Skip to main content

US Survivor 43

Thing

Garden Variety Troll.....
Awesome site donor
I've been anticipating #43 for a while now & a little disappointed after watching it last night... :confused:
Early days yet, but no one I could really identify with and barrack for.

I thought it didn't have many changes from the last few seasons;
They land on the beach, they do a quick challenge to see who gets immediate flint & supplies - boring, this is the same old... they could have spiced it up a bit and done something different...

Then at camp the same as last season, the losers of the first challenge get to choose between 2 tasks, physical or mental to get their supplies... again, same as last season - although I did like the mental challenge & I didn't guess the way to win it either, very tricky I thought šŸ˜ƒ

And later this was followed by a task from last season, a boat collects one person from each tribe to perform a Risk/No Risk decision.. Probst - fire the producers and find some people who can think outside the box and come up with something really inspiring... when you repeat the same old stuff, it gets a bit stale - the only change you've made is to replace the cast with some very average type plebs ....

Hopefully it will improve as each episode airs...

I found it quite boring. I fell asleep a few times and had to wind it back.

Probst has one of his macho men to barrack for and call by their last name (Gabler).

The rubbish Shot In The Dark twist should have been ditched too.

I found it quite boring. I fell asleep a few times and had to wind it back.

Probst has one of his macho men to barrack for and call by their last name (Gabler).

The rubbish Shot In The Dark twist should have been ditched too.
Yes that 1 in 6 is ridiculous & I always think these things are rigged... I reckon that if you are a good ratings card in the producers eyes - then they would fill the bag with "You Win" beans ... but if you're a tosspot, then the bag is full of "LOSER" beans...
That would involve firing himself. Heā€™s the one coming up with these stupid ideas year on year.
Haha I never knew that...

It's a hard one to analyse, the ratings have held a semi-consistent audience in the mid 7 Millions over its existence.. Although S43 first ep only got mid 5's O_O (US ratings)

If he leaves it too late to mix it up a bit, he might lose a major part of his audience.. Sometimes when a show has consistent ratings they just leave the format the same and eventually it tanks and then they scramble to get the audience back, but they've moved on..

Probst might think, oh well, my audience loves the same old stuff, so I'll keep serving them up what they're consuming.. But after a while, people get bored with the same format & move on...

It's a hard one to analyse, the ratings have held a semi-consistent audience in the mid 7 Millions over its existence.. Although S43 first ep only got mid 5's O_O (US ratings)

If he leaves it too late to mix it up a bit, he might lose a major part of his audience.. Sometimes when a show has consistent ratings they just leave the format the same and eventually it tanks and then they scramble to get the audience back, but they've moved on..

Probst might think, oh well, my audience loves the same old stuff, so I'll keep serving them up what they're consuming.. But after a while, people get bored with the same format & move on...
The show has been running pretty much continuously for over 20 years now. If they struggle to recover from a ratings slump and itā€™s cancelledā€¦ It was time.

Yes that 1 in 6 is ridiculous & I always think these things are rigged... I reckon that if you are a good ratings card in the producers eyes - then they would fill the bag with "You Win" beans ... but if you're a tosspot, then the bag is full of "LOSER" beans...

It was already down to low 5 million ratings last season, season 42's premiere rated even less than S43's first ep at 4.96m. The last time the show had ratings in the 7 millions for a regular season was all the way back in 2019.

That sort of fall is across the board with the US broadcast networks so not purely down to the questionable decisions of an ageing franchise. I suspect it would be cut to one season a year before being axed completely, but suspect the covid measures will help it survive a bit longer with the savings having cut the filming time by a third will create.

The trouble with Survivor and many shows of a similar vintage is most changes create frustration for the fans rather than intrigue from those who have not watched previously.

Last edited:
I heard there's an interesting twist coming up in 44 to do with the idols, but we'll sit through 43 in the meantime.

FWIW I actually didn't mind the premiere? The "summit" was WAY shorter than 41/42, and the two hour premiere helped get me across pretty much the entire cast. Yeah I don't have people I'm rooting for yet, but I thought there are a couple out there with interesting life stories (Jesse, Noelle, Elie) and I'm already keen for Sami's downfall.

I heard there's an interesting twist coming up in 44 to do with the idols, but we'll sit through 43 in the meantime.

FWIW I actually didn't mind the premiere? The "summit" was WAY shorter than 41/42, and the two hour premiere helped get me across pretty much the entire cast. Yeah I don't have people I'm rooting for yet, but I thought there are a couple out there with interesting life stories (Jesse, Noelle, Elie) and I'm already keen for Sami's downfall.
Nah Sami for the win!

That sort of fall is across the board with the US broadcast networks so not purely down to the questionable decisions of an ageing franchise. I suspect it would be cut to one season a year before being axed completely, but suspect the covid measures will help it survive a bit longer with the savings having cut the filming time by a third will create.

The trouble with Survivor and many shows of a similar vintage is most changes create frustration for the fans rather than intrigue from those who have not watched previously.
TBH most of us (even the older ones lol) watch things streaming which is not reflected in the ratings imo.

I'm liking Jesse, despite him sucking at the puzzle.

I can't figure out what Noelle gained from her advantage, as it seems the others voted the same as her anyway.

The advantage she has is that she has essentially guaranteed herself to be safe the next time they go back to tribal as long as Dwight votes with her. She can split a 2-2 tie between her and Dwight and Jesse and Cody with the extra vote and vote one of the latter two out.

I'm liking Karla, she seems like a pretty perceptive player.

This season is just...boring. The character development is off, the editing is slightly off, the advantages are taking up too much time as per usual but I think it's a rare miss casting wise too which is the most important aspect. Jesse might be one of the better players of the 40s so far but I find him super meh, and it's just hard to care much about anyone good or bad.

Yeah, I don't mind Jesse but it's another fairly dull season full of people it's hard to feel anything for.

Back