Skip to main content

The Quest

DigitalCorp

Always Watching
No, this isn't the failed Stephen J. Cannell series from 1982....

I don't know if this has been screened in Australia yet, but it's doing all right here on ABC.

This could be best described as "Dungeons and Dragons: The Reality Show". 12 people are pulled from America into this fantastic fantasy world called Everealm.

From Wikipedia:
"In each episode, the contestants (called "Paladins") compete in a challenge related to events in the storyline. The winning Paladin receives a "mark" of a virtue corresponding to the challenge; it is a medal that the Paladin wears. A predetermined number of losing Paladins are subjected to a subsequent challenge (the "Fates' Challenge"), and the winner of that challenge remains safe from elimination ("banishment"). The remaining Paladins, including the winner of the Fates' Challenge, decide which of the losing Paladins should be banished; the Paladins deliberate as a group and then each publicly stands behind the Paladin he or she wishes to save from banishment. The Paladin with the least support is banished."

Here's what I find interesting:
1) No mention of prizes. You would think the Fates or the Queen would mention a "queen's ransom" of at least $100,000 or something similar.
2) There is some strategy involved, but they're all looking for the hero, so there's this team-building, "High School Musical"-esque vibe about eliminations.
3) The Paladins don't really do any fighting. In one of the most recent episodes, when the big bad attacks, they run. Granted, they don't have any armor on, but I'd be wanting to at least attempt to fight back.
4) A lot of these "Paladins" have IMDB profiles.

The executive producers are Bertram van Munster and Elise Doganieri (The Amazing Race); Jane Fleming and Mark Ordesky (Lord of the Rings), Michael Williams, and Rob Eric.

It was underwhelming. The final challenge came down to who could shoot a bullseye with a bow and arrow. I was expecting just a bit more out of the Sunspear (Sun Spear?), but bringing everyone back to fight was pretty awesome. The final attack was pretty cool, but I was expecting her to stab the bad guy, not just burn him.

Hey, spoilers, dude.

That said, I am now going to talk about the last episode, too. Don't read on if you don't wanna know.

I hate it that my favourite got beaten by a bloody kitchen scale. I enjoyed the show, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was good. Better than Whodunnit or King of the Nerds, though.

RHAP has a fun podcast about each week, if you are keen.

Back