Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

DONALD TRUMP’S GHOSTWRITER TELLS ALL
“The Art of the Deal” made America see Trump as a charmer with an unfailing knack for business. Tony Schwartz helped create that myth—and regrets it.

How they met
Schwartz had written about Trump before. In 1985, he’d published a piece in New York called “A Different Kind of Donald Trump Story,” which portrayed him not as a brilliant mogul but as a ham-fisted thug who had unsuccessfully tried to evict rent-controlled and rent-stabilized tenants from a building that he had bought on Central Park South. Trump’s efforts—which included a plan to house homeless people in the building in order to harass the tenants—became what Schwartz described as a “fugue of failure, a farce of fumbling and bumbling.”
Yet, to Schwartz’s amazement, Trump loved the article. He hung the cover on a wall of his office, and sent a fan note to Schwartz, on his gold-embossed personal stationery. “Everybody seems to have read it,” Trump enthused in the note, which Schwartz has kept.

“I was shocked,” Schwartz told me. “Trump didn’t fit any model of human being I’d ever met. He was obsessed with publicity, and he didn’t care what you wrote.” He went on, “Trump only takes two positions. Either you’re a scummy loser, liar, whatever, or you’re the greatest. I became the greatest. He wanted to be seen as a tough guy, and he loved being on the cover.”

Trump, facing a crowd that had gathered in the lobby of Trump Tower, on Fifth Avenue, laid out his qualifications, saying, “We need a leader that wrote ‘The Art of the Deal.’ ” If that was so, Schwartz thought, then he, not Trump, should be running. Schwartz dashed off a tweet: “Many thanks Donald Trump for suggesting I run for President, based on the fact that I wrote ‘The Art of the Deal.’ ”

Trump appeared to have convinced himself that he had written the book. Schwartz recalls thinking, “If he could lie about that on Day One—when it was so easily refuted—he is likely to lie about anything.”

The book expanded Trump’s renown far beyond New York City, making him an emblem of the successful tycoon. Edward Kosner, the former editor and publisher of New York, where Schwartz worked as a writer at the time, says, “Tony created Trump. He’s Dr. Frankenstein.”

....the prospect of President Trump terrified him. It wasn’t because of Trump’s ideology—Schwartz doubted that he had one. The problem was Trump’s personality, which he considered pathologically impulsive and self-centered. Schwartz regards as one of Trump’s most essential characteristics: “He has no attention span.”
It’s impossible to keep him focused on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandisement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. He regards Trump’s inability to concentrate as alarming in a Presidential candidate. “If he had to be briefed on a crisis in the Situation Room, it’s impossible to imagine him paying attention over a long period of time,” he said.

But Schwartz believes that Trump’s short attention span has left him with “a stunning level of superficial knowledge and plain ignorance.” He said, “That’s why he so prefers TV as his first news source—information comes in easily digestible sound bites.” He added, “I seriously doubt that Trump has ever read a book straight through in his adult life.” During the eighteen months that he observed Trump, Schwartz said, he never saw a book on Trump’s desk, or elsewhere in his office, or in his apartment.

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”

If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

“Lying is second nature to him,” Schwartz said. “More than anyone else I have ever met, Trump has the ability to convince himself that whatever he is saying at any given moment is true, or sort of true, or at least ought to be true.”

Barrett investigated he found that Trump’s father was instrumental in his son’s rise, financially and politically.
, “The notion that he’s a self-made man is a joke. But I guess they couldn’t call the book ‘The Art of My Father’s Deals.’ ”
........“the millions of people who voted for him and believe that he represents their interests will learn what anyone who deals closely with him already knows—that he couldn’t care less about them.”

And another esteemed author, Wayne Barrett, know Trump very well....
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...trump-is-still-reporting?mbid=social_facebook

There may be no journalist in the nation who knows more about Trump than Wayne Barrett. He started writing about him at the Village Voice in the late seventies, when Trump was a young real-estate developer, and published a book about him, “Trump: The Deals and the Downfalls,” in 1991. The book investigated Trump’s career to that point, including his company’s record of racial bias in choosing tenants for its buildings.

“Donald just has no interest in information. He has no genuine interest in policy. He operates by impulse. And I don’t see any of that changing,” he said. “Why would you change it? You got to be President of the United States. This personality has prospered in two universes now—business and politics—without discipline. Why would you acquire it at seventy?”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

Holocaust Memorial Day, to be particularly poignant given US President Donald Trump chose the day to sign an executive order halting the intake of all refugees and barring everyone from seven countries in particular.

Twitter users are commemorating the many Jewish refugees who were murdered by the Nazi regime after the US refused to grant them visas in the 1930s.
In a touching and timely tribute, a Twitter account is commemorating Jewish refugees who were murdered by the Nazis after being refused entry to the US.

Many thousands of Jewish people tried to obtain visas to the US in the 1930s to escape the growing strength of the German Nazi party, but many were unsuccessful.

For many - including now-high profile people like Anne Frank - this was a death sentence that led to them to be sent to concentration camps and death camps like Auschwitz.

Social media users have found the tweets, which began on Holocaust Memorial Day, to be particularly poignant given US President Donald Trump chose the day to sign an executive order halting the intake of all refugees and barring everyone from seven countries in particular.

What is the St Louis Manifest?
The St Louis Manifest refers to the German transatlantic liner the St Louis which left Hamburg, Germany for Havana Cuba on May 13, 1939 carrying 937 passengers.

Most of the passengers were Jewish refugees who were fleeing the Third Reich and planned to stay in Cuba until they could get visas to enter the US.
However, upon arrival in Cuba, the majority of the passengers were refused permission to land thanks to a combination of official corruption and public animosity towards the Jewish refugees.

The St Louis then travelled up the coast to Florida and requested permission to dock from US President Franklin Roosevelt, but he never responded and the White House decided not to take special measures to help the passengers.

The refugees on board were told they would have to wait their turn to qualify for immigration visas to the US.

With no other option available to the passengers, the St Louis was forced to sail back to Europe and the refugees were divided between the UK, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

By the end of the war 254 of the passengers had been killed in the Holocaust.

My name is Joachim Hirsch. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz

C3M1l7fUEAABRcI.jpg

C3OLbJBVYAI7JvA.jpg

C3MtlApUkAAIp1r.jpg

My name is Sibyll Grünthal. The US turned me away at the border in 1939. I was murdered in Auschwitz

You mean his racist clans?
Jumping for joy I imagine - make no mistake, this Pres elected because they want 1950s white pariarchy supremacy .

That is what - make USA great is code for.

Notice Egypt and Saudi Arabia are not banned, too much USA interest there, even though all the 9/11 terrorists originate from those countries.
Bullshit is Trump, but he is also part of a truely evil sub plot, post it shortly.

PUZZLING & STUPID BANS
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/en...7-countries-trump_us_588b5a1fe4b0230ce61b4b93

Between 1975 and 2015, foreign nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen killed exactly zero Americans on U.S. soil, according to an analysis of terror attacks by the Cato Institute.

Moreover, a report released this week shows that Muslim Americans with family backgrounds in those seven countries have killed no Americans over the last 15 years.

Similarly, none of the 19 plane hijackers on 9/11 were from any of those seven countries.

You mean his racist clans?
Jumping for joy I imagine - make no mistake, this Pres elected because they want 1950s white pariarchy supremacy .

That is what - make USA great is code for.

Notice Egypt and Saudi Arabia are not banned, too much USA interest there, even though all the 9/11 terrorists originate from those countries.
Bullshit is Trump, but he is also part of a truely evil sub plot, post it shortly.

Yes, precisely them. I agree with you completely.

Wondering if @reepbot opinion of it all has changed or whether he is thinking one dimensional still?

Reactions: kxk
Donald Trump, The Radical Right Is Setting You Up In Washington!
by Russell Simmons
I know we haven’t spoken since your run for office. The truth is, I never thought you would become president. I’m sure the comments I made publicly and to the press against your platform broke our friendship apart. That said, I still have some advice for the man I used to consider a friend. You are being set up.

I am convinced you are the Trojan horse. The extremists in the Republican Party and religious right have been praying for a long time to put a candidate in the position to turn back the tide of our forward push for justice and equality, which is in effect the American dream. The pendulum of consciousness always swings towards compassion and justice. There are moments that it swings back but once given a taste of freedom the people will thirst for it and will not let anyone take that away. African-Americans will never again be slaves, women will never again lose their right to vote or go quietly back into the coat hanger days, the LGBTQ community will not go back into the closet, the right to worship as we see fit will not be taken from one — you will have to strip it from everyone.

No American president has ever entered the Oval Office with an agenda so set on trying to undo the civil, social and political gains for equality that have been so long fought. And now we are bracing to have all of our victories overturned. Those lowest common denominator radicals of the Republican party have you locked in a role to do their bidding.

You came into the race as a strong independent voice and now you are going down a path of having the mainstream Republican party impeach you for many of your questionable choices that some of them support privately, but don’t want to carry the weight of.

I find it hard to believe you are comfortable going down in history as being impeached as the president who was taken out for Russian ties or signing off on the Dakota/Keystone pipelines benefiting a company you held stock in? When this happens where will they be? They will tell the American public it was all on you as they reap the rewards of some of the worst decisions a president has made for the people he is supposed to serve. If you are impeached, Vice President Pence will have the position he has always wanted with all the dirty work done for him without having lifted a hand. And in the best case scenario for you, which is you stay for the entire term, you will leave a legacy of heightened racial discord, massive environmental destruction and the shame of having repealed legislation that promoted equality and fairness for all Americans. You will continue to be shunned and protested against by the majority of citizens who will blame you for your radical and dangerous attacks on everything America stands for.

My advice to you is don’t let yourself get played by these suckas in Washington. Or we, the American public, will all pay for your naivety. We will be left to suffer as individuals who must deal with racism being accepted again, women being treated as second class citizens, the aftermath of immigrant families broken up and deported and an environment that will succumb to the mounting crisis of climate change. Future generations will be in an irreversible position of not being able to sustain the Earth they live on. You will be forgotten and dismissed by the radical right when you are long gone. A foolish blip in the big story of a sad American tragedy.

Follow Russell Simmons on Twitter: www.twitter.com/unclerush
More:
Donald Trump Trump Administration Republican Party Voices

Yes, precisely them. I agree with you completely.

Wondering if @reepbot opinion of it all has changed or whether he is thinking one dimensional still?

I said before that i did not agree with everything that Trump is doing. I like his fight against globalization, standing up for the working class people of America, and how he managed to beat Hillary "i'll use the gender card when it suits me" Clinton. This Muslim ban is not a wise move.

it'll be interesting to see how those banned countries respond. maybe they will kick out any Americans living there?

Weird, Trump is good to go with our shipping refugees to USA like cattle deal!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess our PM may have some proper negotiation business skills - I can imagine him running rings around orange head.

America will go bankrupt at this rate -
if Trump keeps issuing illegal orders, every bloody thing he does will have court costs;
and the protests and distress of the public continues this way - they will have no productivity.
The economy is going to be fucked, and unemployment will skyrocket.

if hillary "war hawk" clinton was president their would be American boots on the ground in Russia. Trump is taking a more restrained approach to global politics befitting his status as a wise and mature leader.

it is a pity that the media are blind to this.
Are you seriously describing Trump as restrained??! Hilarious!

It is soooo funny watching the left have such a tantrum. Funniest thing ever. It is such a good thing that Trump won't listen to their pathetic whimpering. Mainly because he is too busy trying to make America great again, whilst all the left want to do is ruin America.

Also lol at all those celebrities whining against Trump. They never learn. They think that they still have influence, but the only influence that these out of touch celebrities (clooney) have is to turn everyday ordinary Americans away from the loony left.

Back