Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Meanwhile.... Texas (population approx 29million) just hit 1million coronavirus cases. California (population approx40 million) is also not far off the 1 million mark (approx 966k). The USA just hit 10 million cases all together.

But what we are not hearing is anyone from the government constantly telling the public to go and get tested if they have any sort of symptoms. I don't think many people are getting tested at all during this great weather in Melbourne.
They’re still saying it but with the double doughnut days mounting up and the US elections providing endless content, the media has decided to move on.

Power trip.

I am still wondering when he will allow some office workers to return to work? It's pretty much everyone else is back at work now in some form or another except many city and possibly suburban office workers. What's the difference with confined indoor workplaces in a retail environment compared to an indoor office environment? Gees all I can say is if your an office worker and claiming Jobkeeper enjoy your paid holiday as you probably won't have to return to any sort of work until probably next year. Then if the cases rise again they might not ever return to work again at all for a very long time.

It's also funny on TV I see government ads trying to get young people into apprenticeships etc and I also hear ads on the radio about all the jobs people can now try and get in the government and the building industry here etc. But I think all the national Job Network offices are still all closed here in Melbourne which also means none of the unemployed people on Jobseeker allowance have to do any sort of job searching or attend any job interviews because they are also basically still on paid holidays like office workers until the office worker restrictions are lifted.

With all the emphasis on getting young people jobs, if you’re over 50 and out of work you’re probably retired.

Been watching all the news reports about Adelaide and the virus cluster at the moment. All I can say is please anyone in that area grab yourself some face masks and start wearing them immediately when going out to shops etc. Don't wait until it's too late you have to try and protect yourself as soon as possible. You don't know how many more people probably have it and also where they have been already, it can take upto 2 weeks before someone can show any symptoms. You can't wait or rely on the government until it gets really bad before they start telling everyone to wear face masks when in lockdown.

It's better as a precaution to wear a face mask when going out and about now knowing that a cluster is starting and growing in the community. I know I started to wear one here in Melbourne well before they were made mandatory by the government. In the case of this dreaded virus it's a case of prevention is better than the cure (as there really is no cure). I now just throw on a face mask everyday before I leave the front door it's sad but it's become the norm around here for a while now. I will also probably keep wearing a face mask for a very long time even if they are no longer compulsory from the government.

Been watching all the news reports about Adelaide and the virus cluster at the moment. All I can say is please anyone in that area grab yourself some face masks and start wearing them immediately when going out to shops etc. Don't wait until it's too late you have to try and protect yourself as soon as possible. You don't know how many more people probably have it and also where they have been already, it can take upto 2 weeks before someone can show any symptoms. You can't wait or rely on the government until it gets really bad before they start telling everyone to wear face masks when in lockdown.

It's better as a precaution to wear a face mask when going out and about now knowing that a cluster is starting and growing in the community. I know I started to wear one here in Melbourne well before they were made mandatory by the government. In the case of this dreaded virus it's a case of prevention is better than the cure (as there really is no cure). I now just throw on a face mask everyday before I leave the front door it's sad but it's become the norm around here for a while now. I will also probably keep wearing a face mask for a very long time even if they are no longer compulsory from the government.
I ventured onto public transport in Adelaide for the first time all year last Wednesday, and now I am really regretting it. Mask wearing is not something I have seen anyone in Adelaide doing so it is about to get very real for people in this state.

Reactions: kxk
I ventured onto public transport in Adelaide for the first time all year last Wednesday, and now I am really regretting it. Mask wearing is not something I have seen anyone in Adelaide doing so it is about to get very real for people in this state.

Luckily I haven't been on any public transport for a few years now. Believe me it was also weird at first when I started wearing one, but you will notice that more and more people will be wearing them when you go out as time goes on. Also I do the weekly shopping at the shopping centre and i'm in there for over 1 hour and I just know there is people walking around shopping and possibly have this virus and not being tested. I also don't want to try and catch it not only for my own health but I don't want to give to other family members here.

One bonus thing I have noticed about wearing a face mask especially when mowing the lawns around here is how much less dust I am now getting entering my airways. Sometimes it's really dusty and dry around here and the mask wearing actually keeps my airways clear. Before I used to mow without any mask at all and I would sometimes be coughing from all the dust and dirt inhalation. Now I will always be wearing a face mask when I mow the lawns outside.

SA in hard 6 day (at least) lockdown from midnight tonight. One person from each household allowed to do essential shopping, and that's all.
I went to the supermarket for food supplies and the lineup was insane.

SA in hard 6 day (at least) lockdown from midnight tonight. One person from each household allowed to do essential shopping, and that's all.
I went to the supermarket for food supplies and the lineup was insane.
OMG it is crazy town at the supermarket isn't it! It is shopping day for us and we were going to do an online shop tonight but with the announcement we thought we better go as we thought there may ot be anything to order online. If I could have held off i would have but we were out of essentials (bread milk, veg and cat food! ) Stay safe

OMG it is crazy town at the supermarket isn't it! It is shopping day for us and we were going to do an online shop tonight but with the announcement we thought we better go as we thought there may ot be anything to order online. If I could have held off i would have but we were out of essentials (bread milk, veg and cat food! ) Stay safe
My regular shopping day is Thursday, but when the news broke I went with my brother today instead. He has had to cancel a 3 day camping/kayaking trip, but is glad he hadn't left already, as he would have been there before midnight, but then unable to come home.
We have enough essentials to get us through (including cat food), but couldn't get any bread, and forgot pasta sauce for planned spaghetti on one of the days. First world problems though, as long as everyone stays safe we can bear it.

What do you think of this 'Hard' lockdown?
Genuinely asking people's opinions, as I think it varies greatly, depending on where you live.

As a Sydneysider, I personally cannot wrap my head around the constant need of Premiers to lock down their states every time there is a slight little cluster. I completely understand the need to protect their citizens, but ultimately COVID isn't going anywhere and we need to learn to live with it as best we can. The carry on from the WA & QLD Premiers is a joke, and ultimately, they are only hurting their citizens & economies.

Contact tracing is ultimately what will save us, and I am thankful that NSW has the best contact tracing in the world, and we really should role it out to other states on a national platform.

Here's to hoping that the borders are all reopened by Christmas, as I really want Aussie's to be able to celebrate with their families after this atrocious year.

Stay safe in SA!

From a personal point of view, if I have to make some sacrifices to keep myself and others safe then so be it. Staying home is not that bad.
From a business point of view, I worry about those who are losing huge amounts of money by having to close.

Hopefully is won't be as bad in Adelaide as it was in Melbourne. I do all the weekly shopping here during the whole lockdown here in Melbourne and the only main thing that wasn't available from the supermarkets for a while was toilet paper, napkins and tissues. Yes also sometimes pasta and sauce were scarce but after a few weeks and when the supermarkets started to impose limits on buying you can start to see some more items on the shelves again. What I was doing was you just learn to buy what is available at the supermarket when you are there (as you can't find your regular items for a while). I also was going to 3 supermarkets and just trying to get whatever food items were available to get by for another week.

Also try any local smaller retail shops around your area to see if they have any items available like toilet paper etc. You'd be suprised what some small no name retailers actually have in stock. I found a small shop here that had toilet paper when all the big retailers had none.

Good luck and all the best to you over there in South Australia. Hoping it will settle down and sort itself out alot sooner than what we went through here in Melbourne.

Its tough for me to answer from a personal perspective as my partner and I both work from home pre covid anyway so its not any great hardship to stay home for a few days. But I do know we are not everyone else! I feel for the small businesses shut-downs hurt but I hope that this has been done smart. Go in fast and nip it the bud so things can reopen with as minimal impact as possible.

Back