Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

The media are basically trolls. They just want to drum up controversy to bring in more eyes to their websites.

I know, it's just infuriating. The whole debate over the India ban has been infuriating because no one can have an adult conversation. Then this morning reading another piece about how we're apparently wrong for wanting "zero cases."

It's madness.

I know, it's just infuriating. The whole debate over the India ban has been infuriating because no one can have an adult conversation. Then this morning reading another piece about how we're apparently wrong for wanting "zero cases."

It's madness.

Have you received your vaccine yet?

@up_all_night I read your opinion and I was slightly confused. Are you agreeing with the India ban or disagreeing?

I neither agree nor disagree. It's complicated and there are no good options. If the Morrison government wasn't shit house, we'd have quarantine facilities and wouldn't need the ban. As is, we have a porous hotel quarantine system that may not be up to the task of containing the spread of these more infectious strains. We currently have an example of that, with someone catching the virus it in quarantine in SA recently.

Last year we had to have a whole second long lockdown because of the virus getting out. I don't want that to happen again. We shouldn't be in this situation.

What annoys me is the debate over the ban. Someone on Q&A the other night brought up the Tampa, children overboard affair in reference to it. Like WTF?

Framing it down race and racism instead of the fact 40% + of people on those flights will be bringing the virus back and then placed in a crappy hotel quarantine system. That's the issue. It is complicated and this jump to frame it all about race is about dividing people. It's preventing any proper discussion of why a ban may or may not have been needed. Or why we shouldn't have been in a situation to have needed one. Or how we actually deal with safely repatriating people.

I just fear that confusing the debate, will create pressure to not appear racist. Which will lead to poorer decisions in how we bring our citizens home and we'll get community transmission again. Every one of those people who have been playing the identity politics outrage game in the media over this will be responsible for that, and there'll be no reflection that they will be partly to blame. Hopefully we remain free but reading opinion pieces in the media about how we should get over have "zero cases" doesn't make me confident. Why the shouldn't I expect zero cases? At this stage, the only way we'll get community spread again is through incompetence.

Last edited:
One thing I will never be able to accept is telling AUSTRALIANS they can't come home, and if they try, they'll be thrown in jail.

I don't know what the answer is, and of course we don't want COVID back in our communities, but this just comes back to the complete fuck up that is hotel quarantine. Why we are quarantining people in the middle of capital cities is beyond me?

But something about banning Australians from returning home really doesn't sit well with me.

@up_all_night I read your opinion and I was slightly confused. Are you agreeing with the India ban or disagreeing?
mud-man-picture-id185318786

Back