Skip to main content

Survivor Season 35

BigBrotherCritic

Like working a job 24/7, for 2 days on the trot
survivor-35_-_h_2017.jpg

After a returnee season, its now time to go back to the newbies. I'm a big fan of the logo, its very different to anything we've seen before. The use of what I think is a moon instead of sun is a cool choice. The red SURVIVOR text is interesting. Overall pretty good.

Survivor S35 will be known as: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers, a title which brings me a whole world of cringe.

Here is the promo, in case you missed it on the finale:

The tribes boil down to:

Heroes: People who save others and army types
Healers: Therapists and Doctors (the surgeon is even cringier than the title)
Hustlers: People who get work done, such as the personal assistant... great

Seasons like this make me miss the old days of survivor where seasons just had a name as the title. I think this season could have used the "Mamanuca Islands" title that was wasted as a subtitle for Gamechangers. Still, the season looks very interesting in the promo, so hopefully the title won't reflect what we watch.

If you're interested in the cast, Inside Survivor has them all listed here: http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/survivor-season-35-cast

I think I'd rather wait until the first episode to "meet" the cast. I tuned out of the preview on the finale for the same reason.
I don't really like it when they categorize people, which as you said they seem to need to do these days. As long as some interesting people come out of it, I don't really care which category they fall into.

Maybe it's because they keep going back to fiji...maybe it's cheaper for them who knows but they cant keep calling
each season Fiji so they have to come up with these names for the season

I think I'd rather wait until the first episode to "meet" the cast. I tuned out of the preview on the finale for the same reason.
I don't really like it when they categorize people, which as you said they seem to need to do these days. As long as some interesting people come out of it, I don't really care which category they fall into.
Sophie Clark made an interesting observation - that there was no clear 'story' this season, just a series of somewhat exciting scenes, whereas on seasons ok!e Heroes Vs Villain or BBB, there is more of a clear identity to the tribes. S34 was so switched around d that it was impossible to track who had been with who over the season, so betrayals etc meant less. Tai said in the finale he'd been with Sarah since the start. That could well be true, but I couldn't say.

Maybe the theme will help - I'm sure Coach would have behaved differently if he'd been called a Hero, like some of these soldiers are.

The title sounds cringe-worthy, but Heroes Vs Villains and Cagayan are two of my favourites, and Millennials vs Gen X was good (despite Probst forcing the theme.)

I've recently noticed that the YouTube trailer machine has spoiled so many movies, that I've stopped watching previews now.

Sorry if this is old news but I don't read Survivor forums. I read today that Todd (winner of Survivor : China) was "close to death" from alcoholism in 2013 (it's on his wikpedia page). That's a shame.

I'm not going to "like" that post, but thanks for sharing. I watched it and the other clips, very sad.

It's obviously a question of costs. Everything is set up, they have local crews and support... and ultimately for viewers they really can't tell the difference between a beach on Fiji, Samoa, Cook Islands or Nicaragua. But yes the local fauna makes a difference when it comes to Nicaragua, Malaysia, China, Africa. Maybe the Fijian government has made a deal too good to refuse.

I did like the variety of old tbh.

Hope Tuttle doesn't mind me continuing this in here...

That was just....weird! I think he just didn't get the start of a possible "showmance" until tribal, went off all half cocked. And Joe on the other tribe, not doing your day job now buddy, lay off.
Not sure why (whatever her name is, that got the bonus) is on that tribe for, so she worked, raised a kid, went back to work? Doesn't make you a carer. A lot of stretching with the tribes this time around.

I agree regarding what differentiates that woman from anyone else who does the same.

I sort of enjoyed the episode, but wasn't that impressed by any of the casting. It's going to have to improve a lot to be as good as the current Australian season.

The special idol was a complete waste too.

Well I stuck my foot in it big time...I never saw this thread in all honesty!!
The paranoia in the very first episode struck me,in comparison with the Australian version.I do think the Australians seem to genuinely appreciate the game and you can see this in their exits when voted out and how grateful they were to play and appreciate the blindsides even if they were the victim of it

The super-idol was a total waste,why make them give it away? and she didn't even use it...so now what it's void?

Some of the attitudes towards people finding idols, and the suspicions, were extreme. Why are they on Survivor id they don't think it's ok to "play the game"? Why wouldn't someone look for an idol, and what gives someone the right to practically strip-search someone?

I think the super-idol could only be used tonight. So by not saving the other older lady, she (sorry, don't know names yet) has chosen what she thinks is an easier option, aligning with a strong guy.

I think the super-idol could only be used tonight. So by not saving the other older lady, she (sorry, don't know names yet) has chosen what she thinks is an easier option, aligning with a strong guy.
Episode 1 is too early to start knocking out strong players so she probably did the right thing. And yes, the idol paranoia was incredible. I am glad AU hasn't got to that stage. Although I'd be out looking for one on day one too.

Episode 1 is too early to start knocking out strong players so she probably did the right thing. And yes, the idol paranoia was incredible. I am glad AU hasn't got to that stage. Although I'd be out looking for one on day one too.

Except the woman they knocked out was an Olympian.

----

That was a bit dull. They seem so far a pretty lacklustre caste, peppered with paranoid aggressive nutjobs. But I like Mike the urologist. Also funny the chiro/whatsy calls Lauren a "Fisherman".

I must have missed that bit lol

Nah, I read it on her chiro. (Is that what they're called? They're close to unreadable on US Survivor, just scrawled over the footage of them talking with no nice box to delineate the typeface from the footage like our superior version!) She didn't talk about it.

Nah, I read it on her chiro. (Is that what they're called? They're close to unreadable on US Survivor, just scrawled over the footage of them talking with no nice box to delineate the typeface from the footage like our superior version!) She didn't talk about it.
she did on her exit interview

Back