Skip to main content

This is what the house for a revived Big Brother should look like

Brekkie

Staff member
Posted a thread in the International section, but thought it was worth posting here too. Big Brother in Quebec, the French speaking region of Canada (population 8.5m) is being revived for a new celebrity series this weekend, and like most revived international versions they've ditched the camera runs in a house built in a warehouse idea for using an actual house - and in this case built on not one or even two but three levels.

Just stunning. Now think back to the house Channel 7 revealed last year.

Posted a thread in the International section, but thought it was worth posting here too. Big Brother in Quebec, the French speaking region of Canada (population 8.5m) is being revived for a new celebrity series this weekend, and like most revived international versions they've ditched the camera runs in a house built in a warehouse idea for using an actual house - and in this case built on not one or even two but three levels.

I like the look but I’m not in favour of using an actual house.

That looks amazing! Channel 7 is too cheap to do anything close to that.

i think utilising an actual house is smart as a cost cutting measure and has been proven to still look the part and work just as well as a purpose built dwelling does... but the thing that troubles me is the outdoor space - i feel like it should be completely enclosed even if the property itself is relatively isolated with no close neighbours. from what i’ve seen, everything is kind of left open.

That looks amazing! Channel 7 is too cheap to do anything close to that.
They need to focus on getting the show back to basics; show real people interacting instead of making it primarily a survival strategy show, which is not what Big Brother is. House is pretty low priority on our list of problems with Channel 7's take.

Clearly we weren’t watching the same show. I saw very little in terms of strategy or gameplay in the last series.
True but the editing and format is setup to be that kind of show. Compare that to Ch 10's season 1 Australian Survivor, where there was not much strategy play - it took a few seasons for it to work.

The nuts and bolts are setup for strategy & gameplay, but we were given little strategy and didn't even get to see who they really are! It was too fake for my liking and not the BB I know and love.

You would hope it does improve from that angle, but bringing it back to the house and the house really wasn't designed for the format they want to use. Credit to the US who when switching to a more strategic format way back in 2001 knew that giving people smaller more private spaces was what was required to make it work, and crucially the key decision maker a private space of their own.

They should include a slide in the house, and a machine that gives out candy.

True but the editing and format is setup to be that kind of show. Compare that to Ch 10's season 1 Australian Survivor, where there was not much strategy play - it took a few seasons for it to work.

The nuts and bolts are setup for strategy & gameplay, but we were given little strategy and didn't even get to see who they really are! It was too fake for my liking and not the BB I know and love.

Didn't the strategy really start in the second season of Aus survivor? I remember reading some international viewers were really impressed with that season.

Didn't the strategy really start in the second season of Aus survivor? I remember reading some international viewers were really impressed with that season.
I think most here will agree that if they’ve stripped the vast majority of the old format away the emphasis should be on strategy as the story driver. The main issue with the last season format is timing and structure. There wasn’t enough time for strategy to develop when the majority of the gameplay was backloaded in to the episode.

IMO extending the eviction cycle over two or three episodes for at least 50% of the series would be a major improvement. This allows for more time between key events for story to develop and ample time devoted to non-gameplay story elements in-between. They can then return to a single episode eviction later in the series as the numbers have dropped and the story needs less time to develop.

I think most here will agree that if they’ve stripped the vast majority of the old format away the emphasis should be on strategy as the story driver. The main issue with the last season format is timing and structure. There wasn’t enough time for strategy to develop when the majority of the gameplay was backloaded in to the episode.

IMO extending the eviction cycle over two or three episodes for at least 50% of the series would be a major improvement. This allows for more time between key events for story to develop and ample time devoted to non-gameplay story elements in-between. They can then return to a single episode eviction later in the series as the numbers have dropped and the story needs less time to develop.

My biggest issue is that the show can’t decide if it wants to be like the US version or the old AUS version to some degree. It’s almost like it has some kind of personality disorder and it’s not willing to take on either of the two formats fully.

It’s arguable, but I would say the second season was a big leap up from the first season. Although the first season had players that were superfans of the series and thus knew about how to make alliances and “throw someone under the bus” as they say, the majority of the cast were clueless. A few standouts from season 1 were Brooke, Nick Idanza, and Flick.

The rest were all on about “mateship” and being nice. A good season is when you have a majority cast that is willing to go above & beyond to win that quarter of a million dollars.
The last season (all stars) had some terrific gameplay which I think will be hard to beat.. All stars though eh.
Still, the casting should add a few non fans into the mix as it can’t bring entertainment if the cast are all overdoing it. You need some pawns, knights, queens, bishops etc. to bring on the charm.

Last edited:
Although the first season had players that were superfans of the series and thus knew about how to make alliances and “throw someone under the bus” as they say, the majority of the cast were clueless.
Even the so called "superfans" didn't really know what they were doing though, and wasn't "superfan" Keiran found to have only watched the 2014 series, or the Nine era at best - though guess its understandable anyone under the age of even 25 would be largely unfamilar with the Ten era.

My biggest issue is that the show can’t decide if it wants to be like the US version or the old AUS version to some degree. It’s almost like it has some kind of personality disorder and it’s not willing to take on either of the two formats fully.
I agree. Having an executive producer that previously worked on Survivor didn’t help. It’s fairly obvious that they took Survivors basic structure and then dropped in elements of previous BB’s to fill in the gaps. While the US format did borrow the social strategy elements from Survivor they’ve typically to avoided any overt direct influence.

Back