Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

Mmm, this

"Trump Will Be in Jail Within a Year"
Malcolm Gladwell probes sexism and elitism in the U.S. presidential election

This election was one for the record books. Donald Trump became the president of the United States with a solid electoral victory despite a loss in the popular vote. The statistical data is still coming in, but interpretations of it exist already.

Two days before the election, English-Canadian thinkerMalcolm Gladwelldiscussed his interpretation of the election up to that point, and offered his shocking prediction of what will become of President Trump. Mr. Gladwell is a well known author, with works on crime, psychology.
He suggests that this election is going to be recalled as strange in every way. One in which the “elite” candidate was born in the middle class and the populist was born a millionaire.
"One guy is the child of privilege who grew up in a multi-million-dollar household, and has every advantage handed to him on a silver platter,"
Gladwell says.
"The other is a woman who came from the most ordinary of circumstances." One in which pending lawsuits were given less airtime on major networks than criminal investigations which never materialized. Where coverage of those lawsuits earned more time than discussion of issues.
One in which the winning candidate “caught ten different breaks.”

An election so odd, he feels the confidence to say “This is not going to happen again." The boldest statement he made, however, is his prediction that Trump “will be in jail within a year”. Citing the various lawsuits for fraud in cases such as the Trump University suit that the President Elect finds himself dealing with, Gladwell supposes there will be “criminal charges” forthcoming as well. Such a situation would be nearly unprecedented; the only comparison would be to Watergate, which did not occur to an incoming president but to one that was re-elected in a landslide two years prior.

[Before the election results were in, Harvard psychologist Susan Davidcame to the Big Think studio and questioned the media's role in normalizing Donald Trump's hate rhetoric. Should journalistic ethics override human ethics?]

He suggests a reason that this election has been going as it has: the idea that our election of a black president has given many of us a blank moral check. This idea is called “Moral Licensing”. Having taken a positive action, we grant ourselves the freedom to act in a less moral fashion at a later time.
In this case, Gladwell suggests: “Having taken the extraordinary step of electing a black man as president… Americans feel free to indulge every dark impulse inside their hearts, because they think they have proven to the world how open minded they are... I think there is something to that theory.”

He also sees this election as a frank statement on the condition of our views of women in power in the United States. To an outside observer, it demonstrated that Americans would not vote for a woman of a particular description. In this case, one who was honest in her desire for power, who was more aggressive and less modest in her disposition than seems becoming for a woman in politics. "To me, the most disturbing lesson about this election is that the United States is a good deal less open to women in positions of power than it would like to pretend that it is," he says.

Mr Gladwell offers us an interesting view of what the election says about Americans, not all of it is good. He suggests that the only way to explain the number of breaks that Donald Trump has seemed to have in this election is by way of sexism. A sexism that reflects on Americans in general. It shows to him that the American media is more concerned with story than substance, and that the nature of this election will be recalled for years to come.

http://bigthink.com/articles/malcolm-gladwell-on-the-2016-election-sexism-and-moral-licensing
and
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/malcolm-gladwell-us-election-the-national-trump-clinton-1.3838449

from: http://joannenova.com.au/2016/11/tr...so-powerful-he-tells-them-off-to-their-faces/

Trump has broken the mainstream media — a president so powerful he tells them off to their faces

A week ago, the grip of the old-school media elite was busted, but few seemed to have noticed this remarkable shift.

The top dogs in the media came to him expecting to discuss their access to him, instead he blasted them as deceitful, dishonest liars who should be ashamed.

Over the last forty years the mainstream media have degenerated into naked, unashamed political advocacy, yet conservative leaders still felt they had to pander for fear that they would get an even worse treatment if they called it for what it was. Not Donald Trump. Has there ever been a more powerful US president? They called him every name under the sun, and he took the insults and used them to win.

What other US president didn’t need to pander or even be polite to media royalty? Only a billionaire who got electeddespite the old media could afford to blow them away. For the first time in US history, the top gatekeepers of the national discussion were named and shamed… The Kings and Queens of the media finally overplayed their hand to the point where the people elected someone so powerful, so rich, and so independent that he has no fear at all of them. This is the extraordinary promise of the Trump election. Is he the first president that is seemingly owned by no one – not donors, or a party machine, not industry, and not newspaper editors.

What other US president didn’t need to pander or even be polite to media royalty?

Trump doesn’t need them. Don’t underestimate what a big shift in media power this is.

Donald Trump’s media summit was a ‘f−−−ing firing squad’
[NY Post, Nov 21, 2016]

“The meeting was a total disaster. The TV execs and anchors went in there thinking they would be discussing the access they would get to the Trump administration, but instead they got a Trump-style dressing-down,” the source added.

The media broke their contract with their readers, feeding them one-sided fawning advertising for Clinton dressed as “news”. In return the people elected Trump, possibly one of the very few who could break the degenerate system.

“Trump kept saying, ‘We’re in a room of liars, the deceitful, dishonest media who got it all wrong.’ He addressed everyone in the room, calling the media dishonest, deceitful liars. He called out Jeff Zucker by name and said everyone at CNN was a liar, and CNN was [a] network of liars,” the source said.

“Trump didn’t say [NBC reporter] Katy Tur by name, but talked about an NBC female correspondent who got it wrong, then he referred to a horrible network correspondent who cried when Hillary lost who hosted a debate — which was Martha Raddatz, who was also in the room.”

The royalty get what’s coming:

It had all the trappings of a high-level rapprochement: President-elect Donald J. Trump, now the nation’s press critic in chief, inviting the leading anchors and executives of television news to join him on Monday for a private meeting of minds.

On-air stars like Lester Holt, Charlie Rose, George Stephanopoulos and Wolf Blitzer headed to Trump Tower for the off-the-record gathering, typically the kind of event where journalists and politicians clear the air after a hard-fought campaign.

– NYpost

After blasting them, he managed the next day to offer them hope that if they improved he would change his mind:

“To me,” Mr. Trump said at one point, “it would be a great achievement if I could come back here in a year or two, and have a lot of folks here say, ‘You’ve done a great job.’” — New York Times

The NY Times was the main target. The next day the Times sold it as “a less defiant Trump”, and called him “chameleon-like” but he was not backing down from his criticisms, nor apologizing. He was acting like a coach who yelled at the team, but then offered them a chance to redeem themselves:

“I think I’ve been treated very rough,” Mr. Trump said, as he spent the first several minutes of the session criticizing The Times’s coverage. “I’ve been treated extremely unfairly, in a sense, in a true sense.”

“I will say The Times is about the roughest of all,” Mr. Trump said. Then, referring to his relationship with the paper, he added: “I would like to turn it around. I think it would make the job I am doing much easier.”

h/t Jim S

:)

regarDS

So, the world's biggest reality show is launching on January 20, 2017......it's going to be full of cringeworthy moments. Oh, dear!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kxk
from: http://joannenova.com.au/2016/11/tr...so-powerful-he-tells-them-off-to-their-faces/

Trump has broken the mainstream media — a president so powerful he tells them off to their faces

A week ago, the grip of the old-school media elite was busted, but few seemed to have noticed this remarkable shift.

The top dogs in the media came to him expecting to discuss their access to him, instead he blasted them as deceitful, dishonest liars who should be ashamed.

Over the last forty years the mainstream media have degenerated into naked, unashamed political advocacy, yet conservative leaders still felt they had to pander for fear that they would get an even worse treatment if they called it for what it was. Not Donald Trump. Has there ever been a more powerful US president? They called him every name under the sun, and he took the insults and used them to win.

What other US president didn’t need to pander or even be polite to media royalty? Only a billionaire who got electeddespite the old media could afford to blow them away. For the first time in US history, the top gatekeepers of the national discussion were named and shamed… The Kings and Queens of the media finally overplayed their hand to the point where the people elected someone so powerful, so rich, and so independent that he has no fear at all of them. This is the extraordinary promise of the Trump election. Is he the first president that is seemingly owned by no one – not donors, or a party machine, not industry, and not newspaper editors.

What other US president didn’t need to pander or even be polite to media royalty?

Trump doesn’t need them. Don’t underestimate what a big shift in media power this is.

Donald Trump’s media summit was a ‘f−−−ing firing squad’
[NY Post, Nov 21, 2016]

“The meeting was a total disaster. The TV execs and anchors went in there thinking they would be discussing the access they would get to the Trump administration, but instead they got a Trump-style dressing-down,” the source added.

The media broke their contract with their readers, feeding them one-sided fawning advertising for Clinton dressed as “news”. In return the people elected Trump, possibly one of the very few who could break the degenerate system.

“Trump kept saying, ‘We’re in a room of liars, the deceitful, dishonest media who got it all wrong.’ He addressed everyone in the room, calling the media dishonest, deceitful liars. He called out Jeff Zucker by name and said everyone at CNN was a liar, and CNN was [a] network of liars,” the source said.

“Trump didn’t say [NBC reporter] Katy Tur by name, but talked about an NBC female correspondent who got it wrong, then he referred to a horrible network correspondent who cried when Hillary lost who hosted a debate — which was Martha Raddatz, who was also in the room.”

The royalty get what’s coming:

It had all the trappings of a high-level rapprochement: President-elect Donald J. Trump, now the nation’s press critic in chief, inviting the leading anchors and executives of television news to join him on Monday for a private meeting of minds.

On-air stars like Lester Holt, Charlie Rose, George Stephanopoulos and Wolf Blitzer headed to Trump Tower for the off-the-record gathering, typically the kind of event where journalists and politicians clear the air after a hard-fought campaign.

– NYpost

After blasting them, he managed the next day to offer them hope that if they improved he would change his mind:

“To me,” Mr. Trump said at one point, “it would be a great achievement if I could come back here in a year or two, and have a lot of folks here say, ‘You’ve done a great job.’” — New York Times

The NY Times was the main target. The next day the Times sold it as “a less defiant Trump”, and called him “chameleon-like” but he was not backing down from his criticisms, nor apologizing. He was acting like a coach who yelled at the team, but then offered them a chance to redeem themselves:

“I think I’ve been treated very rough,” Mr. Trump said, as he spent the first several minutes of the session criticizing The Times’s coverage. “I’ve been treated extremely unfairly, in a sense, in a true sense.”

“I will say The Times is about the roughest of all,” Mr. Trump said. Then, referring to his relationship with the paper, he added: “I would like to turn it around. I think it would make the job I am doing much easier.”

h/t Jim S

:)

regarDS

If nothing else this election has proved that the media has no power anymore.

A psychologist's analysis of Trump's personality based on the BIG five:

Extroversion: gregariousness, social dominance, enthusiasm, reward-seeking behavior
Neuroticism: anxiety, emotional instability, depressive tendencies, negative emotions
Conscientiousness: industriousness, discipline, rule abidance, organization
Agreeableness: warmth, care for others, altruism, compassion, modesty
Openness: curiosity, unconventionality, imagination, receptivity to new ideas

THE MIND OF DONALD TRUMP:
Narcissism, disagreeableness, grandiosity—a psychologist investigates how Trump’s extraordinary personality might shape his possible presidency....

"Trump’s personality is certainly extreme by any standard, and particularly rare for a presidential candidate; many people who encounter the man—in negotiations or in interviews or on a debate stage or watching that debate on television—seem to find him flummoxing. In this essay, I will seek to uncover the key dispositions, cognitive styles, motivations, and self-conceptions that together comprise his unique psychological makeup. Trump declined to be interviewed for this story, but his life history has been well documented in his own books and speeches, in biographical sources, and in the press. My aim is to develop a dispassionate and analytical perspective on Trump, drawing upon some of the most important ideas and research findings in psychological science today"....MORE

He also says Richard Nixon was the MOST disagreeable president ;)

Did you see the articles where he asked the media to stop using unflattering photos of him? So the media in question helpfully compiled all the photos that should not be used - mainly showing his double chin and some of his more unusual facial expressions.

Did you see the articles where he asked the media to stop using unflattering photos of him? So the media in question helpfully compiled all the photos that should not be used - mainly showing his double chin and some of his more unusual facial expressions.
My favourites things going around are the Biden memes. They are excellent.

My favourites things going around are the Biden memes. They are excellent.
haha yeah they're hilarious. And the Streisand Effect is in full force for the unflattering photos he'd like to suppress.

Recounts initiated by Jill Stein (Greens candidate) have started in Wisconsin. I read that 5000 Trump votes immediately disappeared before this process even began. He's such a hypocrite, saying 'it's rigged unless I win' and then saying he'd have won the popular vote if two million illegal votes weren't cast. If he's saying the result was fraudulent he should be demanding a full, national recount. God help us all.

haha yeah they're hilarious. And the Streisand Effect is in full force for the unflattering photos he'd like to suppress.

Recounts initiated by Jill Stein (Greens candidate) have started in Wisconsin. I read that 5000 Trump votes immediately disappeared before this process even began. He's such a hypocrite, saying 'it's rigged unless I win' and then saying he'd have won the popular vote if two million illegal votes weren't cast. If he's saying the result was fraudulent he should be demanding a full, national recount. God help us all.
Any links or hints where to look? I am functioning on a one hour nap.

Any links or hints where to look? I am functioning on a one hour nap.
Actually it came up on twitter, doesn't seem to be getting any traction on main stream media. I think any chance of the result being overturned is kinda deluded tbh, but I haven't given up hope. So call me deluded.

But yes apparently on the night of the election news outlets gave a WI vote figure for Trump which later dropped by around 5000 before the recount even began. They really should do a full audit IMO.

I blame Tully.

Predictably, Tumpets are now full of regret, aww
His disgruntled supporters, are also the dangerous gun slinger types

ttps://trumpgrets.tumblr.com/post/153888395423/lot-of-people-shocked-that-an-asshole-continues

Trumpgrets.
suck it up, buttercups

(hmm how COULD an ivy league-educated ‘billionaire’ born and living in new york city possibly be part of the coastal elite establishment)

(lot of people shocked that an asshole continues to act like an asshole)

Trump trolled the rustbelt. The days of USA being 'great' in manufacturing are gone..... I want see how he runs the country like a business though... he will despise bureaucracy.

Seth MacFarlane Breaks Down Why Most Of Hollywood Hates Trump
“We live and work amongst his kind every day here."

“Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane took to Twitter Friday to explain just why his peers “hate” the president-elect so much.

“We live and work amongst his kind every day here. His tactics are those employed by the shiftiest of agents, lawyers, and publicists,” the actor said in a long note. “We’ve learned to recognize the blustery showmanship of a lying con man because we encounter it every day in our business.”

“Most of us love America a hell of a lot, and we don’t want America to be conned the way many of us have ourselves,” he wrote. “Trump is not of the People. Trump is of Hollywood. And that is the problem.Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Back