Skip to main content

TENNIS 2021

Ok friends, French Open Champion predictions. Can only pick one.

Men - Nadal
Women - Barty

Would rather Thiem or Tsitsipas win though.

Osaka’s media protest has disappointed me. I really like her, I think she’s a great role model, but this media blackout is silly in my opinion.

I heard that she may be getting fined $20,000 for it? I get that she doesn’t like doing the media rounds but she should do the media even though she does not like it.

$20,000 PER MATCH!

So depending how deep she goes, she’s up for a massive fine. I mean, she earned $55M last year, so it’s nothing to her, but sets a poor example I feel.

Osaka threatened with expulsion from the French Open if she continues to boycott the media

an alternate view
Novak after US open

Last edited:
I like Osaka a lot, but this is an over reaction on her part.

She simply pulled out of her media obligations because she has a terrible clay court game, and doesn't like being questioned on her performance by the media. Fair enough, but front up and meet your obligations. If you don't like a question you're asked, then move along to another.
Her own sister acknowledged this in a now deleted instagram / twitter post.

What Osaka went through at the 2018 US Open finale was disgusting, and Serena Williams will forever be tainted by that. But to use that as an excuse to not do media 3 years later is wrong, and in my view, kind of trivializes mental health issues.

I do hope she gets the help she needs though and wish her all the best.

I like Osaka a lot, but this is an over reaction on her part.

She simply pulled out of her media obligations because she has a terrible clay court game, and doesn't like being questioned on her performance by the media. Fair enough, but front up and meet your obligations. If you don't like a question you're asked, then move along to another.
Her own sister acknowledged this in a now deleted instagram / twitter post.

What Osaka went through at the 2018 US Open finale was disgusting, and Serena Williams will forever be tainted by that. But to use that as an excuse to not do media 3 years later is wrong, and in my view, kind of trivializes mental health issues.

I do hope she gets the help she needs though and wish her all the best.

not an excuse, but she is just 23

not an excuse, but she is just 23

Age is just a number. Ash Barty is only 18 months older, but is well and truly a class above most of the woman on the tour. She is without a doubt the most level headed and mature WTA player, bar none. You just need to look at players like awful Sofia Kenin to highlight this.

Naturally everyone is different, but I don't we can use age as a justification for behaviour. Especially for sports stars, in their prime, earning $55M a year.

For the record, I am not doubting that Osaka is struggling and I really hope she gets the help she needs.

Age is just a number. Ash Barty is only 18 months older, but is well and truly a class above most of the woman on the tour. She is without a doubt the most level headed and mature WTA player, bar none. You just need to look at players like awful Sofia Kenin to highlight this.

Naturally everyone is different, but I don't we can use age as a justification for behaviour. Especially for sports stars, in their prime, earning $55M a year.
Thanks for the fulsome reply, I thought you had given up on me. To tread gently, from what I've read of Naomi's extremely unusual background. I think she is on the spectrum. Her advanced skills at such a young age & her singleminded pursuit of excellence are somewhat revealing. Additionally, her polar opposite heritage of Haitian & Japanese (who plays for Team Japan in the Olympics) only adds to her disinclination for Press conferences. I've seen NBA basketball players walk off & are treated less harshly than she. Anyway, i should recuse myself. It won't suprise you that I've been a spokesperson at Covid press calls. It's my termperment to face close questioning. I don't think we truly want to ban her from future slams, she's sheer beauty when she plays.

Thanks for the fulsome reply, I thought you had given up on me. To tread gently, from what I've read of Naomi's extremely unusual background. I think she is on the spectrum. Her advanced skills at such a young age & her singleminded pursuit of excellence are somewhat revealing. Additionally, her polar opposite heritage of Haitian & Japanese (who plays for Team Japan in the Olympics) only adds to her disinclination for Press conferences. I've seen NBA basketball players walk off & are treated less harshly than she. Anyway, i should recuse myself. It won't suprise you that I've been a spokesperson at Covid press calls. It's my termperment to face close questioning. I don't think we truly want to ban her from future slams, she's sheer beauty when she plays.
I chose to reply and engage with you when I believe we can add value to each others points of view. I will not engage when I don't believe there is anything to be gained from conversing.

Maybe it is a cultural thing, I am unsure. But rehashing the US Open shit fight that occurred at the hands of Serena is counter productive from these media outlets.

I chose to reply and engage with you when I believe we can add value to each others points of view. I will not engage when I don't believe there is anything to be gained from conversing.

Maybe it is a cultural thing, I am unsure. But rehashing the US Open shit fight that occurred at the hands of Serena is counter productive from these media outlets.

(excellent summary of conversation...)
I don't believe she was rehashing Serena's faux pas. Naomi's dichotomy is more than cultural. I'm 1st generation Chinese. Both my parents came to the US as resident physicians working in NYC hospitals. People still wonder that I speak such good English.
Naomi is half Haitian/black & half Japanese. The Japanese value racial "purity" even more than Nazis to be blunt. She's also conflicted about the 2021 Olympics, rather a lot on her plate. Additionally admitting bias, the French press can be dogs. Cheers

Last edited:
Two epic semi-finals today - probably enjoyed the new guard more than the old guard truth be told but that third set in the Djokovic Nadal match was as epic as they come.

So glad the authories saw sense too and let the crowd stay beyond 11pm.

Back