live show.. instead it would be nice to see the noms, run smoothly and fluidly and quickly through out a normal daily show/highlights show.

I've never understood why we have a live studio audience for the noms and it gets so drawn out and gimmicky.
BBUK noms are just straight to the point and easily take place during the course of the day in the highlights/daily show.

I agree, Robbie! I admit that I do like to see the housemates squirm, but it doesn't have to be so orchestrated.

They should nominate in front of each other, each week. Why haven't they done this before? I think that would make good television.

Aside from that one new aspect, I'd like them to keep things as simple as possible. No more pointless gimmicks (like the divided house from last year) or other lame twists.

They should nominate in front of each other, each week. Why haven't they done this before? I think that would make good television.

No, that'll make it even harder on the people who get nominated the most. Making it harder for them to enjoy their time in the house and to contribute and be part of the group. More so than normal face to face nominations. It'll make people give up sooner. It will also essentially allow people to develop strategies and targets though coordinating. Just from knowing how people nominate, it'll be really unfair if a power block develops.

Maybe they could do a twist where the most nominated person in secret finds out who. Or they play a game, complete a challenge to. Done in secret and they can't discuss it with the other housemates.

I don't see why we don't adopt the nominations layout they have and not even bother having a separate noms show that runs as a separate live show

I've held that view for a long time, however Nine obviously keeps it as a seperate show purely as a ratings cow. As did Ten in their day. It's either that or Big Bang repeats.

Very cool Robbie, I'm sure you'll love it. :)

So you've never watched a season of Big Brother US? I highly reccomend it, too... and you can find all seasons on Youtube. Very different to the Big Brother we're used to, but very entertaining!

Yeah, if they bring back all the games, Mike, Fitzy and Bree. That would be awesome! Plus if they brought it back they would have played their 200th game as Mike said in the 2008 FnL Finale that all together they have played 197 games! WOW!
Oh God I will shoot myself if they bring back those damn games, especially if they have Ryan host them. Ugh. BB isn't supposed to be a kiddy game show.

Aside from that one new aspect, I'd like them to keep things as simple as possible. No more pointless gimmicks (like the divided house from last year) or other lame twists.

I agree.

IMO they should go back to doing nominations in the Diary Room and live so they can continue the online updates & videos as normal throughout the day.

I don't see the point in face to face noms when they're not allowed to discuss them, and it's not exactly fair to the nominated HMs if they accidentally slip up through being angry or upset about something someone said while nominating them resulting in them being given a strike which will only make things worse.

Perhaps if there is a adult content show for Big Brother this year instead of being contrived as a party every week (Late Night Feast) it could be a mix of the early uncut and Big Brother Saturday (2001) shows?

Sonia hosts the content pre-recorded (maybe filmed weekly a day or two before air date) and as well of the show having the adult content it could also have special guests every week like a segment where Sonia interviews the Big Brother psychologist who explains why the housemates are acting the way they are. I am sure it would have been great to have a psychologist talking about Tully's actions last year and maybe giving us a professional view of "Why?". You can also have a segment dedicated to the impact of Big Brother on social media that week. The headlines Big Brother makes if any, Trending topics, publics opinions on housemates etc.

The adult content doesn't have to be like the Adults Only 05-06 days which I believe NINE are so scared about. Keep it like the early Uncut days (not just sex talk and graphic close up nudity though some nudity would be ok by the cute male housemates. haha! :smuggrin:)

Importance of the adult side of Big Brother said by Gretel on the first Adults Only show in 2006.
Gretel's opening starts at 0.36 - 1.27

Back