Skip to main content

Upfronts 2021

Of course! The live part of idol is essential with a massive audience! That makes more sense as to why they would hold off on it, you can’t relaunch such a huge show without the certainty of filling a room. The voice has shown it can function without an audience to some degree so they could mimic that next year on 7 without anyone thinking twice if it’s necessary to do so.

But 10 always have gaps in their schedule. There is room for Big Brother and Australian Idol.

10 are always trialling behind 7 and 9 and when they miss opportunities like these I can understand why. I can’t help but feel these two shows are going to be symbolic as the great misses for 10 in the next decade. These could have been big for 10. Not wanting Big Brother is one thing (been cancelled twice) but not getting the Australian Idol revival is stupid because the revival is going to create a lot of interest. Like I said earlier it would have been perfect towards the end of the year for them.

Maybe 10 will pick up some amazing new formats that haven’t been pitched yet but what are the chances? 10’s current reality line up is not going to last forever. It’s going to run out of steam and then where will they be?

Oh well. They could always revive letters and numbers.

Who wants to bet that Idol will be pre-recorded and the judges will send someone home every week and then the public will vote the winner out of the final three? (I know, I know I shouldn’t give them ideas...)

Reality Live TV is being phased out in Australia and “I Don’t Like It”. 😠

They'll definitely do that which will be awful. Similar to how the judges voted off the contestants in X Factor until the final 3 or 4 or whatever.

I'm curious to see how they make Aus Idol current and hoping for a good Aussie judging panel. Wonder if they'll do the big Audition crawl again like they used to?

I cannot for the life of me understand why 7 would go with the Voice AND Aus Idol!? Bit overkill.

Disappointing 10 didn't go for the revival. They are, by far, the best at reality TV at the moment (Survivor, Amazing Race, etc).

Sniping Idol was a smart strategic move. AGT is dead in the water, but they need to burn through their final commitment next year; securing Idol for '22 fills a massive programming gap by replacing it with the superior format.

Idol and The Voice on the same network is actually smart. Using them to anchor H1 and H2, they can build a programming schedule around them to cleanse the palate. Talent shows are somewhat evergreen, and they're different enough to provide variety but similar enough to provide continuity. I'd suggest it's likely they'll move Guy to Idol and keep Delta on The Voice. The real question now is who's going to grab X Factor for '22.

I know that Seven were seriously looking to revive The Mole but the travel restrictions made it tough to commit to.

Sniping Idol was a smart strategic move. AGT is dead in the water, but they need to burn through their final commitment next year; securing Idol for '22 fills a massive programming gap by replacing it with the superior format.

Idol and The Voice on the same network is actually smart. Using them to anchor H1 and H2, they can build a programming schedule around them to cleanse the palate. Talent shows are somewhat evergreen, and they're different enough to provide variety but similar enough to provide continuity. I'd suggest it's likely they'll move Guy to Idol and keep Delta on The Voice. The real question now is who's going to grab X Factor for '22.

I know that Seven were seriously looking to revive The Mole but the travel restrictions made it tough to commit to.
Omfffgggg THE MOLE IS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE. Sorry - y’all I’m here, I love ya, I’m hashtag bb for lyfe ✌🏻, but The Mole is the ultimate for me. I would love to see it back with grant bowler as host - not when it was “revived” last time with that bloke whose name escapes me.

Omfffgggg THE MOLE IS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE. Sorry - y’all I’m here, I love ya, I’m hashtag bb for lyfe ✌🏻, but The Mole is the ultimate for me. I would love to see it back with grant bowler as host - not when it was “revived” last time with that bloke whose name escapes me.
Better than Orphan Black? Surely not! But yes, The Mole was a great show too.

Guaranteed the Idol revival tanks... In its prime American Idol on FOX would pull in 30 million+ in an average series. ABC was barely over 5 million for some episodes in the last series and barely broke an 8 million average for the series. It’s one of those shows people enjoyed at a particular time but doesn’t fit well within today’s market.

Is idol 2021 or 2022 then? Or they just sprinkling it in there for interest next year even though it’s not until 2022?

Back