Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I missed the press conference, but did hear the news.
Are they saying why AstraZeneca is ok for over 50’s in regards to blood clots, etc?

I don’t think so. Interestingly Phillipines have stopped it for under 60’s.

I would not risk that vaccine even at an older age.

So why argue against delivering a vaccine that experts say is safe and effective to under 50s? The simple explanation is that it comes down to a balancing of risks.

If the risk of death from COVID-19 is very low is it worth delivering a vaccine that carries the (rare) risk of a deadly blood clot?

Not everyone agrees with where the government has landed and experts stress the advice not to use the AZ vaccine on under 50s is not an order it’s simply the official advice.

You can still choose to have the vaccine if you wish to take an informed risk.

“The key principle of our management of the COVID-19 pandemic has always been to base our decisions on the expert medical advice,’’ the PM said.

“It has not been our practice to jump at shadows. It has not been our practice to take unnecessary precautions.”

The official advice now recommends the following: at the current time, the use of the Pfizer vaccine is preferred over the AstraZeneca vaccine in adults aged less than 50 years who have not already received a first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine.

The chief medical officer Paul Kelly said this is based both on the increased risk of complications from COVID-19 with increasing age, and thus increased benefit of the vaccination, and the potentially lower, but not zero risk, of this rare event with increasing age.

The second recommendation is that immunisation providers should only give a first dose of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to adults under 50 years of age where benefit clearly outweighs the risk for that individual’s circumstances.

The third recommendation is that people that have had their first dose of the COVID-19 AstraZeneca without any serious adverse events can safely be given their second dose.

This includes adults under the age of 50, and people who have had blood clots associated with low platelet levels after their first dose of COVID-19 AstraZeneca should not be given the second dose.

Still all very confusing. Considering I'm in the last group, I may get a choice in what vaccine I get?

This article has a bit more information, but also has a good description of all the vaccines..

Interestingly, AZ has an efficacy rate of 82% after the second dose, compared with Pfizer with a 95% efficacy rate.

Feeling fine today, felt shit for 1 day, and milder shit for another day
If blood clots are coming, you would feel very ill and clots come within 10 days

Lovely feeling when the doctor administering and advising tells me.....within a few days you will have produced
LOTS of anti bodies and will be much safer
Most important for me, it will now be safe for me to visit my friend who is dying, I won’t be unconsciously dangerous to her.

Feeling fine today, felt shit for 1 day, and milder shit for another day
If blood clots are coming, you would feel very ill and clots come within 10 days

Lovely feeling when the doctor administering and advising tells me.....within a few days you will have produced
LOTS of anti bodies and will be much safer
Most important for me, it will now be safe for me to visit my friend who is dying, I won’t be unconsciously dangerous to her.

Timeframe given by the government is between 4 and 20 days. So much wider than the 10 days that you raised.

PM is embarrassing
He bumbles and fumbles....and never stops fucking up
His resting smug face makes me want to smash tvs

Do you think libs will hang on to him until just before an election, and then dump him
who can be next?
Do they have anyone left? Nobody would vote for creepy Voldemort ie Dutton

PM is embarrassing
He bumbles and fumbles....and never stops fucking up
His resting smug face makes me want to smash tvs

Do you think libs will hang on to him until just before an election, and then dump him
who can be next?
Do they have anyone left? Nobody would vote for creepy Voldemort ie Dutton

I think the only people who see it your way are ALP supporters and Morrison haters. (Which are not necessarily mutually exclusive)

Liberals and most political neutral people like Morrison. I think he is a great leader. Plus he is still winning the preferred prime minister polls against Albanese.

We would be in a huge AstraZeneca bloodclot mess if we had a Labor government as they have criticised the government for not having a quick vaccine rollout.

I think the only people who see it your way are ALP supporters.

Liberals and most political neutral people like Morrison. I think he is a great leader. Plus he is still winning the preferred prime minister polls against Albanese.

We would be in a huge AstraZeneca bloodclot mess if we had a Labor government as they have criticised the government for not having a quick vaccine rollout.

He's an awful leader.

Back