Skip to main content

Game The A-Z of BBBA

Oswin

With the 'A-Z Big Brother' thread already underway - and the official BB site's own version - I thought it might be fun to start one about the actual Behind Big Brother Australia forums.

It's meant to be quite light-hearted (and at times tongue-in-cheek). :)

Feel free to join in / add your own (in any order, and duplicate letters welcome).

A is for Appreciation

Whether it's threads, societies, or just good old-fashioned housemate worship (sometimes of the one-eyed kind), there's a fair amount of it to be found (balanced with the not-so-appreciative kind). Notable mentions include the 'Jade Appreciation Thread' and 'Ray Appreciation Society' - both long-lasting (and resuscitated on many occasions), highlighting the dedication of true fans.

D is for Debate

From current housemates and previous winners, to topics like bringing back the live feeds. The forum debates are usually interesting, sometimes fiery and often hilarious.

S is for Sweepstake

Two are running this year - the Official, and the not-so-Official. Will there be rivalry between the two camps? Will the pirates and the originals get along? Which forum member(s) and their housemate will last to the end? Only time will tell.

S is also for Sexual Tension.

G is for GIF Wars
They can attack when you least expect it, and last longer than Tim's 'hunger strike' in BB 2013. Whether you find them annoying or entertaining, you will no doubt be impressed by the participants' speed, (seemingly) unlimited supply of artillery, and quick wit.

L is for "Live Feeds"
Provided by Mumbai HQ on the BB Jump-in website, these are short clips featuring a combination of "live" (*cough*) house activity, kookaburras, and advertisements (that are typically longer than the clip itself). Luckily for us, the Live Feed Forum has got you covered. Bypass the ads, the country blocking and the inconvenience, and 'jump in' (boom boom) to the BBBA alternative, where you can watch and join in on the discussion.

I is for Investigation
BBBA is the home of the super-sleuths. When it comes to solving mysteries or piecing together information, they've cracked it more times than Tully did with Drew.

M is for Memory Lane
Many members like to reminisce, so much so that it's rare to not have an active thread with discussions on previous seasons, housemates, 'best bits', long-missed (or missing) members, or even the 'good old days' of uncut and live feeds.

P is for the Photoshop Thread
One of the more popular 'regulars' of recent years, and a place to share your skillz or simply laugh along and enjoy the creativity of others.

P is also for Popcorn
[See Debate]

C is for Crickets
Of the chirping variety, that is. You may think your newly-created thread is interesting, or have made a comment just to try and join in the conversation, but be prepared for tumbleweeds to occasionally come your way. With so much going on, don't take it to heart - members can't physically reply to every comment / thread. It could be that stuff is just happening elsewhere, people are busy ...or your 'interesting' thread is actually...kinda not (or the 47th variation of its kind).

F
is for Forums
You know, that place you are right now. You're welcome.

F is also for Fly-in, Fly-outs.
Otherwise known as: those who comment on a never-visited-before thread to (seemingly) just stir things up - leaving, never to be seen there again. Take them with a grain of salt (or bite - this one's up to you). [See Debate and Popcorn]

T
is for Trophies
They're something to do with forum points. And possibly stuff and things. They might also be shiny.

E is for Entering the house
The most exciting start of big brother. There will be a bunch of hm's we will get to know when they first walk through the bb house. Closed of from the outside world hey have entered not only the home, but are now entering the world we love to watch.

R is for Reply
They are on the bottom of each post and it's useful for conversation. Bad or good, be prepared because when bb starts it will be the most used feature in every discussion.

W is for Winner
There is one every bb season. Tim was last years winner. Hate them or love them, it wont matter because 250k richer they will be.

(First time doing this, hopefully that was ok)

E is for Entering the house
The most exciting start of big brother. There will be a bunch of hm's we will get to know when they first walk through the bb house. Closed of from the outside world hey have entered not only the home, but are now entering the world we love to watch.

R is for Reply
They are on the bottom of each post and it's useful for conversation. Bad or good, be prepared because when bb starts it will be the most used feature in every discussion.

W is for Winner
There is one every bb season. Tim was last years winner. Hate them or love them, it wont matter because 250k richer they will be.

(First time doing this, hopefully that was ok)

Ah the good-old reply feature. That one will definitely be getting a good workout when BB starts (it took me a while to work up the courage to join, let alone reply lol).

(You did great, but there's no right or wrong - it's just nice to see you joining in! :happy::) )

Ah the good-old reply feature. That one will definitely be getting a good workout when BB starts (it took me a while to work up the courage to join, let alone reply lol).

(You did great, but there's no right or wrong - it's just nice to see you joining in! :happy::) )
I'm glad you finally did :) And you know so much about us already, geez we really do gasbag this place out haha.

Another one:

T is for Topics
I love all topics, especially going off topic in specified topic threads :D Where's the fun if we always stay on topic hehe

H is for Housemate Hunt

There’s the Official BB version…and then there’s the BBBA version. While the former involves auditions, rounds, and keeping Star Now profiles up-to-date, the latter involves (by far) the most skill and dedication:

Step 1: Watch endless minutes of The Block, waiting for advertisements.

Step 2: Realise you’re watching TV purely for the ads, and have been for the last hour or so...

Step 3: Realise you don’t care, and embrace your inner BBBA-sleuth.

Step 4: “It’s Orrrrn!” Because excitement.

Step 5: Search, Google, refresh, facebook stalk. Find clue, share clue, search, Google, repeat.

[Time-wise, this part can vary. Typically somewhere in-between Rohan lasting in an ice bath, and Sonia announcing “It’s time to go……(pause)…..it’s time to go……(dramatic pause)…….(ad break)………(recap of stuff prior to ad break)….(etc)”]

Step 6 (optional): Wonder WTF ‘caching’ is, and have an anxious moment about your own internet footprint.

Step 7 (also optional): Discover just how skilled others are at this, and how crap you are. Also discover that facebook stalking comes with risks - in particular that the ‘add friend’ button is perilously close to the ‘Home’ button. Breathe a sigh of relief that you haven’t just added a bunch of strangers and blown your cover.

Step 8: Success! Much celebration.

Step 9: Update score, ie; Alex 0, BBBA 5.

Step 10: Wait for ‘exclusives’ to appear on other sites.

(I've got two good ones about BBA, but none about this forum; is there a separate thread for "The A-Z of BBAU?")

(I've got two good ones about BBA, but none about this forum; is there a separate thread for "The A-Z of BBAU?")

There’s an A-Z Big Brother Game (but it’s more for short / one-word responses...so maybe not what you're after...?). Let me see if I can find the link.

Edit: never mind, I see you found it. :)

U is for Underprepared

You can lurk all you like – for years even – but the ‘reality’ (boom boom) of posting in / keeping up with live threads can be quite a different experience. Be warned: the pace is lightning-quick. Before you know it, you may find yourself 20(ish) pages behind the crowd, silently begging for a breather in proceedings.

The solution? Practice…and maybe a speed-reading / multi-tasking course.

Or: a zimmer frame, pair of slippers and a nice lie down. This one’s your call.

K is for Khuungh*

An involuntary sound, made when trying to suppress a laugh while reading the forums. Usually occurring at inappropriate times (ie at work, or when you’re secretly catching up on a thread while pretending to pay attention to a conversation irl), and followed by *shifty eyes* to see if anyone has heard / seen.

If you’re lucky, you won’t have just had that mouthful of coffee or taken a bite of food.

But it may pay to invest in some screen-wipes just in case…

* Actual noise may vary according to current mood and level of humour

G is for Games

While not actively encouraged by site admins, there are games aplenty. For some, participation is a way to fill in time between episodes, to become a little bit more involved in the forums, or simply as a distraction from other threads. A sample:

Housemate Popularity Tracker – Successfully overcoming a rocky start in 2014 amid allegations of copyright breach and legal ownership claims, this one provides a fun way to have your say on liked / disliked housemates via a daily +/- system. It's a light-hearted way to gauge the popularity of HMs from week to week (or day to day).

Plus: math – and who doesn’t love that?!

He said / she said – Particularly popular among former housemates, this is not a game for the faint-hearted.

Possible topics: the show, the editing, other people, personal opinions, twitter comments and individual perceptions of ‘how shit went down and continues to be’.

Possible thinking: “This is the best possible place for us to try and work out our differences. We are NAILING THIS!”

Participants must be willing to rehash years-old incidents, while also referencing more recent events. Bonus points for jumping across multiple threads.

The level of involvement from others varies, and can include wielding pitchforks, poking / stirring, demanding explanations, trying to be the voice of reason, posing genuine questions, offering discussion points, attempting to bring things back to a more positive place, or…hoping for an end (filled with hugs and puppies).

Sighing and eye-rolling is optional. Some may prefer popcorn.

The A-Z of BBAU – The totem-tennis of forum games, this one is almost as popular as Jake’s rapping. But just like Jake, it may grow on you over time…or…face eviction. Only time will tell.

W is for WHY did I not know about this thread?

This is true of many threads on this site. I stumble upon them and wonder how I missed them. Also makes me wonder why such a diverse group of people post here. I come here because my husband does not watch BB. And because the people are, for the most part, witty and welcoming. Hope I've used enough W's @Oswin.

W is for WHY did I not know about this thread?

This is true of many threads on this site. I stumble upon them and wonder how I missed them. Also makes me wonder why such a diverse group of people post here. I come here because my husband does not watch BB. And because the people are, for the most part, witty and welcoming. Hope I've used enough W's @Oswin.

Haha. Yes, love the W’s. I’m the same with missing threads (there’s a lot going on!), but we’ve been playing ‘under the radar’ and only posting every so often, so not hard to miss. :D I agree with the diversity – a very interesting (and witty) bunch we have here on the forum.

L is for the Lounge

A place for non-BB talk where you can kick off your shoes, pull up a seat, go off topic, and join in or be entertained by the chit chat, gifs, games and witty nipple-flicking banter.

L is also for Lurking

Apparently some people do it. *shifty eyes* :watching:

Whether it’s just that you don’t feel comfortable enough to join in, or you simply prefer / enjoy hiding in bushes observing, lurking happens and is part of forum-life. For guests and members alike.

It’s totally not creepy at all. :whistling:

Back