Skip to main content

Shark Tank 2017

Episode 8

Bee in it...

Yet *another* food product. At least these guys had the formal training behind themselves and weren't just another bored housewife in her kitchen. Smoothest pitch I've ever heard all season and she certainly had an answer for every question. I think she got a little worried when they quizzed her doctor partner directly. I don't think she had fully coached him on what to say and what not to say exactly and wasn't sure what he was going to come out with. But he came through and I could almost see her breathe a sigh of relief. They got their deal and all was good... no surprises really here.

That was a VERY yellow dress. I wonder if she's taking a page out of Naomi's book and is using the colour yellow as a brand identifier for herself? If so... its been done before darling, and the person who did it is sitting right in front of you.

Here, hold my Beer.

Yep Sticky... just another App that doesn't actually do anything that can't be done somewhere else just as easily. I actually googled "beer price specials Dianella" (where I live in Perth) while I was watching the segment and came up with all sorts of ads and promos without any problem. What do I need their App for? As Steve said, its another answer in search of a question that nobodies asking.

Belinda the Bouncy Business Girl

Wow! Quite the little achiever isn't she? I wasn't too impressed with her Pastor father though. Seeing him made me think of every creepy weird religious family (Surprise!! They're in Queensland! Who'd have guessed?...!) that's ever been stereotyped in TV and movies, and they even travel with all 11 of the kids packed into a bus all while being homeschooled! I'm surprised they all didn't just end up being some strange cult drinking the funny tasting cool-aid (at least they'd only do it once...)

Anyway, she's been go-getting them since age 5 and she obviously impressed the hell out of the Sharks even if her product didn't. Janine is clearly investing in HER and not her somewhat strange skin products. Those aren't going to work. The Sharks know it but she hasn't realised yet. What I think Janine will do is encourage her along, 'mentor' her and then when it all tanks, be there to pat her on the shoulder, give her a hug and a tissue and say "Why not come work for me for a year or so and get some more 'experience'..?" and then start to set her up as one of her own executive managers. As Andrew said, it was worth $40 000 just to hire her! Bugger the skin creams...

Nevermind the leather, lets go ride a bike!

They were right... what's his product? Bike tours or leather goods? This guy is just sort of following wherever his nose has led him and he seems to be doing ok but clearly doesn't have the actual business knowledge to know what to do next. Steve offering to take 60% of the company was just rude IMO as it basically took the entire company off the guy and just made him "employee of the month".

Steve for now seems to have the best of intentions for the company and wants to make 'millions' for both of them, but I think the moment they have a disagreement Steve will use his control (even though he only has 49%) of the board and give the poor guy the boot from his own company. I hope he doesn't, but when it comes to big money Steve won't lose out over something like that. Meanwhile I reckon you'll see Steve getting a free classic bike tour of India out of it in the next few months.

...yet another great recap SeanE as per usual... do you know what?... every time that someone comes onto the show and it has to do with a food product or shin care some sort of reflex action just shuts me off to whatever spiel that they are trying to sell...if I've taped it to watch later I just fast forward it to the next person... unfortunately it seems that every 4th of 5th person that comes onto the show is trying to pitch either... it's a waste of airtime as far as I'm concerned...

...my favourites are people that invent something practical and it works and just want some sort of help to market and sell it... you know... the kind of guy that invents a lawnmower with an edger built into it so that you can edge the garden while mowing it at the same time for instance?... hey... now I think of it... that's not a bad idea is it?... lol!... you just pull up to the edge that you want to do and release a lever that lowers the edger to trim it... ha!... perhaps I should construct one and go onto the show eh?... lol!...

...and that Belinda the 'bouncy business girl'... she'd get on my nerves really quickly if she worked for me... granted that she's clued up and all but that 'bounciness' would drive me insane lol!... and Steve... where the hell is his head at?... wanting 60% of the business?... I would have run over his head with my motorbike about 5 times out of anger if he said that to me... Steve is one Shark that I would never pick regardless... he'd be a bastard to work for or be a partner with I imagine... but anyway... thanks for another great recap SeanE... cheers.

Episode 9

Franki(ly) they didn't have a clue...

The Korean twin girls basically have nothing but an online shop. You know how easy it is to set one of those up? I could do it in about 10 minutes and have it fully 'stocked' within 20 minutes. They don't even have to have samples or product on hand because all it is, is essentially a re-ordering service for which you as the 'proprietor' charge a premium fee as your cut.

They were too new, and too low-ball for any of the sharks. They need to come back in a year or even two when they have a market place and some decent sales behind them ($1500 in 2 months? - that's not even rent!)

Just Jerking around:

I don't truly understand the appeal of Beef Jerky. Dried meat is yummy but its not like I'm going to rush out and buy half a kilo for a snack. The local Galleria Shopping Centre here in Morley has a beef jerky booth and I have no idea why or how it stays in business, but a year later its still there. (Mind you they turn over staff faster than you can say boo. Everytime I walk past there's a new young girl there looking completely bored and playing on their phone because there's nothing else to do...)

Another low ball investment bid as well. $75 000 is peanuts for these guys and again, what are they going to be able to achieve with so little? But the sharks all seemed interested for some reason.. go figure..! (As Janine said - Natural product..?) But they got their deal with Glen which is great. 33% is equal partnership at least. Maybe Glen could branch them into pet food jerky as well? Even though that's been done for a million years...

Hello Dolly:

Its an idea that's clearly working for her to the tune of $50 000 profit per year, but what a lame looking 'doll'. Its just a bland sausage lump with a photo on it... ! And somehow she has a patent on it? At least she's business smart in that sense because anybody with a sewing machine and a colour printer can knock up what she's doing. But hey, she got her deal with Andrew but I think she's gong to spend 90% of her time defending that patent as every other mum in the country just makes their own at home for cost of materials.

Speedf(bullsh)it:

Oh Gawd... yet another fitness product 'business'. Groovy wetsuits, but what are you doing? Striking fitness poses while the suit zaps you. Do you have to share the wetsuit with other clients? That could get kinda gross pretty quickly. Ok so supposedly its popular in Europe - for now. But this strikes me as just another fitness fad that'll come and go pretty quickly when the next sweaty thing comes along. Then where's your investment? They think its worth $2 million(s) per year. Yeah, maybe for *now*... but fads come and go. (Who's got an exercise bike at home that's currently a spare handbag holder and the washing that you need to get dried? C'mon - hands up...)

Steve was right. If its worth that much why haven't the banks jumped all over it? But he still made an offer at 40% which kinda surprised me. I think Glen is right and he agrees with me that its more a fad than anything else. Janine's in at 33% as well but I can't imagine why. Steve's down to 31.1% which was again surprising because he rarely does this. I think Steve sees it as a quick get-in-and-get-out thing, while Janine was looking more long term.

They turned both of them down too! That was a surprise again... who knows what or where these guys will end up...

cheers
Sean

Episode 9

Franki(ly) they didn't have a clue...

The Korean twin girls basically have nothing but an online shop. You know how easy it is to set one of those up? I could do it in about 10 minutes and have it fully 'stocked' within 20 minutes. They don't even have to have samples or product on hand because all it is, is essentially a re-ordering service for which you as the 'proprietor' charge a premium fee as your cut.

They were too new, and too low-ball for any of the sharks. They need to come back in a year or even two when they have a market place and some decent sales behind them ($1500 in 2 months? - that's not even rent!)

Just Jerking around:

I don't truly understand the appeal of Beef Jerky. Dried meat is yummy but its not like I'm going to rush out and buy half a kilo for a snack. The local Galleria Shopping Centre here in Morley has a beef jerky booth and I have no idea why or how it stays in business, but a year later its still there. (Mind you they turn over staff faster than you can say boo. Everytime I walk past there's a new young girl there looking completely bored and playing on their phone because there's nothing else to do...)

Another low ball investment bid as well. $75 000 is peanuts for these guys and again, what are they going to be able to achieve with so little? But the sharks all seemed interested for some reason.. go figure..! (As Janine said - Natural product..?) But they got their deal with Glen which is great. 33% is equal partnership at least. Maybe Glen could branch them into pet food jerky as well? Even though that's been done for a million years...

Hello Dolly:

Its an idea that's clearly working for her to the tune of $50 000 profit per year, but what a lame looking 'doll'. Its just a bland sausage lump with a photo on it... ! And somehow she has a patent on it? At least she's business smart in that sense because anybody with a sewing machine and a colour printer can knock up what she's doing. But hey, she got her deal with Andrew but I think she's gong to spend 90% of her time defending that patent as every other mum in the country just makes their own at home for cost of materials.

Speedf(bullsh)it:

Oh Gawd... yet another fitness product 'business'. Groovy wetsuits, but what are you doing? Striking fitness poses while the suit zaps you. Do you have to share the wetsuit with other clients? That could get kinda gross pretty quickly. Ok so supposedly its popular in Europe - for now. But this strikes me as just another fitness fad that'll come and go pretty quickly when the next sweaty thing comes along. Then where's your investment? They think its worth $2 million(s) per year. Yeah, maybe for *now*... but fads come and go. (Who's got an exercise bike at home that's currently a spare handbag holder and the washing that you need to get dried? C'mon - hands up...)

Steve was right. If its worth that much why haven't the banks jumped all over it? But he still made an offer at 40% which kinda surprised me. I think Glen is right and he agrees with me that its more a fad than anything else. Janine's in at 33% as well but I can't imagine why. Steve's down to 31.1% which was again surprising because he rarely does this. I think Steve sees it as a quick get-in-and-get-out thing, while Janine was looking more long term.

They turned both of them down too! That was a surprise again... who knows what or where these guys will end up...

cheers
Sean

...great review SeanE... pretty much spot-on too my friend as always... seriously though... as with my gripe from last week I think that this show should stop putting on 'Food/Health and Fitness and Beauty Products' people wanting to get their mitts on the Sharks money... I'm so over that crud... what about people that are inventing REAL things... mind blowing stuff that will be used to make Mankind's life even more easier?... to quote myself from last week...

...my favourites are people that invent something practical and it works and just want some sort of help to market and sell it... you know... the kind of guy that invents a lawnmower with an edger built into it so that you can edge the garden while mowing it at the same time for instance?... hey... now I think of it... that's not a bad idea is it?... lol!... you just pull up to the edge that you want to do and release a lever that lowers the edger to trim it... ha!... perhaps I should construct one and go onto the show eh?... lol!...

...when anything to do with 'Food/Health and Fitness and Beauty Products' comes on I just groan now... they are spoiling the show and are just slowing the show down as far as I'm concerned... and really... how many more quick rich Apps can there be to invent now?... INVENT REAL THINGS PLEASE YOU NUFF NUFFS!!!!!... you're killing such a brilliant show week by week for crying out loud!... sheesh!... cheers.

Episode 10

Buff boys are feeling peaky:

Yet another gym-junkie product... Gawd you can just see that these guys love to show off their awesome bods. I'm reminded of Eric Bana back in his Comedy Company days when he played a gym-junkie that was all about looking "bloody huuuuuge".

They completely screwed things up with the packaging didn't they? Law Student!? Clearly he failed his Packaging Regulatory units. Probably too busy pumping down at the gym... Plus Janine was right. They're using their gym equity to support this chocolate side business which is unsustainable. Eventually one will eat the other financially.

Cart - blanche:

Nice cart. Folds up easily enough even if it does look a little flimsy overall. But then most fold up stuff does. I can't see myself buying one personally because I can't think of anywhere I'd need it. But Glen was right. If I bought one I'd keep and use it forever until it broke, and then probably wouldn't necessarily buy another one. They've made $113 000 profit in one year though which is pretty good and NZ Bunnings is stocking it. Bloody expensive though aren't they? $189.00 each!!! Damm right I'm only buying one of them, and looking very after it very carefully after that! But their profit markup is only 25%... It needs to be at least 75% and preferably 100%+...

Cool they have a deal. At 40% though. I might have pushed back at 25% and then tried to settle somewhere around 30-35%... It'd be worth a shot at any rate.

Ho-Hummingbird:

Think about just what he's selling here. A tube of protein balls. That's it....! (which are dead easy to make yourself btw... my wife does a week's worth in about 30 minutes) You still need fruit, milk, a blender... Leave out the protein balls and you can do everything he demonstrated anyway. Do you really need the protein balls in the first place? Add some more fruit etc and you've still got a perfectly good smoothie.

Janine has a conflict of interest with him. She's basically his competition and she *may* have been supportive and bought in (if only to be able to absorb his idea at Boost Juice) but he absolutely blew it with her when he said "maybe they can't afford your product". See her face just shut down the smile at that one!

Most of them liked him , but not his idea or his business structure with investors and shareholders already diluting the business return. These hidden others blew it for him against Naomi's offer, which just proved the sharks observation and initial opinion of the business structure.

That's about the Scope of IT:

Yep, IT sucks in schools. Old equipment that the kids do their best to trash as fast as possible, networks that struggle to handle the load, and a curriculum that has very little wiggle room for anything extra to come in. I'm kind of wondering HOW schools are able to incorporate this program. At least they had the price reasonably set. $50.00 per term per kid makes it affordable for parents. Clearly at least one of the two (probably the woman) is a teacher and knows that schools have bugger-all money.

Its a franchise model, so what does the franchisee have to cough up for? I'm betting its a class set of MacBook Air laptops (I looked up their website..) and any external stuff (there's a 3D printer component to the course) plus responsibility for all the maintenance. That's not cheap. Plus you'd have to be able to lug it all around from school to school so you're going to need a decent (and secure) van or truck.

But they got their funding which is great. The woman was happy! But frankly I think they went with the wrong shark. Glen would have been better for expanding the franchise model than Steve, but Steve is better at the technical side of things.

...I dunno... gym junkies and that guys protein balls... **sigh**... please put a ban on these 'fad people' please Sharks... so... that other couple more or less stole the idea of that cart from someone from overseas eh?...but at least they did INVENT something!... whether it was a stolen idea or not at least it was something that was INVENTED regardless... please put more of these people on Sharks... a great recap as per usual SeanE... they're sometimes more entertaining than the show itself at times lol!... by the way SeanE... 'Cart-blanche' and 'Ho-Hummingbird'... very funny... cheers.

Episode 11:

A reason to season:

More seasoning stuff. Haven't we had at least 3 of these already this series? This guy had a slightly different twist on his products at least by avoiding the salt and garlic bases. Its meant to be 'paleo' (urghh...) but it wasn't. He has a great personality and enthusiasm too which seemed to impress the Sharks. But it costs $3.00 to make and sells for $20.00 (ack!...! That's a bloody expensive spicy meatball!) and he's only cleared $90 000??? Sure he's ploughed money back into the business, and spent $200 000 on 'marketing' but he mentioned some fitness-gym girl that he's hooked up with that's his 'social media' manager... and she's taking what's supposedly a 'reasonable cut'...? I think she's taking him for a ride myself and ripping him off.

Naomi's offer was pretty harsh...50%!? His counter offer was really naive and it was nice of Naomi to ignore it. Steve was great in backing him up when he saw Ace was out of his depth in the negotiating. But he still gave away 40%... He tried really hard though between all his nerves and deserved to be supported by one of them. I bet Naomi gets rid of the social manager fitness girl PDQ...

Eye eye eye yi yi... :

Eyelash extensions?! How the hell is that even remotely a dedicated business..?

He's got big ideas, but bloody hell he was going to rip off his USA 'franchisees'. $25 000 clear and $54 000 net? He hadn't even remotely factored in how he was actually going to pay his workers, beyond employing illegal workers for peanuts. With the Orange Mussolini in office he could see his workforce disappearing on a daily basis.

So what if he has a former Spice Girl as a 'partner'? I bet she put a small amount of seed money in and he probably gave her free lashes for life... and now she's got what she really wanted, she doesn't give a shit what happens to him. I've met quite a few 'celebs' through channel 9 over time and pretty much their common feature IMO is that they're selfish pricks.

The Squid-thing

Well it certainly worked when Steve did it, so there's that. Otherwise Steve summed it up pretty well. Its a 'thing' not a business in itself and yeah, only serious squid fishermen will care about it. But I bet Steve helps them get it into BCF in the near future, so that's something at least.

In the dog house:

Awww...how cute are those dogs? But gawd... how cute are those dogs? Personally I don't like these floofy girly dogs. Give me a Staffy or Blue Heeler any day.

Pretty brave of them to come on the show with a product that Glenn is going to have a major interest and critique in - both as a vet and as a Pet-Barn millionaire. He went after them with laser precision. I figured he'd give them an offer though but 50% was a big chunk. He surely doesn't need Janine either with his business. They predicted the counter offer split pretty precisely though didn't they? :+)

...I'd have to say that Steve is probably my favourite shark because I like people that just tell it as it is and boy!... doesn't he do that?... lol!... you tell them Steve!... out of curiosity... who is your favourite Shark SeanE?...

...to quote this from you SeanE...

but he mentioned some fitness-gym girl that he's hooked up with that's his 'social media' manager... and she's taking what's supposedly a 'reasonable cut'...? I think she's taking him for a ride myself and ripping him off.

...I so agree with you when you also said this too...

I bet Naomi gets rid of the social manager fitness girl PDQ...

...ooooh yeah!... lol!... I thought the same thing as soon as Naomi clinched that deal lol!... and so she should too... (although I so groaned when I saw at the beginning that it was yet another food based Seasoning item)... I did a massive eye-roll...

...that eyelash guy that thought that he was some sort of guru or tycoon had 'shonk' written all over him before he even spoke in my eyes lol!... what a total twonk!... as if ANY of them would be sucked into doing business with him?... and when you said "and now she's got what she really wanted"... is that a reference to the Spice Girl lyrics from the 'Wannabe' song "Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want"?... lol!... just curious...

...anyhow... I digress... I could never get along with a shonky 'wheeler dealer' type of person like that con artist... I'd be strangling him after about 10 minutes flat!... lol!...

...the Squid gadget... an invention!... woohoo!... I actually thought that gadget was bloody brilliant!... I was fishing out in the ocean just off Caves Beach in NSW and could've used that gizmo if I had caught a Squid... what a clever invention... and yes... I reckon that Steve will get them into BFC stores too as you said... Steve might be a hard old cookie but he would do something kind like that regardless methinks!...

...that dog thing at the end was a complete bore-fest for me... I wasn't even sure what that segment was about to be truthful... I mentally switched off watching it and did some Photoshopping and just heard it in the background to be honest so I can't comment on it at all... the highlight for me tonight were the two old Squid guys... a great little invention and I hope that Steve does introduce their product into the BFC stores soon... at least it was AN INVENTION!... lol!... cheers.

...by the way SeanE... as well as your great reviews I'm loving the little play on words that you do just before you give your opinion on a segment... those little captions are a great play on wit... I'm only half as good as you at doing them so does that make me a halfwit?... (why did I bother with that poor attempt at humour?... WHY?)...

...yes so please keep them coming too my friend... I always like little snippets of humour that are out of the ordinary and you do them do so well... cheers.

...haha!... I can't wait for tonight's review SeanE... a couple of corkers there eh?... cheers.

Episode 12:

Taking the Mickie:

Custom cookies that are personalised really had the sharks digging into the details of the business. You could see that they're all interested but Naomi and Steve were really gnawing at the edges weren't they? I think they could see that she had a pretty decent business knowledge and were pushing her limits to see where she'd fall over. She hadn't considered what would happen if she didn't get the funding.

Offers were lower than she wanted but that was to be expected. She was clever to ask them to split between Andrew and Janine. It cost her an extra 1% but she got more experience and depth of expertise as a result.

Ad break... bloody hell channel 10 are really stacking these on tonight aren't they? Almost 10 minutes and still going... Get on with the freakin' show!!!!!!!!

Buck(le) you:

Fantastic idea and it had the sharks onboard even if it is just another bloody App, and then he absolutely blew it by saying that he was only offering investment in the manufacturing company of the product and not in the IP/patent of the product. They were dead right in that they'd take all the risk and he can sit pretty skimming 5% off the top no matter what happened elsewhere, and he tried to hide that from them... dodgy as huh? You could just see their faces shut down once they realised that.

More freaking ads... Channel 10's obviously short a coin tonight aren't they?

Wow! High tension when Steve made an offer to buy the company, but only $1.5 million. It means a 500K loss for him. Janine was right in that he jumped at the idea VERY quickly without much thought or consideration. That confirmed in the sharks minds how dodgy this guy might actually be in the long term. He wants that 5% forever bit and to hell with the rest. Let someone else take that risk. Personally I think he should have taken it because after this show I think he's going to find it hard to get further investors, even for such a great idea as this.

Finding your direction:

Another 'unique tours' travel agency again... we've already had one of these this series (remember the bikie guy travelling India?) but this time Africa. Basically she just wants $70k to build up her website and some PR... so not much output for the investment. It just makes the website prettier really. I looked it up - its a very nice website, takes an age to load though --> http://crooked-compass.com. BTW - not all of it worked. I couldn't see 'all tours' when I clicked any of the links on the site that were meant to take me there. It gave me a database connection error. Either that's because it's crashing because everyone's looking it up tonight after the show, or someone's screwed up. Either way, NOT a good thing to happen on your big night on TV...

Same as the bikie guy its difficult to scale up and she doesn't want to anyway as it is now. She'd have to branch out of the boutique side of travelling into more mainstream to do that and she doesn't want to do that. The other problem is that with travel-off-beaten-track tours like this is that the people you go to see are changed by their contact with these tours and so their cultural uniqueness is lost over time. Eventually your business naturally evaporates.

What's in a word?:

Customisable language posters that self record? She's obviously a teacher or has been a teacher and is thinking of them as an educational tool, but the sharks just saw their own 'instant record' poster demo' and thought; "Advertising! Yeah!!!"... But she hasn't thought of that and didn't have a business model to cover it for them to consider. That killed 4 of the sharks... :+/ Good for Naomi to just take the idea and support it anyway. Not every idea is going to turn into millions but sometimes you just have to support something because it deserves to be out there and available.

Final Episode:

Bloody hell, I almost missed it! I have long service leave until the end of the year (yay...) and after only 1 week I'm already forgetting what day it is.. :p Didn't help that they moved the timeslot either... or actually it did, because I was channel surfing after watching Big Bang on channel 9 and came across it by accident.

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts:

More health food, but at least this time with an actual purpose to combat Autism and not just jumping on some sort of fad. Kinda weird foods but that's because its stuff we don't normally eat here in Australia. He had them once he got them to have a taste and then totally, completely, utterly lost them when he didn't have the business numbers that the sharks needed. Crashed, burned, pilot failed to eject... At least he admitted and was honest that he doesn't quite understand the business numbers and the like, if so then, how the hell do you expect to be in business?

BUT! Glen to the rescue!!! As Steve predicted it was a completely shitty offer of 51%. But what would you expect? Here's a guy that admits he doesn't understand business numbers or figures so Glen is going to make sure that he has the final say in what the business does financially by having the controlling interest. Good on him for negotiating down to 45% at least and making the deal.

No Future:

Another bloody App!!... He came in and from the moment he opened his mouth I just thought "shonky, dodgy as hell..." Mobile career counselling for students. Naomi straight up comes out with U13 and here in WA we have the 'myfuture' website that all the kids use for careers counselling and subject selections etc.

But as Steve said, he hasn't actually *got* a product yet. He hasn't developed a working model so basically he's selling hot air right now. He hasn't even got a tech developer on side yet and Steve gave him more advice in that hot minute than what he's probably gotten since he started this whole thing.

Lots and lots and lots of ads again....

Meals on Wheels 2 U:

So, its basically meals on wheels for lazy people... (ok, busy people too, but mostly it'll be lazy people IMO...) A couple of former restauranteurs (Restaurant? Maybe it was more of a corner 'cafe'...?) want to sell food without the annoying overhead of having to have an actual restaurant and all the hassles that come with operating one of those.

Once again, they didn't really have the business numbers at the ready. Strange for people that have supposedly run a restaurant. They don't own the name of the business???...!!!! How the hell can they operate for 3 years and not have done that? They ran a restaurant!!!! Surely they should know that..? Naomi was right. Anyone could run out straight after this show, register the name and then sit back, let them operate for a while and then sue the pants off them for 'lost profits'.

Somehow I get the feeling, and I've had it with a couple of the prospective businesses this season, that they've come on the show mainly for the free advertising and promotion and not for the actual deal. I kind of got that feeling with these guys. Still they got an offer from Steve and Janine, but my head hurt trying to work out how it works. My wife understood it though, which is probably why she's the financial brains in my family. Of course they had to go outside and 'discuss it with their business partner'. There seems to be a lot of these silent, hidden partners this season. They tried a counter offer but caved in, so... good on 'em then.

Lets hope they go out and register that trade name tomorrow...

Ghost Surfboards ride again!:

Ecto is a good name. A surfer dude that's noticed that dead surfboards don't get recycled. I grew up in Wembley Downs/Scarborough here in Perth and I can tell you, once a board is broken it sits down the back of the shed for a few years and then gets stomped on and chucked into the council pickup.

These hand planes aren't anything new, but his shape, materials and graphic designs are. But Steve was right, anybody can come along and change the shape a little bit and then he's got nothing. Once again his business numbers are dodgy and unsure which seems to be a theme for tonight, and he has that lack of scale sense that many garage-businesses have and that we've seen earlier this season. The guy has to have his day job as well to stay alive but the Sharks are asking him to commit 100% of his time on this. Can he afford that? Easy for them to say with their multi millions.

As an artist I can see its the graphic design side that really hits his sweet spot. Its how to promote and market the product that he has trouble with. As a GD he's used to supporting and bringing life to other people's ideas. Naomi's offer of 50% I think was actually pretty good in this case. It'll kick him out of his garage and into the real business world of selling that 40 000 units by next year instead of his estimate of 400...

Season Review:

We had the usual clueless, shonky, or desperate applicants and while most were smart enough to take the shark offers that were proffered, some were just greedy and blew their chance. The biggest crit I would have is for channel 10 is that there were too many Apps (mostly offering nothing of real substance), and too many food fads. Overall there was a real absence of truly new ideas. But for me, at least I got a huge bunch of new things to talk about during my year 7 entrepreneur studies in class, and I can already download some of these episodes from youtube! :+P

Last edited:
...hahaha!... I was dying to read what you were going to say about the shonky-arsed App guy that was the second one to come out lol!... he was yet another guy that tried to peddle bullshit figures to the Sharks... I was so glad to see them shred him...

..."So, its basically meals on wheels for lazy people..."... yup!... that sums their business perfectly for me lol!... and... "Somehow I get the feeling, and I've had it with a couple of the prospective businesses this season, that they've come on the show mainly for the free advertising and promotion and not for the actual deal."... I'm so happy that you've said that SeanE... I actually thought the same thing... ANY advertising is good advertising as they say though... you nailed it!...

...Surfboard guy... I really liked him and he seemed like a guy with a great idea and he was willing to work hard to make his idea work with some help... these are the types of people that I like on this show... I hope that his idea makes him rich...

...I totally agree with basically your complete Season Review SeanE... I sort of feel that last seasons Shark Tank was actually better than this one... perhaps that is because it seemed like less App and food people maybe?... maybe it's just me?... lol!...

...I just want to say one more thing SeanE... thanks for starting this thread up this year... I've absolutely enjoyed your reviews... they are usually 100% spot on too and funny... especially with the witty subtitles that you have put up... well done my friend and hopefully you'll keep up the great reviews next season... cheers.

Back