Skip to main content

The Beach Boys Megathread

I'd also add "Wonderful", "Love To Say Dada", "Wind Chimes", "Caroline, No", "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On my Shoulder)" and "Child Is The Father Of The Man". Each of those songs completely blew my mind when I heard them.

If you ever get around to it, you should totally check out All Summer Long, Surf's Up, Holland and Love You. This thread is young, but if you hang around, some of that material might show up ;)

I missed out on seeing them during their Aussie tour, but in a way I think it's for the best. It'd destroy me to see Brian the way he is now, he essentially committed suicide in the late 70's and hasn't been the same since. I'm just glad that he has a better group of people looking out for him this time :)

Wow, those are some of the albums I've always wanted to check out! I do have a sweet Good Vibrations: 30 Years... boxset that's a lot more comprehensive than your average "Best Of," but there's always been a bunch of tracks I've been curious about.

Yeah, it's pretty tragic about Brian. Have you read his autobiography 'Wouldn't It Be Nice?" It's a brilliant read. It's crazy how he took drugs to the point where he basically lost his mind, smoked so many cigarettes that he fucked up his glorious voice, and ended up weighing over 300 pounds and couldn't even tie his own shoelaces. But then he lost all the weight and seemed to pretty much get his shit together. But he was never quite the same, and some of the magic was gone.

I love Mike's voice, but from what Brian says in the book, he is an absolute arsehole!

Even though it was a let down after SMiLE itself wasn't delivered, I think Smiley Smile is still a brilliant album and one of my favourites. Tracks like "Little Pad" & "With Me Tonight"; oh, back in the day of sitting with the stereo cranked at night with a few candles going and smoking a few pipes (tobacco, of course!)

;)

Bit o' fluff because I revere these two gentlemen... and not just for the music.

These are my sound tech heroes/gurus - George Martin in studio and Beach Boys on stage. Both genius.
When a thread starts about Beach Boys and George Martin's name comes up quickly I tend to get excited.

Bit o' fluff because I revere these two gentlemen... and not just for the music.

These are my sound tech heroes/gurus - George Martin in studio and Beach Boys on stage. Both genius.
When a thread starts about Beach Boys and George Martin's name comes up quickly I tend to get excited.

OMG, that was amazing!

The two greatest producers that have ever lived? Is it possible that their studio work has never - and will never - be matched? Pity about the crap songs they had to work with... ;)

Cheers for that! :thumbsup:

Wow, thanks for the a cappella "HMR"!

I don't know where to find the links (or how to post 'em), but if you get a chance, check out The Smile Sessions (2011) track 25 "Smile Backing Vocals Montage." It's about 8 minutes long, all a cappella; absolutely staggering.

Also, there's a Pet Sounds box set with each track a cappella plus each track just instrumental.

Simply breath-taking!

:)

Oh my! I didnt know these acappella versions existed and listening to them now, cranking on my home studio monitors and WOW WOW WOW. So moving.
This particularly so...

And I dabble in some EDM production so going to have fun with some of my most favourite music pieces.

This thread has won. Thanks peeps

Oh my! I didnt know these acappella versions existed and listening to them now, cranking on my home studio monitors and WOW WOW WOW. So moving.
This particularly so...

And I dabble in some EDM production so going to have fun with some of my most favourite music pieces.

This thread has won. Thanks peeps

Dang, sometimes I forget just how much reverb is cranked on those vocals!

What does EDM stand for?

Do you know who I would have LOVED to hear a coupling of? Glenn Miller and Brian Wilson. THAT would have been some AMAZING stuff!!

WOW.. it would be interesting to hear your samples?
For sure if I do anything that I think is decent will share here if anyone is still around. Without making it a thread about my music, its a hobby thing and I am lucky to get the occasional gig. Sounds can be found here http://soundcloud.com/placeholderbrett There's a track there called Marsupial Underworld Shadow which I used acapella track. Would only be happy if it came out non cheesey. ;)

Now back to normal programming.

This is an early one but one of my faves

Do you know who I would have LOVED to hear a coupling of? Glenn Miller and Brian Wilson. THAT would have been some AMAZING stuff!!

How the heck you know Glenn Miller? I did a WWII air show a couple years ago so I had to study him. Fantastic story, war hero, some of the dreamiest music ever. Youse guys are breaking my mind!

How the heck you know Glenn Miller? I did a WWII air show a couple years ago so I had to study him. Fantastic story, war hero, some of the dreamiest music ever. Youse guys are breaking my mind!

CUZ BITCH BE OLD! lol I absolutely adore his work and it would be eargasmic to hear a melding of those two amazing, musical minds.

Does anyone know if a longer full length recording exists, or is it just a one off concert interlude?
Brian covered the Barenaked Ladies song 'Brian Wilson' in this short clip & the only version I've found.

As done by BNL the song gives me chills & tbh did worry about Brian's reception to it.
This short clip is warming as it sort of proves that he accepts & owns the lyrics as being fair?
I suppose its morbid for me to be curious whether Brian ever sings the rest including the '300 pound' bridge...

Does anyone know if a longer full length recording exists, or is it just a one off concert interlude?
Brian covered the Barenaked Ladies song 'Brian Wilson' in this short clip & the only version I've found.

As done by BNL the song gives me chills & tbh did worry about Brian's reception to it.
This short clip is warming as it sort of proves that he accepts & owns the lyrics as being fair?
I suppose its morbid for me to be curious whether Brian ever sings the rest including the '300 pound' bridge...

I have had a good search and I cannot find it. It may have been a one of style performance of it?

Don't get me wrong, I am a ginormous Beach Boys fan.

But they have always struck me as pretty much the daggiest, dorkiest looking band that there ever done was.

EXHIBIT A:

The Beach Boys 1964.jpg

EXHIBIT B:

The Beach Boys 1966.jpg

EXHIBIT C:

The Beach Boys 1968.jpg

* Special mention for Mike Love:

Mike Love 1.jpg

The prosecution rests.

Don't get me wrong, I am a ginormous Beach Boys fan.

But they have always struck me as pretty much the daggiest, dorkiest looking band that there ever done was.

EXHIBIT A:

View attachment 47002

EXHIBIT B:

View attachment 47003

EXHIBIT C:

View attachment 47004

* Special mention for Mike Love:

View attachment 47005

The prosecution rests.

Verdict Guilty - Now its time to go after early Moody Blues, omg. Came across some of their early vinyl and I'm like no way squares...

Back