Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I doubt it very much.
I could ask the same of you. If we are talking about a chain of responsibility then the Federal Government has ultimate responsability, and are not on the left side of politics, so if you are blaming the left why not the right as well?

As far as I am concerned what side of the politcal fence people are on is irrelevant in this instance it is how well they are doing in thier reponsiblities.

I could ask the same of you. If we are talking about a chain of responsibility then the Federal Government has ultimate responsability, and are not on the left side of politics, so if you are blaming the left why not the right as well?

As far as I am concerned what side of the politcal fence people are on is irrelevant in this instance it is how well they are doing in thier reponsiblities.

Now you are clutching at straws again. How does the Federal Government have "ultimate responsability" exactly? Just because they are in charge of aged care? Wrong. This problem did NOT start in age care but from hotel quarantine which the state is responsible for.

Secondly, every single state in Australia is doing well except for Victoria. Is Victoria a Federal Government issue? NO.

As far as I am concerned, you have an agenda and have been on the left side of the political sphere for a while now. So I would deem your opinion on this matter irrelevant. Much like 90% of the other posters in this thread who also have a political agenda.

Now you are clutching at straws again. How does the Federal Government have "ultimate responsability" exactly? Just because they are in charge of aged care? Wrong. This problem did NOT start in age care but from hotel quarantine which the state is responsible for.

Secondly, every single state in Australia is doing well except for Victoria. Is Victoria a Federal Government issue? NO.

As far as I am concerned, you have an agenda and have been on the left side of the political sphere for a while now. So I would deem your opinion on this matter irrelevant. Much like 90% of the other posters in this thread who also have a political agenda.
how does the federal govenrment not have ultimate responsibility of Australia? if they don't what is the point of them?

Reactions: kxk
how does the federal govenrment not have ultimate responsibility of Australia? if they don't what is the point of them?

No. I am asking you how does the federal government have ultimate responsibility of Victoria? Australia is NOT the problem - Victoria is the problem.

Has the Victorian government not had access to federal support during the pandemic?

Last edited:
Quarantine powers ultimately reside with the Federal Government - it's in the constitution.

Yes and no.

Yes there is a Quarantine power. No, it has not been used in the coronavirus pandemic so you cannot apportion blame onto the federal government for that.

The power of the hotel quarantine is found under Section 200 of the Victorian Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Emergency powers
(1) The emergency powers are—
(a) subject to this section, detain any person or group of persons in the emergency area for the period reasonably necessary to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health;
(b) restrict the movement of any person or group of persons within the emergency area;
(c) prevent any person or group of persons from entering the emergency area;
(d) give any other direction that the authorised officer considers is reasonably necessary to protect public health.

Wanna try and deflect the blame onto the federal government again @oddjob ? You lefties are really good at passing blame onto innocent parties.

No. I am asking you how does the federal government have ultimate responsibility of Victoria? Australia is NOT the problem - Victoria is the problem.
From wikipedia

Biosecurity in Australia is governed and administered by two federal government departments, the Department of Health and the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment. The Biosecurity Act 2015 and related legislation is administered by the two departments. The Act aims to manage biosecurity risks to human health, agriculture, native flora and fauna and the environment. It also covers Australia's international rights and obligations, and lists specific diseases which are contagious and capable of causing severe harm to human health. Each state and territory has additional legislation and protocols to cover biosecurity in their jurisdiction, and must liaise with the federal government in times of national emergency.

From wikipedia

Biosecurity in Australia is governed and administered by two federal government departments, the Department of Health and the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment. The Biosecurity Act 2015 and related legislation is administered by the two departments. The Act aims to manage biosecurity risks to human health, agriculture, native flora and fauna and the environment. It also covers Australia's international rights and obligations, and lists specific diseases which are contagious and capable of causing severe harm to human health. Each state and territory has additional legislation and protocols to cover biosecurity in their jurisdiction, and must liaise with the federal government in times of national emergency.

From Section 200 of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic)

Emergency powers
(a) subject to this section, detain any person or group of persons in the emergency area for the period reasonably necessary to eliminate or reduce a serious risk to public health;
(b) restrict the movement of any person or group of persons within the emergency area;
(d) give any other direction that the authorised officer considers is reasonably necessary to protect public health.

Once again, the federal government had nothing to do with the quarantine in Victoria. It is a state government issue. Keep trying to suit your far left agenda though, @Isee . Nothing changes with you.

this is interesing affable

Summary of state-based legislation
As of May 2020, the NSW, WA, Queensland and Tasmanian Governments have developed and passed consolidated Biosecurity Acts. The Australian Capital Territory Government has developed a framework for a new Act, which will closely align with the New South Wales legislation. The Government of South Australia is in the process of developing a new Act.

Victoria is the only state that hasn't looked at thier biosecurity legislation during this time

this is interesing affable

Summary of state-based legislation
As of May 2020, the NSW, WA, Queensland and Tasmanian Governments have developed and passed consolidated Biosecurity Acts. The Australian Capital Territory Government has developed a framework for a new Act, which will closely align with the New South Wales legislation. The Government of South Australia is in the process of developing a new Act.

Victoria is the only state that hasn't looked at thier biosecurity legislation during this time

It is interesting. I am unsure how far those acts go in regards to Biosecurity but it is good that they are updating them.

From Section 200 of the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic)

Emergency powers

Once again, the federal government had nothing to do with the quarantine in Victoria. It is a state government issue. Keep trying to suit your far left agenda though, @Isee . Nothing changes with you.
yes i am left leaning but on this issue my political leanings have nothing to do with anything I am actually just interested in people being safe and well. I am not actually trying to argue with you. I am actually just trying to say to you that as far as I am concerned how leaders are dealing with this is irrelevant of thier politcal leanings as I have observed people on the left and the right do exactly the same things. This is about an illness not about a political side to me.

yes i am left leaning but on this issue my political leanings have nothing to do with anything I am actually just interested in people being safe and well. I am not actually trying to argue with you. I am actually just trying to say to you that as far as I am concerned how leaders are dealing with this is irrelevant of thier politcal leanings as I have observed people on the left and the right do exactly the same things. This is about an illness not about a political side to me.

Thanks for that.

Tone is very hard to read on the forum and your comments seemed very left leaning to me. 😂 Also not here to argue but it is my belief that the leaders do have to take accountability for what they have done. So I guess that is where our difference of opinion lies.

Thanks for that.

Tone is very hard to read on the forum and your comments seemed very left leaning to me. 😂 Also not here to argue but it is my belief that the leaders do have to take accountability for what they have done. So I guess that is where our difference of opinion lies.
I think for me accountabilty come after they sort the shit out. Get Victoria back under control first then work out who was to blame and get rid of the useless deadwood then. What I see is needed now is some decicive leadership to make sure this thing does not get worse and if Dan is not capable then Scomo needs to step in (hence what I meant about the ulimate responsibility). I personally think Vic needs to go into a full hard lockdown for a few weeks the way nz did early on (Go home stay home) to stop the community transmission as I am not sure this lockdown where there is still a lot of workplaces open is working. I know it effects the economy but the longer term effects on victoria if this is not got under control will be far worse on the economy. That is my two cents worth on it.

Yes and no.

It's just Yes, and only Yes.

Yes there is a Quarantine power. No, it has not been used in the coronavirus pandemic so you cannot apportion blame onto the federal government for that.

The federal government would be responsible for its own inaction. When the states have wanted to limit the number of overseas arrivals coming in, they have had to ask the federal government to do that for them. So it's not so that their quarantine powers are not being used.

The federal government would be responsible for it's own inaction. When the states have wanted to limit the number of overseas arrivals coming in, they have had to ask the federal government to do that for them. So it's not so that their quarantine powers are not being used.

@oddjob , do you really think I am going to take your opinion over that of credible sources?

1. Scott Morrison OFFERED assistance to Daniel Andrews for the pandemic. Daniel Andrews refused the offer.

Andrews was stubborn to refuse the assistance of the federal government. If he says no to the federal government, the federal government cannot do anything about it... Once again, what has happened is a Victorian Public Health issue, NOT a federal government issue.

2. What are you suggesting? We not allow Australians back into the country? In direct contravention of Article 12(4) of the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights? Limiting flights is unnecessary if a state government is competent and can control their hotel quarantine measures.

Unfortunately for Victoria - the state government is incompetent and that's why the virus is out of control at the moment.

The federal government would be responsible for its own inaction. When the states have wanted to limit the number of overseas arrivals coming in, they have had to ask the federal government to do that for them. So it's not so that their quarantine powers are not being used.

The quarantine power is NOT for in regards to the flight. It is in regards to the measures of Quarantine.

Hotel quarantine was run by Victorian officials who appointed inept security guards. All the actions taken in the hotel quarantine are Victorian based. This is a Victorian issue.

If you argue that it is a Commonwealth issue, then I feel sorry for you because you are more stupid than I thought you are.

Apportion of blame is natural. And the time will come for those to be scrutinised and held to account.
But at the time at hand, we must indivudually concentrate on doing the right thing. Focus our energies on that.
The pandemic cares not for political sides. In fact, its power is in its utilisation of division.
If we alll just do our bit. Our little individual bit is the brick in a wall to help us all.
One weak brick causes our wall of protection to fall.

Reactions: kxk
Back