Skip to main content

The Circle on Netflix

So I notice in the opening sequence they show traffic driving on the right side of the road, obviously with the intention of making the show appear to have been taped in the US (not sure which city's views they are showing though). Have been looking out for any give away clues that it's in the UK. So far, the big fused power plugs they use in Britain are the only thing I've noticed. Have you spotted anything else, @Kingston? You might be better at this.

G_3d_plug_l.png

So I notice in the opening sequence they show traffic driving on the right side of the road, obviously with the intention of making the show appear to have been taped in the US (not sure which city's views they are showing though). Have been looking out for any give away clues that it's in the UK. So far, the big fused power plugs they use in Britain are the only thing I've noticed. Have you spotted anything else, @Kingston? You might be better at this.

G_3d_plug_l.png

I haven't spotted anything per say but I do know that they filmed the series in the UK... You can tell by the weather that it was some time prior to the filming of the second UK series. Also the audition site had a requirement to travel to the UK for filming. I follow most of the cast on Twitter and they've made slight references to having filmed in the UK as well.

I haven't spotted anything per say but I do know that they filmed the series in the UK... You can tell by the weather that it was some time prior to the filming of the second UK series. Also the audition site had a requirement to travel to the UK for filming. I follow most of the cast on Twitter and they've made slight references to having filmed in the UK as well.
Yeah I know it's irrelevant to the show itself, and the majority of viewers will have no idea... just amusing myself by trying to spot any of the little details that give it away. I'll keep looking.

Yeah I know it's irrelevant to the show itself, and the majority of viewers will have no idea... just amusing myself by trying to spot any of the little details that give it away. I'll keep looking.

I will as well... And yes I agree that it does seem like they are trying extremely hard to be as nondescript as possible with the location.

Have been looking out for any give away clues that it's in the UK. So far, the big fused power plugs they use in Britain are the only thing I've noticed. Have you spotted anything else, @Kingston? You might be better at this.

Funny you should ask this - I was reading this article the other day which has shown they've tried to obscure the fact it was filmed in the UK by including overhead shots of the city of Chicago during transition scenes. Apparently landmarks such as the "Adler Planetarium" and "Willis Tower" have been shown.

You can tell by the weather that it was some time prior to the filming of the second UK series
Looking at the cast's social media, the series was most likely filmed in August. They all seem to have been absent from early August for a number of weeks.

Funny you should ask this - I was reading this article the other day which has shown they've tried to obscure the fact it was filmed in the UK by including overhead shots of the city of Chicago during transition scenes. Apparently landmarks such as the "Adler Planetarium" and "Willis Tower" have been shown.
Thanks for the link, so they spotted the power points/plugs as well! Wasn't sure which city they had used but Chicago there you go. Noted Smalltown Boy when they played it. Wonder if that was a deliberate but sly wink by producers? Not sure what else inside the apartments could be noticeable as being non-US but I'll keep looking. The world is so global now.

(As an aside, when I went to vote at the AU Embassy in Phnom Penh, I noted it was kitted out with AU/NZ style power points. I commented to the guy "wow, it really is Australia in here!"

Not sure what else inside the apartments could be noticeable as being non-US but I'll keep looking
The only thing I can think off is while people are chatting through The Circle and they're cooking at the same time - the brands on the products used would give it away. I can't imagine that they would import weeks worth of food from the US for each player just on the off-chance that the logo would be visible on footage they decided to use.

The only thing I can think off is while people are chatting through The Circle and they're cooking at the same time - the brands on the products used would give it away. I can't imagine that they would import weeks worth of food from the US for each player just on the off-chance that the logo would be visible on footage they decided to use.

Even in the UK version alcohol and food products aren’t branded. You’ll notice a generic Circle logo covering any sort of branding.

Even in the UK version alcohol and food products aren’t branded. You’ll notice a generic Circle logo covering any sort of branding.
You can still tell by looking at the entire packaging though

You can still tell by looking at the entire packaging though

Not really... I remember Aiden eat instant ramen a lot and the entire container was stripped of all branding. I also can’t think of any other containers or items given to any of the players that had anything other than just a generic black circle logo on it.

Ha, it's funny he doesn't understand why is was taped in the UK. i.e. the apartments are all rigged up and ready to go, as opposed to finding a similar building and having to start from scratch for a show that only has a short run per season and would then either have to be dismantled or lay vacant until the next taping.

The other article alluded to permanent residents in the other apartments though but I'd be very surprised.

I have to admit, reading the premise of the show intrigued me, but not enough to attempt to track down the UK series. Having now binged the first four episodes of the US series, I can see what the hype is about. It's a really interesting concept and I'm really enjoying the pacing of it too.

Sat down and only planned to watch the first episode tonight - ended up binge-watching the entire four episode drop. 😂 If I'm being completely honest, I think I would rate this season (so far) of the American show above the second season of the UK show (I haven't seen the first season) - it's more interesting to see the relationships forming than just having everyone talking about who they think is/isn't catfishing.

I'm really loving the fact that this season is playing out so differently to the second season of the UK show - going in there was a part of me that was fearful that it could play out like BBUSA in that the seasons could all unfold in almost the exact same way and take away all the enjoyment. It's making me look forward to any future seasons of the show from any country since obviously the casting is key to producing something different each season, even if they're following the same format.

Are the next four eps out yet?

Also, I'm not missing the host/audience bits in the slightest.

Are the next four eps out yet?
Yip. They dropped at 7pm AEDT yesterday.

From what I've seen, this week's episodes haven't been ripped from Netflix and spread across the internet yet. Last week it happened within ten minutes of being officially released.

Yip. They dropped at 7pm AEDT yesterday.

From what I've seen, this week's episodes haven't been ripped from Netflix and spread across the internet yet. Last week it happened within ten minutes of being officially released.
Bugger.

Back