Skip to main content

The Traitors AU

The casting of US reality stars was off-putting when it was announced but the format really shines through here and Alan Cummings is superb in the hosting role, outshining both Claudia and Roger.

Last edited:
Having now completed the US version it's probably my favourite of the three. Like The Circle is benefits from being a UK production, and a bit like the UK version (and indeed the Aussie) it shows you don't need obvious out and out villians to make good reality TV - just good people making gameplay decisions can bring out the drama, and this format really does bring it out. And surprisingly for a US reality show, the comedy in later episodes too.

It really is near perfection - indeed it's so perfect that when they filmed the UK version after filming this (both filmed in the same Scottish castle) very little was changed. Yet although the blueprint is largely the same as the UK version and they both shine in the same way it feels different enough to convince me this format does have legs.

Hello I am still alive.

I watched the US version first because of Alan Cumming. I ended up skipping all the parts he wasn't on screen. The casting just did not gel with me at all. I got sick of them all talking big about how they could detect a traitor and then flopping at every turn. Probably a personal taste thing I just dislike how American reality tv contestants run in guns blazing (literally and figuratively) about how they're going to manipulate their way through the eye of a needle and then never fully delivering. Also the winner did nothing. They just sat back and let everyone else do the work.

I'm part way through the British version and really loving it. Gloomy castle murder remix of Britney Spears - Toxic in the first ep? *chefs kiss*

I don't know if I want to risk the Australian version. Sounds cheap and nasty. Instead of a Scottish castle are they in a McMansion Airbnb on the Gold Coast?

I did love the US version, undoubtedly lifted by Alan Cumming, but less than a week on I really had to think then when you mentioned the winner about who actually won the whole thing.

I think with the round table traitor detections the format is somewhat damned if they do, damned if they don't. It wouldn't work if they just guessed them right early on and make the additional recruitment even more problematic.

It's silver... they can't even have gold like US and UK versions? Why do AU versions of everything have to be so cheap? lol

LOL - though silver is probably more linked to betrayal. Also didn't like how both the US and Aussie versions basically gave them the full jackpot in the final task anyway, regardless of money lost so far.

I just started watching this on the way to work recently, as my Mom was raving about the show and kept asking us to watch last year.

Loved the murder mystery thing and I found it enjoyable, some episodes were great (Murielles eviction episode was probably the best - but a big shame!)

Still I feel like there are some flaws in the show that I think need addressing, and honestly I’m not sure about how much longevity the show has, so might just enjoy it while it’s around.

The challenges, as some have explained, are weird, and while they are needed to bulk up the episode with non strat talk and bonding, it’s obvious that they will get the silver any way. How many challenges completed just before the end timer completed… That just seems manufactured and what chance is there +- 10 challenges were completed one second before the end?

The other thing I find awkward is the social element of having to lie to peoples faces in order to “survive”. There were just so many awkward moments of people ranting on how they are not the traitors are they are 100% faithful… Even going so far as to swear on their mothers life. And still not believed?

Then what’s the device to prevent traitors who are outcompeting one another from basically outting one another in revenge? Or doing a spite reveal as they get voted out due to disappointment at being blindsided? How could the show recover from that scenario?

These are all elements the show needs to face up to and are endemic problems with the formats future I feel. But the murder mystery thing is novel and fun!!

Alex telling Craig she was a traitor might just be the best 15 seconds of TV I’ve watched all year. Fucking hilarious.
Not a second of sadness or thought for the other deserving traitors that just lost out on 250k!!! All you see is this “traitors are all evil and deserve to die a lonely death” look on his face , and yip, his world came crashing down!

Although not so much a fan of it taking the US route and padding the cast out with reality stars and content creators.

And although not circumstances anybody wishes but if Ten have to resort to repeating content in the weeks ahead The Traitors AU is probably one they should give a second outing given it was critically well received but didn't set ratings alight. Airing the UK/US versions might also be an option.

Back