Skip to main content

Survivor 41 - Thursdays on 9Go!

Precisely how I feel. I understand why it happened on BBUS this year. But POC players have thrived on Survivor before. Earl and Jeremy are looked at to be two of the better winners, Cirie is a huge fan favourite and is objectively the best player of all time and Vecepia won the show so early on. I don't feel theres a need to make an alliance that is circumstantial, make an alliance based on who you trust and connect with so that it's good for your game. You're 100% right about saying if there was a white alliance there would uproar. For me I'd be annoyed wither way, I don't want to see people working together based on their status, appearance or political situation, I want to see the narrative unfold and see people be voted out due to reasons within the game's meta.

Eh, I get what you're saying when explicitly comparing end results to BBUS but it's not like Survivor has a stunning track record with regards to its Black contestants. Vecepia's win has largely been ignored by the franchise and Jeff continually cites Marquesas as one of his least favorite seasons ever and one with a disappointing ending. She didn't even get a call for Winners at War when the female winner pool is already small enough. Fiji is another season that is continually cited as poor and forgettable and really did not get enough credit for having an all-Black final three. And this doesn't even get into the actions of other players towards Black players, such as how Clarence was treated in Africa and how Bill was treated in One World and Jolanda getting called the n-word and almost getting physically assaulted in the Palau Pre-Jury and Joe repeatedly saying the n-word in Edge of Extinction. Like it or not, race is part of the game's meta now, especially with how pivotal the year 2020 was for the US and with large discussions of race within the fandom like on RHAP's Black Voices roundtable.

Like it or not, race is part of the game's meta now, especially with how pivotal the year 2020 was for the US and with large discussions of race within the fandom like on RHAP's Black Voices roundtable.
I agree racial bias does exist. However in many series we have seen black and white contestants work together well. Cirie was worked with people of all nationalities which is something I've loved to see. She and Parvati were in charge of the almighty black widow brigade, she worked with Aras in Panama, a mix of everyone on the heroes tribe as well as people like Michaela, Andrea, Zeke and Ozzy in game changers. I enjoy watching alliances form for their own story line. I only dislike S41's race alliance because I'm being shown directly why they're working together.

Not bad, but a couple of format gripes.

1) Jeff talking directly to the audience. We don't need this dumbing-down.

2) The pacing of the episode made it obvious that the random rock chooser would survive.
By placing it and the start of tribal council so early in the episode, there was no way anyone was going straight home and there'd be no tribal.

3) There seemed to be less content than ever, with an ad break every few minutes in the second half.

I can't believe we're down to the final six, and there's still no one to root for, or anything that makes them a deserving winner.
At this stage it's Xander's to lose, but only because he's a nice dude rather than an amazing player.
The other three males (and the last two females voted out) are arrogant to the point of unpleasantness, and the final two ladies might as well be invisible.
It was an extremely poor cast in my opinion, one of the worst.

2) The pacing of the episode made it obvious that the random rock chooser would survive.
By placing it and the start of tribal council so early in the episode, there was no way anyone was going straight home and there'd be no tribal.

3) There seemed to be less content than ever, with an ad break every few minutes in the second half.
Agree on all three points (well, the first two as I download the show so don't get ad breaks). No matter what they did here, it was obvious that Liana would be next out, so the whole episode was padded until the inevitable. Now we're in the situation where it appears we've gone from a Black alliance voting out everyone else, to a non-Black alliance taking out the Black players, which is equally uncomfortable. I say appears, because I don't honestly think it'll play out like that. But for the moment, how the tables have turned.

Happy to see that it was not me missing something about the show. I didn't feel the same way as the other Survivors I watched but couldn't understand why.

Is it just me or does Ricard firmly believe he's better/smarter than everyone else?

Do or Die was a waste of time, it ended up just giving Deshawn immunity and saving him ironically. I am happy however it resulted in Liana's vote off. Ricard to me seems like a satisfying winner if he should, I am rooting for Xander but I doubt he will win.

I was hoping either Heather or Erika would go. If I was Heather I'd be saying at Confessional "omg am I a goat? Why am I still here? What do I do?". If the F3 includes both of them the finale is going to be lame AF.

Interesting that the 'Truth Bomb' failed to detonate on either the bomber or the target.
What was this? I drank a whole bottle of red wine so did I miss something?

I was hoping either Heather or Erika would go. If I was Heather I'd be saying at Confessional "omg am I a goat? Why am I still here? What do I do?". If the F3 includes both of them the finale is going to be lame AF.

Yes, I can see the logic in keeping Heather around as anyone could beat her, but it seems ridiculous that she's made it this far.

The bomb was when DeShawn tried to throw Erika under the bus by telling everyone at tribal that she was gunning for Heather.
But even Heather didn't seem to care much.

There's a rumour going around that Erika, Deshawn and Xander are the final 3.

Yes, I can see the logic in keeping Heather around as anyone could beat her, but it seems ridiculous that she's made it this far.

Exit press actually makes it seem as if Xander is actually the goat that anyone could beat in the end rather than Heather.

Appeared CBS have filmed Celebrity Survivor, but it's not Celebrity Survivor and instead called Beyond the Edge, but apparently:

“Jeff Probst has been involved in the project. Although he is not currently officially attached, he is expected to sign on as an exec producer of the show.”

Sounds like a tactic to avoid a lawsuit. Celebs are the standard mix of Housewives style reality stars and those who do the rounds on US reality shows.

Appeared CBS have filmed Celebrity Survivor, but it's not Celebrity Survivor and instead called Beyond the Edge, but apparently:

“Jeff Probst has been involved in the project. Although he is not currently officially attached, he is expected to sign on as an exec producer of the show.”

Sounds like a tactic to avoid a lawsuit. Celebs are the standard mix of Housewives style reality stars and those who do the rounds on US reality shows.

This sounds more like CBS wanted something that MGM/Jeff couldn’t or wouldn’t deliver so they found someone who would. Jeff’s (sounds fairly limited) involvement sounds more like an olive branch from CBS for going around him to get what they wanted. Apparently Jeff only has a revolving 1 year contact with CBS so it’s in their best interest to keep him happy.

Well it's in their best interest not to get sued by Survivor producers - again! Personally I'd say letting Jeff's contract expire and having him replaced as both host and executive producer on Survivor may not be a bad thing after this season.

Well it's in their best interest not to get sued by Survivor producers - again! Personally I'd say letting Jeff's contract expire and having him replaced as both host and executive producer on Survivor may not be a bad thing after this season.
When did they get sued by Survivor production the first time? As for Jeff while I agree that the show would be better off without him… I think there’s fear that he’s so synonymous with the brand that there’s no Survivor without him. There’s a reason CBS agreed to put him in this position in the first place after he threatened to leave in 2009.

The only lawsuit I’m aware of that involved an apparent similar format to Survivor was in 2003. CBS sued to attempt to stop ABC from airing I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! stating that it would interfere with a potential Celebrity Survivor series.

Unlike the CBS/ABC lawsuit over Glass House and BB any overlaps in production have been approved. Also in that case it wasn’t the similarities in the format per say, CBS won on the basis of “trade secrets”/confidential manuals.

At the end of the day I think this lawsuit was only settled because CBS had a bigger legal fund and could have dragged out proceedings. There’s nothing proprietary about BB’s production methods or manuals and the formats were different enough that there was no overlapping issues.

Last edited:
Back