Skip to main content

Smoking in the house?

timmy

BEEUUUUWWW!!
Awesome site donor
Wondering if HMs are allowed to smoke now. During previous seasons, smokers were issued nicotine patches for the duration, but now that there are no live feeds I wonder if that's changed and they have an area set aside for them to partake? Have any of the ex-HMs been asked this?

Wondering if HMs are allowed to smoke now. During previous seasons, smokers were issued nicotine patches for the duration, but now that there are no live feeds I wonder if that's changed and they have an area set aside for them to partake? Have any of the ex-HMs been asked this?

I would think that it wouldn't be allowed, safety reasons...

I would nominate someone purely on them stinking of cigarettes after going our for a smoke.

Who do we think would be smokers? I'm thinking possibly Adriana, Danny, Nick, Mary and the first Charlotte.

Last edited:
I would nominate someone purely on them stinking of cigarettes after going our for a smoke.
So would I!

It was just a thought that as long as there is zero transparency in the show any more, and they mostly only "perform" during daytime hours, then it was possible they could have dropped the smoking ban as well. Doesn't mean I think they would have, but just the possibility they might have.

I can imagine the director yelling cut and someone like Adriana going off the set, lighting a cigarette and phoning her agent about her lack of lines on the show.

"I thought it was Big Brother not the fucking Danny show! Ari's face has had more lines than me. I could have been on Bluey instead of this rubbish."

I remember Big Brother 2014 season in the UK. I’d say there was a scene where 80% of them were outside smoking.
BBAU is the only BB I know where smoking is banned outright. Unless there’s a non-English speaking series that does it… Though I’m doubtful as smoking really doesn’t carry the same social stigma in much of the world.

BBUS and BBCAN are the only two versions I’m aware of that HG’s can’t buy tobacco products in the house. If you’re a smoker you have to bring your own and your supplies need to last.

Wasn’t there controversy with CBB where they had an off-camera smoking area?

CBBAU was the only AU season I didn't watch. And I have no idea why. I can only think maybe I went overseas on holiday and missed it? Maybe I should check the sates against my old passport.

I do remember watching the live feeds of BBUS in 2006(?) and there was a cigarette packet standing upright on an outside table, and the camera operator zoomed right in on it and lingered there. Quite surreal compared to AU's 'cigarettes don't exist' approach.

CBBAU was the only AU season I didn't watch. And I have no idea why. I can only think maybe I went overseas on holiday and missed it? Maybe I should check the sates against my old passport.

I do remember watching the live feeds of BBUS in 2006(?) and there was a cigarette packet standing upright on an outside table, and the camera operator zoomed right in on it and lingered there. Quite surreal compared to AU's 'cigarettes don't exist' approach.
Smoking became part of a storyline on more than one occasion on BBUS. The one time that stands out for me was in BB8 when it was apparent Jen would be evicted and she took our revenge on Dick (who’d been tormenting the majority of the cast) by destroying his rather large stash of cigarettes.

Smoking became part of a storyline on more than one occasion on BBUS. The one time that stands out for me was in BB8 when it was apparent Jen would be evicted and she took our revenge on Dick (who’d been tormenting the majority of the cast) by destroying his rather large stash of cigarettes.

This is probably one of my favourite scenes from BBUS.

Does any big brother around the world allow smoking?
The French version they could smoke, but one at the time behind a saloon kind of door, you knew what they were doing but you couldn't see them.
I am watching the BB UK at the moment, what a difference, I love it. I watched BB 2018 and BB Celbrity.
BB AU took the phrase "Who win you decide" from BB UK, I wish they would have copied their style too

BBUK was great at its peak on C4. I really liked the silly daily games/comps they had. Some people thought it was too much, I guess they will be having heart attacks at BBAU's latest incarnation. I thought it was bizarre they were allowed to smoke actually inside the house, bedroom, wherever though. As a non-smoker I would have trouble dealing with that.

BBUK was great at its peak on C4. I really liked the silly daily games/comps they had. Some people thought it was too much, I guess they will be having heart attacks at BBAU's latest incarnation. I thought it was bizarre they were allowed to smoke actually inside the house, bedroom, wherever though. As a non-smoker I would have trouble dealing with that.

I enjoy the silly games to a degree. If they allow us to see personality traits of housemates and show us how they react to certain situations and how they work as a team or individual then I am all for it. Nikki Grahame’s tantrums are a fantastic example of this. I love seeing how people react to certain situations differently and who takes the leadership position. Smoking is another interesting one. I may be making this up in my head but I remember one fo the earlier Us seasons had one houseguest bargain smokes in exchange for a favour or an agreement. It’s almost like adding in a currency into the house that isn’t created my production. Watching them bargain with each other. I also have a memory of someone stealing / ruining someone’s packet of smokes and they came out of the diary room with a replacement packet. It does add an extra interesting developing minor plot manipulator.

AU CBB? I don't remember any controversy about it, but yeah there was a false wall in the backyard where Kyle Sandilands would go to smoke. When production told him he wouldn't be able to smoke in the house, he said he wouldn't do the show. Production caved because they really wanted him.

AU CBB? I don't remember any controversy about it, but yeah there was a false wall in the backyard where Kyle Sandilands would go to smoke. When production told him he wouldn't be able to smoke in the house, he said he wouldn't do the show. Production caved because they really wanted him.
Remember his Entrance in CBBAU2002? Wheeled out with a Hannibal Lecter mask on. Seen as below in LQ:

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 7.59.17 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-12 at 7.56.04 pm.png

If they're still freely available on a certain popular video sharing website Celebrity Big Brother Australia could be worth a forum rewatch once this series is over as I suspect it's the series even the biggest fans remember least about (and it's short).

(EDIT: Just checked and they are viewable in the UK at least. Some episodes just 22 minutes long - that feels like a luxury nowadays. Having watched a couple of daily shows from later in the Ten era felt they crammed much more into them than Seven do in 90 minute shows).

Last edited:
Back