Skip to main content

The Rich House

sav0001

Seven are showing their own version of Big Brother next year. It will be called The Rich House and it will consist of 12 strangers living in a fancy house and competing in challenges. The losers will go live in the bunker.

This seems to be Sevens version of Big Brothers rich-poor twist. Could be interesting.

Although the Rabbit Ears forum probably gets more traffic nowadays thought this was worthy of moving to the main Big Brother forum as it does seem to be a blatant Big Brother rip-off, and that is actually quite interesting. Gives Seven the chance to test a Big Brother esque format without the baggage and expectations.

This could be more of a BB 'rip-off' than you might think.

Rikkie Proost could possibly be the Executive Producer. He was Deputy Big Brother / house producer during the Kris Noble era of BB and more recently has been Executive Producer for the earlier seasons of MKR. MKR's EP is currently someone else but Rikkie's profile still shows him as being on Seven's books under "Seven Studios" (in-house productions).

Like MKR, The Rich House will be an in-house production.

This format has been tried in the US and it really didn't work out to well... I'm interested to see how things turn out for 7 but my expectations are going to set fairly low...

Opposite Worlds aired on Syfy Channel in 2014

Opposite Worlds is a game show in which a group of contestants live in isolation from the outside world in a custom built "house", constantly under video surveillance. The house is divided by a "future" (luxurious Space Age) and "past" (primitive Stone Age) theme, with a glass wall dividing the two areas. The contestants are divided into two teams, and participate in a weekly "Worldly Challenge" to determine which area the teams will stay; the winning team is given the option to live in the future or the past. The two teams later select one of their own to be "protected" for the week, thus are not able to be eliminated that week. The viewers then vote for one of the two protected contestants to become the "Decider", who will then select one player from each team to face off in "The Duel of Destiny". The loser of the duel is eliminated from the competition. The series also features a "Twitter Popularity Index" (TPI), which is used to determine the popularity of each contestant; the most popular contestant receives a reward, while the least popular receives a punishment.

Though the show is hosted by Tipple, the house also features an electronic voice, Athena, who communicates with those in the "future" area of the house.

Also another thing to consider is if this show fails it could be detrimental to any plans to revive the actual BB in the future...

Also another thing to consider is if this show fails it could be detrimental to any plans to revive the actual BB in the future...
Probably not actually - channels seem to have been willing to try any renovation or cookery format until one stuck.

Had completely forgot about Opposite Worlds - it wasn't too bad, but wasn't too great either.

Probably not actually - channels seem to have been willing to try any renovation or cookery format until one stuck.

Had completely forgot about Opposite Worlds - it wasn't too bad, but wasn't too great either.

I suppose you're right in that regard...

I attempted to watch Opposite Worlds but gave up... There just wasn't anything in there that excited me enough to keep watching... Glass House on the other hand was actually pretty decent and could have been expanded in to multiple weekly episodes... I'm still not sure if a simple rich/poor divide is enough to build an entire series around...

Tell that to BB Germany!

I think the German BB kind of exists in a bit of a bubble... If BB 2013 is anything to go off of I'm not sure Australian audiences ever warmed to the idea of a divided house over an extended period of time...

In a way that gives this show a chance - had BB Australia done it as often as BB Germany it would be even more of a rip off. People will join the two but I think most people have forgotten the rich/poor splits they've done.

In a way that gives this show a chance - had BB Australia done it as often as BB Germany it would be even more of a rip off. People will join the two but I think most people have forgotten the rich/poor splits they've done.

You make a decent enough point... I'm still not sold on the format though... I guess I'll have to wait and see how this show takes shape before I can truly pass judgement...

Seven are showing their own version of Big Brother next year. It will be called The Rich House and it will consist of 12 strangers living in a fancy house and competing in challenges. The losers will go live in the bunker.

This seems to be Sevens version of Big Brothers rich-poor twist. Could be interesting.

My first time back here for a while, but it does sound interesting and found a bit of a snippet about it in an article in the following link - https://www.if.com.au/seven-welcomes-back-andrew-denton-unveils-rich-house-dance-boss/

"The Rich House is an original format from Seven Studios, a modern-day twist on Big Brother in which 12 strangers move into a mansion to face a series of challenges. The losers will be banished to a dungeon dormitory."

Not sure how "original" it is, but might be worth a bit of a look if 7 put it on air..:)

My first time back here for a while, but it does sound interesting and found a bit of a snippet about it in an article in the following link - https://www.if.com.au/seven-welcomes-back-andrew-denton-unveils-rich-house-dance-boss/

"The Rich House is an original format from Seven Studios, a modern-day twist on Big Brother in which 12 strangers move into a mansion to face a series of challenges. The losers will be banished to a dungeon dormitory."

Not sure how "original" it is, but might be worth a bit of a look if 7 put it on air..:)

Not so sure where they are at with this... The rich/poor divide is hardly a "modern" twist in the world of BB... If anything it should be considered one of the first "unique" twists of the entire format... At this point the only way I see this format taking off is with 100% solid casting, live coverage from the "mansion", and great story telling... Otherwise I doubt they'll drum up that much excitement with this gimmick...

Back