Skip to main content

TOKYO 2020

Olympics behind closed doors is going to be weird!
Apparently Ticket Sales alone were estimated to bring in US$820M.
Poor Japan! They've really been fucked over by this.
Yeah they really should have just called it last year.

The hype is just not there anymore for these games.

Yeah they really should have just called it last year.

The hype is just not there anymore for these games.
I think one reason these games are going ahead is for the sake of the athletes who have trained for years to compete in them. They may not be around in four years time and so it would be heartbreaking for them not to be able to compete after devoting much of their lives to reach the pinnacle of their sport. But I agree that these games will not be the same and have certainly lost their lustre.

Is anyone going to watch the Opening Ceremony?

I often think that OCs are great for the host nations but can get rather tedious for others. I love the athletes parade but some of the entertainment leaves me bewildered. I'll give it a go but if I get lost or bored I'll switch to Netflix.

Reactions: kxk
I often think that OCs are great for the host nations but can get rather tedious for others. I love the athletes parade but some of the entertainment leaves me bewildered.
I really liked that the Athens Olympics OC had DJ Tiesto playing while the teams entered. Not a fan of Tiesto, but just that the teams coming in to dance music was much better than the usual orchestral shit they play. Much more age-appropriate for them. No-one's done it since but it should be standard IMO.

Wouldnt mind seeing synchronised swimming with scuba masks cos..you know...covid.
Get with the program Fuzz synchronized swimming is now known as 'artistic swimming'...same shit, different name. 🤣

Get with the program Fuzz synchronized swimming is now known as 'artistic swimming'...same shit, different name. 🤣
I see more professional propenents at local swimming schools in the under 5ves learning to swim with floaties.
More acrobatic and visually appealing without doubt.

Well it was long, as always, but I think they did an exceptional job given the circumstances. Highlights for me...the Olympic rings and their story, the drones, the Imagine performance and the lighting of the cauldron of course.

Sooooo long.

It was pretty good, but the first hour was so subdued and a bit depressing? I’m glad it eventually perked up.

I always forget how long the parade of nations is! And they only had limited athletes this year (63 of Australia 470 odd for example)!

Under the circumstances, Tokyo is doing a good job, but watching all the sports this morning without crowds is very sad. I really feel for Tokyo.

Yes, my mind wandered quite a bit during the first part (I'm not big on interpretive stuff) and I'd forgotten how long the parade of nations is too. I liked Bruce and Johanna's commentary and stats etc. Bruce in particular is a walking encyclopedia on sports although he did mix his metaphors last night...batting above his weight? Haha!

Good day 1 of competition. I watched a bit of the road race, dressage, 3x3 (i'd never heard of it before but found it quite entertaining, uncomplicated and quick...all good for me!) Football :(, and all of the swimming.

Great swims by Brendon Smith, Emma McKeon, Elijah Winnington, Jack McLouglin (but maybe a bit faster tomorrow?) and the womens 4 x 100m freestyle relay team.

Sucks about the football score! 2 Aussies through in the tennis, win for the water polo and hockey teams as well.

Beach Volleyball boys playing well now too.

Swimmers are on fire! Really looking forward to the finals tomorrow!

Think we should have forum olympics.
I have fond memories of spending three years in the uk during my school years learning fencing. Epeees and foils.
So ill nominate myself for fencing, swimming, surfing, chess (used to be an olympic sport) and water polo to punch americans in the groin underwater. Believe me, water polo was brutal back in my day. The amount of nether region violence underwater was war like.
Id include afl but I dont think it will be an olympic sport in my great great great grandsons timeline.
Id have a stab at synchronised swimming if I could choose iggy pop or smashing pumpkins to background my aqua ballet.

Think we should have forum olympics.
I have fond memories of spending three years in the uk during my school years learning fencing. Epeees and foils.
So ill nominate myself for fencing, swimming, surfing, chess (used to be an olympic sport) and water polo to punch americans in the groin underwater. Believe me, water polo was brutal back in my day. The amount of nether region violence underwater was war like.
Id include afl but I dont think it will be an olympic sport in my great great great grandsons timeline.
Id have a stab at synchronised swimming if I could choose iggy pop or smashing pumpkins to background my aqua ballet.

ROFL! Classic stuff mate! :roflmao:

I'm trying to remember back in primary school we used to have a sort of Olympic sports championship, it may have between other local schools in the area.

Anyway I do remember which sports in participated in: discus, shot put, triple jump...lol. I think I got a second place and a ribbon for the triple jump! LOL!

Back