Skip to main content

The Circle UK axed

Brekkie

Staff member

Not really a surprise - although it was steadily growing and had a loyal fanbase it was from a lowbase and never the breakout hit it deserved to be. Hopefully Netflix will add the UK version to their portfolio as I think it works well for them and they produce the other versions in the UK, and have recommissioned the US one. Would be a double blow if they ended up moving the US one to be produced in the US and it fell into the same tropes that all US reality shows seem to follow.

That's a shame, but I don't mind if Netflix takes the opportunity to do some other international ones. I'd love to see India, Japan, Italy versions, whichever market they want to attract. Would keep it fresh, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next US one is a more international affair to be honest and it would be quite interesting if it was. This format more than most reality shows would suit a truly international cast.

Wow.

So, will the UK-based venue and facilities still be used for the foreign versions?

I think Netflix have already commissioned at least another US series so that's probably not too far off being filmed anyway, so doubt this decision will affect that this year at least.

I can’t say I’d be surprised if Netflix also dropped the series after their commitment. While it seems to be doing well (it’s the #2 show in Canada right now) Netflix seem to move on from shows quickly and rarely commission shows for more than a handful of seasons.

That's true - and perhaps in the case of The Circle perhaps more value to Netflix in launching versions in other countries than continuing with multiple versions in one country.

That's true - and perhaps in the case of The Circle perhaps more value to Netflix in launching versions in other countries than continuing with multiple versions in one country.
I agree. However the casting website only has the UK and US listed. I would think if Netflix was committed to more international versions they’d be listed. That said I don’t know what impact COVID-19 is playing in this but I’d think they’d be able to implement protocol that would allow them to resume production no matter what version they’re moving forward with.

No great surprise but rather than taking on the UK version themselves Netflix will just be adding more British contestants to their (US) version. Was inevitable given the inclusion of Chloe last series and the way Netflix are now casting other shows such as Too Hot to Handle.

No great surprise but rather than taking on the UK version themselves Netflix will just be adding more British contestants to their (US) version. Was inevitable given the inclusion of Chloe last series and the way Netflix are now casting other shows such as Too Hot to Handle.

Too much to wish that they might include some Aussies?

Would certainly like to see an extra week of episodes (about 16 would be fine) but I think eight contestants at the beginning is enough, with between 6-8 additions, with the US series usually on a two episode cycle.

Would certainly like to see an extra week of episodes (about 16 would be fine) but I think eight contestants at the beginning is enough, with between 6-8 additions, with the US series usually on a two episode cycle.
17 episodes would allow a full extra week plus the final. If last season was anything to go off of the season could have easily lasted a full 20 episodes.

As for newbies after the first few blockings they become rather redundant. I’d rather a bigger cast in the beginning with 4 to 5 late arrivals with a slightly longer end game. 10 initial players also gives them a stronger mix of players.

Unlike other reality shows though I think the newbies generally take the show forward rather than just act as numbers and you do need them to potentially out number the originals at the end, something which couldn't happen if you only have 4 or 5 in a cast that starts at 10. I think they need to be careful on repeatedly using the twist of having eliminees become new players, whilst personally I'd also return to 4 at the end. Even though almost all shows do it I generally find that adding more people to the final often makes them less interesting rather than more interesting and usually denies us a bit of gameplay just as things get interesting.

I disagree. The format clearly favours the original cast or the occasional early additions. The newbies become more and more pointless as the series progresses. Paddy being the latest addition to have won having been introduced in episode 10, followed by Natalya who entered in episode 5, all other winners have been original players.

Back