Skip to main content

Survivor Australia 2016!

Based on that preview it looks like the show will be very similar to the US production wise which is exciting. The flashes of the challenges looked identical to the flashes of the challenges you get in the previews of the US show...

Some sneak peeks of the castaways in the aforementioned advert as well:

OMG, I think I just had an orgasm. That preview had everything I wanted to see. The voice overs from the castaways were varied in their opinions on how to play the game. Good. The shot at the end of Jonathan on the beach and the camera panning out and showing the two islands felt very much like the shot probst does at the start of every season, where he is standing in a dangerous spot, he ends on 'one survior' camera pans out..... roll opening title.

Agree with @insider06 the quality is going to be on par with the US version.

The channel 7 celebrity version was just a cheap rock esisteddfod knockoff of Survivor Vanuatu.... this is going to be a million times better.

I'm starting to get very pumped for this show. Don't watch TV much these days. So this is the first time I've seen this promo or any promo.
Do we know how many episodes a week it's going to be? 55 days is such a long time. The final like 10 contestants or so are going to be physically wrecked by the end of this.... unless production goes all soft on them and they end up with a luxury camp like in Fiji. Having lots of overnight rewards towards the end could be a way to help give a bit of rest, relaxation, food...etc to the castaways.

OMG, I think I just had an orgasm. That preview had everything I wanted to see. The voice overs from the castaways were varied in their opinions on how to play the game. Good. The shot at the end of Jonathan on the beach and the camera panning out and showing the two islands felt very much like the shot probst does at the start of every season, where he is standing in a dangerous spot, he ends on 'one survior' camera pans out..... roll opening title.

Agree with @insider06 the quality is going to be on par with the US version.

The channel 7 celebrity version was just a cheap rock esisteddfod knockoff of Survivor Vanuatu.... this is going to be a million times better.

I'm starting to get very pumped for this show. Don't watch TV much these days. So this is the first time I've seen this promo or any promo.
Do we know how many episodes a week it's going to be? 55 days is such a long time. The final like 10 contestants or so are going to be physically wrecked by the end of this.... unless production goes all soft on them and they end up with a luxury camp like in Fiji. Having lots of overnight rewards towards the end could be a way to help give a bit of rest, relaxation, food...etc to the castaways.
I am expecting 2 nights a week but I don't really know.

55 days does seem like a very long time doesn't it? Especially when you consider the fact that the US castaways look physically wrecked after 39 days. It made me think the producers were trying to turn the show into Big Brother on an Island with much easier living conditions and more food but based on the preview it does look like they'll try their best to make it as similar to the US version as possible so I expect it to still be tough but with slightly more food and perhaps more rewards towards the end to keep the castaways healthy.

the 55 days is probably to balance out the inflated cast size; which is done to balance out multi-nights.

I'm reserving judgment. There are still multiple grounds on which this could be fucked up. But who knows.

The 24 castaways have been revealed:

If you google 'Australian Survivor 24 castaways' and click on the first Herald Sun link that appears there's a whole big article on them. Unfortunately I couldn't post it here because its behind a paywall.

search

Majority of cast are white people in their 20's/early 30's which isn't surprising. I just hope the contestants are interesting/entertaining.

^ Nope.

But interesting to see they've cast a few Z-grade celebrities.

And by interesting I mean disappointing.

I am expecting 2 nights a week but I don't really know.

55 days does seem like a very long time doesn't it? Especially when you consider the fact that the US castaways look physically wrecked after 39 days. It made me think the producers were trying to turn the show into Big Brother on an Island with much easier living conditions and more food but based on the preview it does look like they'll try their best to make it as similar to the US version as possible so I expect it to still be tough but with slightly more food and perhaps more rewards towards the end to keep the castaways healthy.

If they do 2 nights a week it would have to be a full cycle each night - Hopefully it is 2 nights, but like knowing it being Australian they'll probably milk it. I'm going off the Masterchef format being 5 nights a week with 2 eliminations per week. I'm hoping they go for 2/3 nights and it isn't like 1 night reward, 2nd immunity, 3rd vote off - This will just let people watch the challenges then turn it off because they aren't that interested with camp life/strategy.

Quite a mix.
The age range is good. Ten's BBAU's average age dropped every year until it ended up at 22 (with the exception of 2008 which was booted by Terri and Terry). The ethnic mix is decidedly lacking though. With 24 contestants I would have thought they would start with three tribes, but only two buffs got "leaked" so maybe not.

Really does look promising but 24 contestants is just too many for viewers to connect too, especially if they go at the rate of one an episode. Even with at least 2 episodes a week it'll take a while to get into the core of the game and down to the individuals that define the series.

So sorry to interrupt Australian Survivor chat again everyone but there has been somewhat of a development on Survivor NZ for those that are interested.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/television/news/article.cfm?c_id=339&objectid=11668265

This article reveals that the host of Survivor NZ will be replace in his current role "later this month". This makes me think that filming will either commence late July or early August which also makes me think that Survivor NZ won't use Samoa as their location after Australian Survivor completes their series.

Actually no... perhaps it will be Samoa. I didn't realise how far through filming Australian Survivor was.

The age range is good. Ten's BBAU's average age dropped every year until it ended up at 22 (with the exception of 2008 which was booted by Terri and Terry). The ethnic mix is decidedly lacking though. With 24 contestants I would have thought they would start with three tribes, but only two buffs got "leaked" so maybe not.

There are shots in the preview that show three colours (red/blue/yellow). The buff revealed on Studio 10 was black.

Methinks we either have 2 of 12, or 3 of 8; then a shuffle resulting in whichever tribe count wasn't used (2->3 or 3->2); then another shuffle back to the original tribe numbers (with a fourth shuffle thrown in if the tribes started at 3) before we merge.

This is all looking very promising I feel. Might have a quick gander at the first episode to see how it goes. Take in all the atmopsphere and all that. Maybe the first episode will increase the enthusiasm as I can see how good the show is instead of the tv trying to sell me how good it is.

Speaking of enthusiasm, I wonder what happened to @He Who Must Not Be Named? Now there seemed to be a poster who was really into Survivor. It was hard not to get swept up in their passion of the show. They seemed to be real big fans of it. It is a great pity they left though. Well where-ever they are I hope they will enjoy the show.

Back