Skip to main content

THE YOUNG ONES

Hi - thought I would jump on the band wagon with favourite movies, tv shows etc.

I love the Young Ones. When I was 16 my best friend and I spent a summer getting stoned and watching the Young Ones and then quoting them for months

These are some of my favourite quotes

Even 20 odd years later I can still watch them and piss myself laughing.
Was any one else influenced by the brilliant Young Ones??

OMG.. we sow the seed...nature grows the seed...we eat the seed.... classic!!!

I love the episode "sick" where snot goes ballistic.
OMG that is the one episode I fast forward through - especially the snot scene!! And the acupuncture!~~:vomit::vomit:

I just love that Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson and Hugh Laurie were involved in this crazy tv show.
Particularly in the Bambi episode (another one of my faves)

Well thank u @MsBunnie for having the same crazy sense of humour as me to respond!!!

I fucking love this show. I grew up with it; from about 1985 to now I must have watched both series at least once a year.

It's funny how my opinions have changed over time; as a kid I didn't like Mike at all and loved Neil, but now Neil's my least favourite character and I love Mike, 'the cool person'. Some of his lines are just so subtle and weird, like:

"I don't like to say anything negative, but no."
and
"Now, wait a minute, Rick. I'm the one who gets the girls around here. There could be a copyright problem."

There's been a bunch of times when my neighbours have been too loud and pissed me off, and I've been very tempted to shout Vyvyan's line from 'Time': "Shut up you bastards!" (but of course I've never had the balls).

It's too hard to come up with a 'favourite ' quote, but I always loved Neil's letter asking for an extension on his overdraft from his bank manager:

"Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money, you bastard. May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Neil."

:inlove: :notworthy: :happy:

I liked them at the time but always preferred Monty Python. Still do.

Kinda right there with you Khun Khun; if you take the very best of Monty Python vs. the very best of The Young Ones, I'd pick Python for sure.

But when Young Ones did only 12 episodes in total, while Python did 45 episodes (which were pretty hit and miss), I find it a bit hard to pick a favourite. Overall, I think I'd have to go with Python; if nothing else the films Holy Grail and Life of Brian are pretty much the funniest movies ever made!

:)

Kinda right there with you Khun Khun; if you take the very best of Monty Python vs. the very best of The Young Ones, I'd pick Python for sure.

But when Young Ones did only 12 episodes in total, while Python did 45 episodes (which were pretty hit and miss), I find it a bit hard to pick a favourite. Overall, I think I'd have to go with Python; if nothing else the films Holy Grail and Life of Brian are pretty much the funniest movies ever made!

:)
Python will be quoted from here to eternity. Their lines can be used in everyday conversations and if others picks them up, great, if they don't, you've had a little amusing moment with yourself. I like to throw in the Spanish Inquisition from time to time and see what follows. Why? Because no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Glad to see some other Monty Python appreciators, thanks for the reminder! So many memorable scenes, jokes and characters. Comic geniuses.
  1. Biggus Dickus & Incontinentia Buttocks - their faces were so funny trying not to laugh
  2. Dark Knight - armeless & legless: "I'll bite your legs off!"
  3. He's not the Messiah. He's a VERY NAUGHTY BOY! - the no. of times I've used that one.
  4. Strung up on the cross signing "always look on the bright side of life" (Jason's wrapped in sheets pic reminded me of it)
  5. Waiter: "Just a tiny....thin....wafer?" Mr. Creosote: "No. Bugger off." Waiter" Just one?" Creosote: "OK" - then Cleese high tailing it outta there as fast as he can, all gangly, diving over the counter.
Not to forget John Cleese - "Basil" (my favourite pronunciation when cooking and looking for the basil) and of course the hilarious.... Silly Walks routine.
The gift that keeps giving!​

Liked the Young Ones too, but don't know it so well. Recall a skit to do with the TV (and repairman?) was hilariously funny.

images

Yes
Young Ones = funny writers, good actors, short term
Monty Python = brilliant comedians/actors/writers, long term group

However Monty Python didn't have The Damned, Motorhead or Madness!! :asshat::cat:

Python will be quoted from here to eternity. Their lines can be used in everyday conversations and if others picks them up, great, if they don't, you've had a little amusing moment with yourself. I like to throw in the Spanish Inquisition from time to time and see what follows. Why? Because no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Fetch... the comfy chair!

Now, Khun Khun, you will sit in this chair until lunchtime, with nothing but a cup of coffee at 11!

But next, we will be poke you with the soft cushions! Confess!!

Oh, bugger...

images

Yes
Young Ones = funny writers, good actors, short term
Monty Python = brilliant comedians/actors/writers, long term group

However Monty Python didn't have The Damned, Motorhead or Madness!! :asshat::cat:

Yeah, totally loved all those tracks!

I was also a big fan of Nine Below Zero's 'Eleven Plus Eleven' and Dexys Midnight Runners' cover of 'Jackie Wilson Said.'

:singing: :headphone: :thumbsup:

The Young Ones. A necessary show to quote incessantly to annoy other people! My uncle introduced me to The Young Ones and I am forever in his debt. I always love the half-time music interludes as stated above...so uber cool.
I encourage everyone to check out Comic Strip Presents.....
It has most of The Young Ones cast; starring and writing...with Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French thrown in the mix...
My favourite from these short episodes is 'Bad News'...a rockumentary done Spinal Tap style on a heavy metal band...HILARIOUS!!

So many delish quotes from T.Y.O's:

Rick: Neil, are these lentils South African?!
Neil: Well....ummmmmmmm....
Rick: You bastard! You complete and utter bastard! Why don't you just go out and become a Policeman? Become a pig? There's no difference you know?! I suppose you hate gay people too! Hippie! :biggrin:

RIP Rik Mayall!:(

I watched the first episode a few months back. I haven't seen the show for many many years. Maybe not for 15-20 years.

It was a bit strange the first episode. Not what I remember, which is stuff like the Naria closet, the panel competition, the nuclear bomb.

I meant to watch more, just never got around to it.

The goodies might be interesting to watch.

I watched the first episode a few months back. I haven't seen the show for many many years. Maybe not for 15-20 years.

It was a bit strange the first episode. Not what I remember, which is stuff like the Naria closet, the panel competition, the nuclear bomb.

I meant to watch more, just never got around to it.

The goodies might be interesting to watch.

I reckon the second series of The Young Ones is much better than the first one - try them first.

I was obsessed with The Goodies when I was a kid, tried watching it later and it wasn't the same.
Sometimes you just can't go back!

I loved the Goodies when I was a little lassie...one of my fave episodes was the 'Rolf Harris' one where the Goodies have to capture all of the different size 'Rolfs'....for obvious reasons this shall not be watched by me again...:conf:
I tried watching it a couple of years ago, but it didn't seem to have the same 'fit' with my new older brain...:biggrin:

I enjoyed the Goodies too and the Rolf ep was a goodie.
I liked listening to a tape a friend made me years ago of a couple of Goons eps.

Back