Skip to main content

Space... the final frontier...

...I find this article to be mind boggling... learning about new moons/planets etc is always nature's wonder in full force for me... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/01/...n-has-yet-another-thing-in-common-with-earth/

George Dvorsky
Jan 20, 2018, 6:00pm

Titan - Saturn's largest moon - is remarkable in that it features a dense atmosphere and stable liquid at the surface. The only other place in the solar system with these particular characteristics is, you guessed it, Earth. Thanks to a pair of new studies, we can add a third trait to this list of shared characteristics: A global sea level.

Visualisation of Titan's largest sea, Kraken Mare, which stretches 1094km. (Image: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASI/USGS)

Two new studies published in Geophysical Research Letters are offering fresh insights into one of the solar system's most intriguing objects, the Saturnian moon Titan. The first study provides the most detailed topographical map of Titan to date, while the second study piggybacks off this research, showing that Titan's largest seas and lakes have a common equipotential surface, meaning they form a common sea level. Both studies were done by researchers from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

Using data from multiple sources, including the late, great Cassini probe, a research team led by Alex Hayes was able to piece together the new topographical map. It isn't perfect (it still has some gaps and "hazy" areas of uncertainty), but it's the most detailed yet.

The new topographical map of Titan. (Image: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASI/USGS)

The exercise, which took a full year, revealed some new features, including new mountains (none higher than 700m) and depressions in equatorial regions that appear to be either ancient, dried seas or cryovolcanic flows (that is, flows produced by ice volcanoes). The Cornell scientists also learned that Titan is more oblate - or flatter - than we thought, which means it has a crust that's highly variable.

In the second study, also led by Hayes, the researchers used the new topographical information to show that an average sea level exists across Titan's seas and lakes. Unlike Earth's oceans of liquid water, however, Titan features water bodies of oily hydrocarbons (for example, liquid methane and ethane). Titan's largest seas and lakes were shown to rest at a consistent elevation across the planet, similar to how the Atlantic and Pacific oceans sit at a common sea level on Earth.

Smaller lakes appeared at heights several hundred metres higher than Titan's sea, again approximating something we see on our planet. As an extreme example, Lake Titicaca sits 3812m high in the Andes Mountains.

"We're measuring the elevation of a liquid surface on another body 10 astronomical units [1.5 billion km] away from the sun to an accuracy of roughly 40 centimeters. Because we have such amazing accuracy we were able to see that between these two seas the elevation varied smoothly about 11 meters, relative to the center of mass of Titan, consistent with the expected change in the gravitational potential," said Hayes in a statement.

By referring to Titan's gravitational potential, Hayes is talking about differences in sea level elevation owing to the effects of gravity (gravity isn't consistent across a large celestial body, due to differences in its mass and shape). The global differences in sea level variation, the new research shows, are within the expected bounds of the moon's gravitational effects.

Ligeia Mare is the second-largest known body of liquid on Saturn's moon Titan. (image: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASI/Cornell)

This study shows that Titan's large liquid bodies must be connected somehow. The most plausible explanation, say the researchers, is that they're connected by underground aquifers, and not through channels or rivers on the surface.

"We don't see any empty lakes that are below the local filled lakes because, if they did go below that level, they would be filled themselves. This suggests that there's flow in the subsurface and that they are communicating with each other," said Hayes. "It's also telling us that there is liquid hydrocarbon stored on the subsurface of Titan."

Titan's hydrocarbons are likely flowing beneath the surface, similar to how water flows through underground porous rock or gravel on Earth - the result being that nearby lakes or seas share a common liquid level.

Much of this is pure speculation at this point; scientists will somehow have to prove that Titan's subsurface features pools of interconnected reservoirs of hydrocarbons - a big ask, to say the least. But that simply means Titan is ripe for further investigation, and possibly a robotic mission.

...um... I think that I'll stay here on Earth thankyou very much!... lol!... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.outerplaces.com/science/item/17647-astronaut-food-human-waste

New Astronaut Food Recipe Combines Human Waste and Bacteria

Jonathan Kesh
Sunday, 28 January 2018 - 1:11PM

2f0400e40a0b43e607f5a83d49a9bb9a_L.jpg

NASA

We could start by asking a hypothetical yes-or-no question here, but if you've read the headline, you know the answer would almost certainly be "no, I would absolutely not eat food made from human waste."

But for astronauts making the long and possibly perilous journey to Mars, the question of "If you could turn your excrement into food, would you eat it?" may not be something they have the luxury of refusing. Food supplies will always be limited, and storing waste will always be an issue, and the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone isn't an easy one to pass up.

Which is why researchers at Penn State are developing such a method of using microbes to break down waste and grow food, intending to create a useful source of nutrients for long space trips. It wouldn't be like the potatoes that Matt Damon grew in a somewhat related manner in The Martian, but it would be more like an edible paste.

So it's not appetizing, but it is edible. Christopher House, a geoscience professor at Penn State, compared the food to spreads like Marmite and Vegemite in a press statement:

"We envisioned and tested the concept of simultaneously treating astronauts' waste with microbes while producing a biomass that is edible either directly or indirectly depending on safety concerns. It's a little strange, but the concept would be a little bit like Marmite or Vegemite where you're eating a smear of 'microbial goo.''

Apart from growing crops onboard the spacecraft using hydroponics, which would be costly and intensive and liable to go wrong, this technique would be a much more reliable way to make sure nobody starves (unless they're a picky eater regarding where their food comes from).

As for how they could create this substance, the researchers took a small, enclosed environment (think of it as a cylindrical fish tank) and added a variety of bacteria and some artificial waste for them to chow down on. Using a process of anaerobic digestion, the bacteria began to convert the waste into methane, which could then be used to grow a bacteria called Methylococcus capsulatus, commonly used in animal feed.

With that, they'd essentially created an ingenious way of entering waste into the tank, and then being able to harvest a nutritious source of protein and fats after a short time.

What's particularly interesting is how the researchers originally devised the idea, looking at the way an average aquarium tank can filter out waste from all the fish inside. House goes on to explain how similar this was to aquarium techniques:

"We used materials from the commercial aquarium industry but adapted them for methane production. On the surface of the material are microbes that take solid waste from the stream and convert it to fatty acids, which are converted to methane gas by a different set of microbes on the same surface."

This method is fast, much faster than any other methods for growing food, and it could become invaluable on any extended missions to Mars, or even farther voyages to Titan, Europa or beyond later down the line. So long as the astronauts don't think too much about where this food came from, of course.

They might need to bring some spices too, as there's no word on how it tastes. Which is never a good sign.

...and... from this website below... another article of the same ilk... as with above... they're trying to sell the idea as if Vegemite being similar to it will encourage people to eat it lol!... methinks not!... as I said... I'll stay here on Earth thankyou very much lol!... cheers.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...s/news-story/3110e822c58df77e0db5f71ddbe01200

Scientists have found a way to convert human waste into a Vegemite-like food for astronauts
BOFFINS have discovered a way of turning human waste into a “Vegemite-like” food for astronauts. Sounds delicious, right?

Alexis Carey
news.com.auJanuary 28, 20188:57pm

1fdd9be367ff78079f0204040b4b85d6

ASTRONAUTS on missions to Mars and beyond could soon survive off a “Vegemite-like” substance made from human waste.

Scientists have just developed the method which uses microbes to break down solid and liquid waste.

What’s left behind is a “microbial goo” that’s high in protein and fat — essential qualities for food sources needed for long space voyages.

According to The Independent, Pennsylvania State University microbe researcher Professor Christopher House said recycling the waste into food would be a serious problem-solver for space expeditions.

Bringing food from earth takes up valuable space and weight, while growing food on board requires a lot of water and energy.

“We envisioned and tested the concept of simultaneously treating astronauts’ waste with microbes while producing a biomass that is edible either directly or indirectly, depending on safety concerns,” he said.

“It’s a little strange, but the concept would be a little bit like Marmite or Vegemite, where you’re eating a smear of ‘microbial goo’.”

The study into the process, which involves “anaerobic digestion” was published in the journal Life Sciences in Space Research.

“Anaerobic digestion is something we use frequently on earth for treating waste,” Professor House said.

...well... tomorrow night there is going to be a 'Super Blood Blue Moon'... this website below explains all... I can see it now... there is little ol' excited me all set up and am ready to watch this phenomenon... and... cue the clouds!... I just KNOW that it's going to happen... it always does!... let's wait and see eh?... lol!... cheers.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...a-super-blood-blue-moon-as-well-that-depends/

The next Full Moon brings a lunar eclipse, but is it a Super Blood Blue Moon as well? That depends…

• A total lunar eclipse will occur on Wednesday, January 31, and Australia is in the perfect position to see it. But it’s also being called many other lunar things, from a Blood Moon to a Blue Moon and a Super Moon.

So what is really going to happen on the night?

This is the first time in three years that we have the chance to see a total lunar eclipse from Australia, and the Moon will spend just over three hours passing through Earth’s shadow.

The great thing about lunar eclipses is that they are lovely to watch and no special equipment is needed to see the events unfold.

2018-01-30_15-48-41.jpg
  • From light to dark
    At first we’ll see the Full Moon begin to darken. For Wednesday’s lunar eclipse the shadow will approach from the bottom-right, leaving the top part of the Moon in sunlight.

It takes an hour before the Earth’s shadow crosses the Moon entirely and once the Moon is completely engulfed the period known as totality begins.

Totality brings its own surprise. The Earth’s shadow is not completely black, but has a reddish hue. This has led many cultures, including some Indigenous Australian communities, to describe a lunar eclipse as a Blood Moon.

Sunlight still manages to reach the Moon but it must first pass through Earth’s atmosphere. This both reddens the light (by scattering away the shorter wavelengths or blue light) and also bends the path of the light, directing it into the shadow.

This week’s lunar eclipse is a fairly deep one and totality will last just over an hour. Thereafter, the Moon will begin to emerge from the shadows, and it will be another hour before we see the brilliance of the Full Moon once more.

How I can see it?
    The eclipse can be seen by the entire night side of the globe and everyone will experience the event at precisely the same moment. What affects the eclipse timings are local time zones.

r5_9_764_219_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

• For Western Australia, the eclipse occurs in the early evening, within an hour after sunset. The Moon will be low to the eastern horizon at the start of the eclipse but will move higher in the sky and towards the northeast as the eclipse progresses.

For the rest of Australia, the eclipse occurs two to three hours after sunset. The eclipse will begin with the Moon in the northeast and climbing towards the north.

Check in with your local planetarium or amateur astronomy group, as many organisations are hosting eclipse events so that you can share the occasion with others.

But if the weather doesn’t cooperate in your local area, you can also follow the eclipse via live streaming by Slooh, the Virtual Telescope, or timeanddate.com

2018-01-30_15-49-21.jpg
  • Super Blood Blue Moon
    It seems these days that it’s not enough to be treated to a beautiful natural phenomenon like a total lunar eclipse. Instead, I’ve been hearing a lot of hype surrounding this eclipse and the numerous names applied.

It’s true that lunar eclipses can only occur around the time of Full Moon. That’s when the Sun is on one side of the Earth, while the Moon is located on Earth’s opposite side.

Most of the time the Full Moon sits above or below Earth’s shadow and the Moon remains flooded with sunlight. But twice a year, the three bodies fall into line so that Earth casts its shadow on the Moon.

r23_16_779_572_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

As well as being a Full Moon, eclipses can also be described as a Blood Moon because of the Moon’s reddish appearance, as mentioned previously.

But the descriptions of Super Moon and Blue Moon may not be quite what they seem.

Look to the sky … it’s a Super Moon!

I’ve written before about the Super Moon sensation and it’s a term that has only taken off in the past seven years.

Back in March 2011, NASA published an article describing a “super full moon”. The precise time of Full Moon that month occurred 59 minutes before perigee, that is, the Moon’s closest approach to Earth as it travels along its elliptical orbit.

As quoted in the article:

"The full Moon of March 19th [2011] occurs less than one hour from perigee – a near-perfect coincidence that happens only every 18 years or so."

It must have seemed a worthwhile curiosity to report on at the time.

Seven years later and the Super Moon craze is now a bit out of hand, with some claiming three Super Moons a year depending on the chosen definition.

As a Super Moon this lunar eclipse is definitely on the outer limits, with the Full Moon occurring 27 hours after perigee and at a distance of more than 360,000km (calculated in the usual way from the centre of Earth to the centre of the Moon).

Considering that it’s also quite difficult to tell the difference in both size and brightness between a regular Full Moon and a Super Moon, this one is really pushing the limits of credibility.

Once in a Blue Moon
    According to Philip Hiscock, a folklorist at the Memorial University, USA (now retired), the classic saying “once in a blue moon” is more than 400 years old. It originated as something so absurd it could never actually happen, similar to saying “when pigs fly”.

But it is possible on rare occasions for the Moon to turn blue.

Intense volcanic activity or smoky forest fires can fill Earth’s atmosphere with dust particles that are slightly larger than usual. As a result, red light is scattered away, giving everything a blue tinge, including the Moon (normally the atmosphere scatters blue light, hence why the sky is blue).

But when it comes to this lunar eclipse, it’s not the colour of the Moon but a quirk of our timekeeping that is in play.

What a difference a day makes
    A Full Moon occurs every 29.5 days, but our months are longer (excluding February). This mismatch of timing means that every couple of years there comes a month with two Full Moons.

In recent times, a Blue Moon has referred to the second full moon of a calendar month. For most of the world, this lunar eclipse is occurring during a Blue Moon, except for Australia’s eastern states of New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory.

Those states follow daylight saving, which pushes the Full Moon into the following day and out of the month of January (the actual time of Full Moon is 12:26am AEDT, February 1). This leaves January with only one Full Moon for those states and territory.

But there’s more. This modern definition of Blue Moon arose only 30 years ago.

The original definition is as follows: if four Full Moons occur between an equinox and a solstice (for example, in the three months between a spring equinox and a summer solstice) then the third Full Moon should be called a Blue Moon.

This ensured that the proper names of the Full Moons (common in North America, such as the Harvest Moon) were correct relative to the equinoxes and solstices.

But regardless of the exact flavour of this lunar eclipse, what’s certainly true is that we are part of a grand universe, and Wednesday night is the perfect reminder of that.

...to quote myself from last night...

...well... tomorrow night there is going to be a 'Super Blood Blue Moon'... this website below explains all... I can see it now... there is little ol' excited me all set up and am ready to watch this phenomenon... and... cue the clouds!... I just KNOW that it's going to happen... it always does!... let's wait and see eh?... lol!... cheers.

...yup!... it's completely overcast this morning here in Sydney... so much for my excitement for tonight eh?... typical~... just so... typical!... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
...aaaaaah!... time to go outside and watch this wonderful 'Super Blood Blue Moon' cycle that is about to begin... I'm so so sooooo excited that I'm about to witness this remarkable Celestial phenomenon... **opens door to my back veranda for the best viewing position**... now to look up and witness this wonderous event that I've been looking forward to for about a week now... **looks skywards**... oh lookie!... a total canopy of cloud cover... everywhere that I look is complete cloud cover... not a single speck of clear skies... how unusual... NOT!...

...**Sticky does a deep sigh and walks back inside dejected**... you know what?... sometimes Mother Nature totally sucks big time...

297.png

...I dunno... just once I would love to actually see one of these amazing things without friggin' cloud covering the event... just once would be nice... do ya hear me Mother Nature?... I'm watching you now so be aware... you're on notice me laddieo!... grrrr!... oh well... back to my computer to sulk... cheers.

...stupid 'Super Blood Blue Moon'... I didn't want to see it anyway... if I could speak to Mother Nature I'd say to her that "you can shove the Super Blood Blue Moon up Uranus!"... stupid clouds... stupid Mother Nature... **end of dummy spit**... cheers.

...aaaaw!... ain't dis so purdy?... a Galaxy that looks like a cute Penguin guarding it's egg... Space really is a wonderous canvass isn't it?... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-galaxies-penguin-guarding-egg-hubble-spitzer-space-telescope/

Sci-Tech
Cute galaxies look like a penguin guarding its egg

NASA reveals an endearing space telescope portrait of two galaxies that together resemble a penguin watching over its egg.

penguingalaxies.jpg

This once-spiral galaxy now resembles a watchful penguin looking over an egg-shaped galaxy.

Can galaxies be cute? Yes, yes they can.

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope and Spitzer Space Telescope combined their efforts to produce a new look at a pair of galaxies called Arp 142, but more adorably known as "the Penguin and the Egg."

The penguin (formal name NGC 2336) likely started off as a spiral galaxy that was distorted by the neighboring egg (NGC 2937). The egg is much different from its companion, both in looks and behavior.

"The absence of glowing red dust features informs us that it has long since lost its reservoir of gas and dust from which new stars can form," NASA said in a release on Wednesday.

This radiant view of the galactic pair comes from combining light in both visible and infrared spectrums as seen by the two space telescopes.

Through Hubble's eyes

While the galaxies strike a charming pose right now, NASA says "their mutual gravitational attraction slowly drags them closer together." They will merge into each other over time and eventually lose their resemblance to a waterfowl watching over its unhatched young. The two are about 23 million light-years away.

At least the Penguin and the Egg are a lot friendlier-looking than some of the universe's more ominous cosmic creations, like the Spider nebula or this skull-like asteroid.

...today I have been so totally blown away with what Elon Musk and SpaceX have managed to achieve today... not only did they launch the worlds biggest Rocket today but they also managed to return 3 booster stages back to Earth and managed to bring the whole 3 back onto launch pads to land in a vertical upright position!... TWO OF THEM LANDING TOGETHER TOO!...

...it is simply such an epic mind blowing mission that they have achieved... and... Elon launched his car onto a course towards Mars with a dummy in a Spacesuit in the drivers seat as a bit of whimsy lol!... absolutely amazing and kudos to him and his team... on this link below... cheers.

http://www.afr.com/technology/space...-side-boosters-simultaneously-20180206-h0v0ss

• Feb 7 2018 at 9:05 AM by Samantha Masunaga
SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy rocket, lands 2 side boosters simultaneously
1517956035023.jpg

This image from video provided by SpaceX shows the company's spacesuit in Elon Musk's red Tesla sports car which was launched into space during the first test flight of the Falcon Heavy rocket at 7.45am AEDT on Wednesday. AP

In a historic first, SpaceX has launched its long-awaited Falcon Heavy rocket and landed its two side boosters on land.

It's a feat the Hawthorne, California, space company hopes will lead to increased commercial and national security missions.

The company said it was still waiting on news about the landing of its centre core booster, which was set to land on a floating platform at sea.

The launch occurred at 3.45pm Eastern time (7.45am on Wednesday AEDT) from Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39A, the same Florida launch pad where the Saturn V rocket lifted off to take astronauts to the moon. The launch was delayed several times Tuesday to wait out high upper-atmosphere winds.

7-02-2018 10-22-45 PM.jpg

After liftoff, SpaceX attempted to land all three of Falcon Heavy's boosters back on the Earth - two on land and one on a floating platform at sea. SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk has described the attempt as "synchronised aerial ballet". About 8 minutes after liftoff, the two side boosters landed simultaneously on land.

The test payload for this demonstration mission is Musk's midnight cherry Tesla Roadster, which will be launched toward Mars.

But it will take a difficult road to get there. On a conference call with reporters Monday afternoon, Musk said the car - along with a dummy named Starman who is shown on Musk's Instagram sitting in the driver's seat while wearing a spacesuit - will do a "grand tour" through the Van Allen belts, an area of high radiation that surrounds the Earth, as part of a six-hour coast in deep space that is intended to demonstrate to the US Air Force that Falcon Heavy can meet specific orbit insertion requirements.

'I wouldn't hold your breath'
If the car survives that environment, then it will continue on to an elliptical orbit that at times will come close to Mars, with an "extremely tiny" chance it will actually hit the Red Planet, though Musk said, "I wouldn't hold your breath."

Falcon Heavy will be the most powerful US rocket since the Saturn V.

First announced to the public in 2011, Falcon Heavy is expected to generate 5.1 million pounds of thrust at liftoff and will be capable of carrying more than 140,000 pounds to low-Earth orbit.

With its large payload capacity, the Falcon Heavy is expected to help SpaceX win contracts that require more capability than its workhorse Falcon 9 rocket.

"When you're talking about highly classified payloads or special missions, you really want to be sure you've got capacity," Ellen Tauscher, former US undersecretary of state for arms control and international security, who currently serves on SpaceX's board of advisers, said on Tuesday.

Musk first promised that a demonstration flight of the massive rocket would occur in 2012, but the company, whose full name is Space Exploration Technologies Corp, found that development of the 27-engine behemoth was more difficult than initially expected.

After a successful static fire almost two weeks ago, anticipation has been building for Falcon Heavy's first flight. By noon Pacific time Monday, Kennedy Space Center's visitor center tweeted that no more tickets were available to watch the launch from designated viewing points.

But Musk has tried to temper expectations, going as far as saying that there was a "good chance" the rocket would not make it to orbit on the first flight and that he hoped the rocket made it "far enough away from the pad that it does not cause pad damage".

"I would even consider that a win, to be honest," he told an audience at a space conference in Washington this northern summer.

1517952840130.jpg

The Falcon Heavy takes off. JOHN RAOUX
Tauscher, who as a representative for California's 10th Congressional District served on the House Armed Services Committee, said Tuesday that the launch would be an opportunity to learn.

"You have to be innovative," she said. "You have to be willing to do tests that give you the answers you're looking for."

On Monday, Musk told reporters that he didn't feel that stressed about the launch.

"I feel quite giddy and happy, actually," Musk said. "We've done everything we could to maximise the chance of success for this mission."

1517956006556.jpg

Starman's view of Space from the driver's seat of the Tesla, taken from video footage. SpaceX

...still on this epic achievement today... there are more videos and information on the SpaceX website itself on this link below...

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

...and... I love this shot of 'Starman' sitting in his car atop the Rocket with our glorious Planet Earth in the background...

7-02-2018 11-50-29 AM.jpg

7-02-2018 11-51-54 AM.jpg

...and here is a video of the double booster landing...

...to say that this is an epic achievement is such an understatement to me... this is such an amazing shot of the double booster landings...

nn_tco_spacex_rocket_launch_180206_1920x1080.jpg

...as I've been saying... I find it hard to describe how amazed that I am at this incredibly historic day in Space exploration... thank God for Elon Musk's visionary foresight in how he put together such a Space program... a brilliant man indeed... cheers.

...aw nuts!... in my last post I put up a video which I said was a video of the two boosters landing back on the launchpad when in fact it is the video of the lift-off itself... here is the dual landing of the boosters below... be amazed... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
...some very good animated GIFs of the event to soak in... Starman is one very lucky mannequin methinks!... I wonder how far he has to go before he's due for his first service on his car?... cheers.

m2Z8mf1.gif

starman-tesla-in-space-towards-mars.gif

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F708142%2F07b2a249-08d4-496b-a6cd-39356c44d7d4.gif

SpaceX2.gif

21985302_390198441397684_1537615312923394048_n.0.jpg

...yes yes yes... I know that I'm still banging on about this but I came across this article on this link below...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16983040/spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-launch-schedule-spaceflight

...it is such an interesting article on the future of SpaceX after yesterday's launch... Elon Musk really does intend to go where no man has been before... the man is a legend to me in the way that he is shaking up the world of Space exploration... the article is too big to post on here so I do recommend that you read it regardless... I think you will be surprised... cheers.

...okay okay!... this is almost my last article on this today... I swear!... lol!... in that last post the article mentioned this recovery ship in it for the recovering of the nose faring... I think that it looks like a giant Spider on it's back on the deck of a ship lol!... from this website below... cheers.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01...sive-claw-arms-on-the-los-angeles-waterfront/

SpaceX’s ‘bizarre’ Mr. Steven: What’s with the ship with massive claws?
0119_nws_tdb-l-mrsteven.jpg

Spacex has leased the Mr Steven boat and has it docked with it’s other support vehicles in the Port of Los Angeles. The Mr Steven has been outfitted with large arms to transport the fairing cover after it is recovered after a launch. Chuck Bennett/Daily Breeze/SCNG
By Sandy Mazza | Southern California News Group
PUBLISHED: January 22, 2018 at 8:31 am | UPDATED: January 22, 2018 at 8:38 am

It could double as a Star Wars grappling fighter-ship or an oceangoing Transformers’ Rescue Bot.

A strange-looking SpaceX ship at the Los Angeles waterfront has four articulated arms almost as long as the boat deck itself, reaching upward like a giant claw.

“We do see a lot of bizarre stuff (on the waterfront) but that’s gotta be one of the stranger things around here,” said Steve Gilbert, yard foreman for neighboring U.S. Water Taxi & Port Services. “When it first pulled in, it didn’t have the arms and we just thought it was going to carry supplies.”

SpaceX leases San Pedro land and adjacent berthing areas from the Port of Los Angeles for its West Coast rocket-recovery operations. The leasehold is used to offload recovered Falcon 9 rocket parts and Dragon spacecraft, remove any leftover fuel or other hazardous materials, and prepare the equipment for transport.

The 205-foot-long vessel, named Mr. Steven, arrived at the site in late December. It’s now parked behind Marmac 303, a barge used to land and carry the Hawthorne company’s rocket boosters and spacecraft returning from orbital missions.

The modified claw-like ship is being used to salvage rocket nose-cones, or fairings, that are taken back to specific locations after missions, according to a Port of Los Angeles report.

“Mr. Steven (is) dedicated to recovering the fairing portion of rockets, which protect the spacecraft and reduce drag during flight,” states the report, which was issued when SpaceX requested permission to expand its leased waterfront area.

It’s not clear how the fairings will be picked up by the boat. But SpaceX fans speculated on a Reddit.com forum that the arms are used to hold a net that collects and cradles the fairing halves.

Fairings protect payloads at the top of rockets, and they break in half and are released when satellites are delivered in orbit. SpaceX has attached thrusters to direct them back to specific locations on Earth. A parachute allows the fairing pieces to fall without being destroyed.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said he intends to make all SpaceX Falcon 9 rockets almost immediately reusable to drastically lower launch costs. The company has successfully brought back 20 Falcon 9 boosters, and reflown several of them. It’s also reflown two Dragon spacecraft to the International Space Station.

But it has struggled to reuse fairings.

Musk announced in March 2017, when the first preflown rocket booster was launched for a second time, that the rocket’s fairing had been delivered safely back to the Atlantic Ocean and recovered. But, since then, no progress has been announced.

The new fairing-retrieving ship arrived at the Port of Los Angeles in December, after SpaceX secured approval to expand its 4.6-acre leasehold by about 35,000 square feet — mostly to install a “submerged land parcel” for the vessel.

Added land also was provided for SpaceX to park shipping containers and store rocket equipment out of public view, according to a Port of Los Angeles report. A rocket-support pedestal, office trailer, guard shack and portable restrooms also are at the site.

“SpaceX’s premises are utilized to berth vessels that recover expended rockets and capsules from over 100 miles offshore and return the respective equipment for land-based transportation to various locations,” the port report states.

“The extended area will allow a better layout for its operations and allow SpaceX to remove equipment on top of their sea vans (shipping containers) as much as possible, and better contain their equipment behind the perimeter fencing, away from public view.”

Late last year, SpaceX also obtained approval to erect a 20,000-square-foot storage tent behind a fence on Terminal Island, an industrial island between San Pedro and Long Beach.

...and finally... my last post on this today I promise!... lol!... some more videos of that double booster landing from other angles plus the sonic booms in some of them...

...and... when things don't quite go right lol!... cheers.

Last edited:
...oh dear... things are not looking all that great for the future of 'Starman' and his car... apparently Cosmic radiation/extreme heat and extreme cold etc are going to be big factors in the eventual death of them both... enjoy them looking so pretty as they do now... it won't last forever... (this article is too big to fit into one post so I'll split it into two parts)... on this website below... cheers.

Part one:

What now for SpaceX's Mars-bound Telsa Roadster?

David Szondy

February 10th, 2018
Falcon Heavy is the world's most powerful rocket, then the Tesla Roadster that it shot into interplanetary space holds the record for the fastest car in history. This cosmic convertible will orbit around the Sun once every 1.6 years, but how long will it continue to do so, and what will be its fate? Will it still look as pristine a billion years from now as it did in the videos beamed back to Earth? Probably not.

At the moment, there are five US spacecraft speeding out of our Solar System, never to return. Billions of years from now, when our Sun has turned into a red giant and engulfed the Earth in nuclear fire, the Pioneer, Voyager, and New Horizons probes will still be traveling through our galaxy like a quintet of robotic Odysseus's.

Even back in our system and revolving about our Earth are satellites that will still be around for many millions of years. For example, one Earth-orbiting satellite, LAGEOS-1, is a passive laser reflector satellite that will not only remain circling our planet for 8.4 million years, but will remain functional for most of that time.

roadster-fate-2.jpg

With a track record like that, it looks as if the Tesla Roadster that rocketed into space on February 6, 2018 will be cruising happily among the stars as a permanent monument to the early days of commercial deep space travel. It's a nice thought that the Starman mannequin driver and his cherry red ride will still be around long after the pyramids have crumbled to sand.

Except that's not going to happen. In fact, the Starman and the Roadster are in for a very unpleasant time and may not be in very good shape after a few years. And their lifespan, while huge by human standards, may be rather limited.

At the moment, the Falcon Heavy second stage and the Roadster attached to it are in an orbit that Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics has recalculated from Elon Musk's rather generous rough estimate of a few hours after liftoff. According to McDowell, the second stage is a Hohmann transfer orbit, which is most economical orbit in terms of energy for going from one place to another.

roadster-fate-5.jpg

Where Musk estimated that the second stage was circling the Sun at a distance between 91 million mi (150 million km) and 240 million mi (390 million km) with an inclination of 29º to the ecliptic, McDowell calculates that its orbit is between 92 million mi (148 million km) and 158 million mi (255 million km) with an inclination of 1.1º and a period of about 1.6 years. This puts its farthest distance from the sun just beyond the orbit of Mars.

The popular idea is that the Roadster will orbit the Sun for hundreds of millions, if not billions of years, but that isn't the case. The second stage and Roadster are now essentially a near-Earth object (NEO), much like the asteroids that space agencies keep an eye on just in case a large one is going to hit the Earth.

One thing that marks NEOs is that they don't have very long careers. They're interplanetary jaywalkers with all the hazards that implies. Planets and asteroids in circular orbits stay out of each other's way and are relatively stable, but NEOs, and the Roadster, are in eccentric orbits that cross the orbits of the planets. This makes their trajectories very unstable.

roadster-fate-4.jpg

The second stage will cross the orbits of Earth and Mars and its trajectory will certainly be perturbed by Jupiter's gravitational field, so there is a small chance that it might strike Earth or Mars many thousands of years from now, though it's so small that it will burn up in the atmosphere. Another possibility is that it might get flung out past Jupiter or inward past Venus. It might even be propelled into the Sun, as happens to many near-Earth asteroids after a few tens of millions of years. The orbital mechanics are very complex, so it's difficult to predict, but the upshot is that the Roadster won't be roaming the Solar System for as long as its neighbors.

Another problem is that with the Roadster so close to the plane of the ecliptic, it's in danger of being struck by cosmic debris. There is a very small chance that it might be hit by a large object like an asteroid, but the greater threat is from micrometeoroids, which over the millennia will hit the car time and again. Each of these will cause small and not-so-small amounts of damage, until it could one day look like it's been shot at by a cannon filled with sand and gravel.

But the much greater problem is that the Roadster isn't a purpose-built spacecraft. It's a production electric car, which means it's as suitable for surviving the environment of space as a chocolate Easter bunny in a convection oven.

Part Two... cheers.

roadster-fate-1.jpg

We're used to stories of interplanetary spacecraft functioning long past the predicted end of their service life. Mars rovers expected to operate for 90 days are still rolling after many years, and the Voyager probes are still working 40 years after their launch. Even the defunct machines, like the Kepler Space Telescope, can be expected to be around for many millions of years in a relatively intact condition. Why not the roadster, then?

The answer is very simple. Space engineers have spent decades studying how to build spacecraft and especially which materials to build them out of. They know which ones can withstand the extreme heat and cold of space, the hard ultraviolet (UV) radiation, as well as the X-rays, gamma rays, and cosmic rays that are constantly bombarding our technology outside the protection of Earth's atmosphere and Van Allen belts.

The Tesla Roadster, on the other hand, was designed to drive on Earthside roads, not galavant between the Earth and Mars. It was made to be light and fast, and have good road handling. That may be fine on the twisting roads of Italy, but the engineering that went into the Roadster is now a positive detriment in space.

The biggest problem is that the Roadster, and Starman, and made up largely of rubber, plastics, and carbon composites, which consist of long chain organic molecules that include epoxy resins, polypropylene, polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride, nylon, and many others. These make up the carbon composite car body, the fabrics in the interior, the cushions in the seats, electrical insulation, and a myriad of fasteners, fairings, and adhesive compounds. Starman and his suit are made almost entirely out of organic polymers and even the safety glass in the car's windscreen is a plastic laminate.

All of these, at this very moment, are being subjected to dangerously high temperature variations as the sunlit areas heat to 260º F (127º C) and the shaded areas plunging to -280º F (-173º C). Fortunately, the second stage is slowly rotating, so the car is being evenly baked like a rotisserie chicken, but as the vehicle orbits toward and away from the Sun, it will produce strong thermal stresses that will produce all manner of material fatigue. Also, the rotation means that anything that comes loose can fly away.

But the worst is all that radiation hitting those long polymer chain molecules. As the rays strike, they will break down the molecules bit by bit, converting them into free radicals. The same goes for the pigments used to give the Roadster its red color. Eventually, the car will become bleached, then everything made of polymers will disintegrate and crumble into dust.

It's all happened before and it doesn't take very long. If you look at pictures of the old Apollo moon missions of the late 1960s and early 70s, you'll be familiar with the images of spacesuited American astronauts saluting the flag and the Lunar Module wrapped in gold Mylar foil to keep it cool under the harsh lunar sun. If you were to go back to those landing sites, you'd find the flag poles empty and the descent stage of the module largely unclad because half a century of radiation has done its work.

So what will the Tesla Roadster look like in a couple of centuries? The most obvious thing will be that the carbon composite body will be gone as the epoxy resins have all broken down and the carbon fibers fallen apart. The rubber tires on the wheels won't be there either.

Many other bits will have come loose as the adhesives turned brittle and ceased to stick. Even the windscreen will have a yellowy opaque look, provided the laminate hasn't failed completely or a meteoroid hasn't slammed into it. In the cockpit, Starman is now reduced to a few metal joints. The seats are bare metal frames with the fabric covers now powder, and the foam rubber cushions long gone.

Other materials in the car will also suffer over time. Any lubricants will have frozen or boiled away. Those that remain will degrade like the plastics, turning into a brittle mess. If any graphite was used for lubricant, the water molecules that make graphite powder slippery will evaporate and the carbon molecules left behind will now have the property of jeweler's polish.

It's very likely that the 6,831 lithium-ion cells that powered the Roadster will have been removed before leaving Earth. The FAA probably wouldn't have been too happy about 700 lb (317 kg) of fire-prone batteries sitting atop the Falcon Heavy, turning into a very large bomb. However, there was a battery aboard to run the cameras that beamed back video to Earth. That battery may, depending on its design, start to generate gas and may one day explode. Meanwhile, the electronics used to transmit video will very soon be fried by the radiation as the delicate micro circuits are destroyed bit by bit.

Even the metals in the car will be affected. The roadster uses advanced alloys – some of which might start to outgas. Radiation will eventually affect the crystalline structure of the alloys and may give them a patina, such as is sometimes found on metallic objects in very dry deserts. Over millions of years, some may become brittle. Some may develop something similar to tin pest, where tin alters its structure at very low temperatures and appears to rot.

In the end, if some distant future expedition does retrieve the Roadster, it will be in a sorry state – a battered, bare metal frame with a few pockets of organic chemical dust. But maybe that won't be so bad. Maybe it will give it the right air of romance, like the Parthenon or Stonehenge. Or maybe it will be regarded as a challenge by the finders, who may embark on the greatest car restoration project in history.

Let's hope they get the paint job right.

...well... it's getting a tad bit close now... China’s Tiangong-1 space laboratory is out of control and is about to crash to Earth in a matter of the next few weeks... if you hear a whistling sound above your head don't forget to duck... from this website below... cheers.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/o...-march-mid-april-according-new-esa-estimates/

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3NC82OTIvb3JpZ2luYWwvVGlhbmdvbmctMV9ub2RlX2Z1bGxfaW1hZ2VfMi1DTVNBLmpwZw==

ESA’s Space Debris Office
has issued a new updated forecast for the imminent atmospheric re-entry of China’s Tiangong-1 space laboratory, which appears to have been floating in space out of control for almost two years.

The office, located at the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) in Darmstadt, Germany, coordinates ESA’s research relating to space debris. As part of its activities, it also keeps a close eye on the upcoming re-entry of China’s Tiangong-1 space station, which is expected to burn up in Earth’s atmosphere soon, but there are fears that some of its components may strike the ground.

According to new calculations, Tiangong-1 should fall to Earth in about one and a half months, most likely between mid-March and mid-April. However, this estimates are always subject to change, due to an array of variables (for instance the variations of the atmosphere).

alt_decay_18017.70826469.png

Current forecast altitude decay for Tiangong-1. Image Credit: ESA CC BY-SA 3.0 IGO

“The current estimated window is about March 19 to about April 14; this is highly variable,” the Space Debris Office informs.

The update issued on Jan. 29 confirmed that the spacecraft should re-enter somewhere between 43 degrees North and 43 degrees South latitudes.

The Office noted that areas outside of these latitudes can be excluded. This large swath of Earth includes Northern parts of the U.S., as well as countries such as Spain, Italy, Turkey, China, North Korea or Japan in the Northern hemisphere. When it comes to the Southern hemisphere, most probably those locations which might be affected would be: Chile, Argentina, Southern Australia or New Zealand.

Tiangong-1 (“Heavenly Palace” in Chinese) is China’s first space laboratory. With a mass of some 8.5 metric tons, it measures approximately 34 feet (10.4 meters) long and has a diameter of about 11 feet (3.4 meters). The laboratory was launched on Sept. 29, 2011. Nine months later, in June of 2012, three Chinese taikonauts docked their Shenzhou-9 spacecraft to the station for the first time. The module was visited again in June 2013 when the Shenzhou-10 spacecraft transported another trio of taikonauts.

Beijing lost control over Tiangong-1 on March 16, 2016. It is believed that the space station ceased functioning due to a dysfunctional battery charger. China finally confirmed in mid-September of 2016 that the spacecraft was heading for an imminent re-entry, but they still did not disclose whether the station’s descent was controlled or not.

More recently, China sent a note to the United Nations (UN) on Dec. 8, 2017, which informed the organization that the fall of the spacecraft is expected to take place some time between the first 10 days of February and the last 10 days of March of this year (2018). Beijing added that until Nov. 26, the laboratory had been orbiting at an average altitude of 184 miles (296 kilometers) and insisted that the Tiangong-1 station and the fuel it contains, will not harm those on the ground.

Back