Skip to main content

Selecting the Right Diamond Ring

3 year anniversary doesn't necessarily mean 3rd wedding anniversary. I must admit I thought the OP was referring to their 3rd anniversary of going out.

Well, yeah, you did. :p

Oh I get ya. Jeez you can be so damn obtuse sometimes (all the time), I thought you were lampooning me for having the audacity to wish him good luck when he clearly doesn't need it. Well personally I interpreted this thread as the OP seeking advice on an engagement ring. He did not say this, but to be fair it was a bit light on details with this vague "her". To be honest diamond ring automatically equates to proposal in my mind so it was less about skimming and more about making assumptions, some of which were the result of projection based on my own circumstances.

I sincerely apologise to the OP if I have misinterpreted your post, most of my response is irrelevant beyond the actual answer to your question but at least the thought was there right? I am also sorry that you couldn't seek advice without Mr Banter coming along to ruin things, but I take zero responsibility for that.

It took my wife Raisa and I 14 years to actually get married....

We met at Uni in 1995 and after being together for a year we went out to the Garden Restaurant at the Parmelia Hotel here in Perth, had a nice meal and then I took her up to the Kings Park war memorial lookout for "The Question!!" (pop...) with the city lit up beneath us. A whole bunch of people watching on a nice warm November 4th night and I got a yes.... everyone cheered and clapped.

So we went out to buy a ring at Ian J Brown's which cost about $2500. We went to Bali for a week about 8 weeks later and I picked up a simple 18ct gold band for $130.00 at some store in Kuta.

Fast forward 14 years - 2008. We're still not officially married but have the house together, built a life etc. We were planning on taking a holiday to Italy for 2 weeks and thought "Hmmm...we better sort out our wills before we go.." so off we went to a Lawyer on a wet and rainy crappy July afternoon when we were both tired from work. Wills sorted, as we walked back to the car parked in the street in Hay Street I said "You know, we could actually get married before we go..." and got in the car.

Yep, Romance... I haz it...

6 weeks later we got married in front of my immediate family of about 12 people (Raisa is from Ukraine so her lot are still there) and Raisa's daughter Natasha and her then boyfriend. We did the ceremony in the grounds of Edith Cowan University: Joondalup near the fountain lake because ECU doesn't charge a fee for weddings unlike UWA and Curtin et al. We then just had a nice meal back at home for the reception with family. Total cost for the wedding was $2500. (for instance Raisa made her own bouquet by sourcing red roses from the wholesaler for $1.00 each rather than $10.00 each at a florist) Largest expenses were the celebrant and the wedding cake. 2 weeks later we took off for Italy which became our 'honeymoon'...

me_by_seane.jpg

It took my wife Raisa and I 14 years to actually get married....

We met at Uni in 1995 and after being together for a year we went out to the Garden Restaurant at the Parmelia Hotel here in Perth, had a nice meal and then I took her up to the Kings Park war memorial lookout for "The Question!!" (pop...) with the city lit up beneath us. A whole bunch of people watching on a nice warm November 4th night and I got a yes.... everyone cheered and clapped.

So we went out to buy a ring at Ian J Brown's which cost about $2500. We went to Bali for a week about 8 weeks later and I picked up a simple 18ct gold band for $130.00 at some store in Kuta.

Fast forward 14 years - 2008. We're still not officially married but have the house together, built a life etc. We were planning on taking a holiday to Italy for 2 weeks and thought "Hmmm...we better sort out our wills before we go.." so off we went to a Lawyer on a wet and rainy crappy July afternoon when we were both tired from work. Wills sorted, as we walked back to the car parked in the street in Hay Street I said "You know, we could actually get married before we go..." and got in the car.

Yep, Romance... I haz it...

6 weeks later we got married in front of my immediate family of about 12 people (Raisa is from Ukraine so her lot are still there) and Raisa's daughter Natasha and her then boyfriend. We did the ceremony in the grounds of Edith Cowan University: Joondalup near the fountain lake because ECU doesn't charge a fee for weddings unlike UWA and Curtin et al. We then just had a nice meal back at home for the reception with family. Total cost for the wedding was $2500. (for instance Raisa made her own bouquet by sourcing red roses from the wholesaler for $1.00 each rather than $10.00 each at a florist) Largest expenses were the celebrant and the wedding cake. 2 weeks later we took off for Italy which became our 'honeymoon'...

me_by_seane.jpg

Yay. True love. Congratulations.

Woah. Thanks a lot guys. I never thought I would get so many opinions. You guys are awesome. I did buy the ring and I'm eagerly waiting for the day to arrive. It's our third anniversary of being together actually :) Will share how it goes. *Fingers crossed*.

Woah. Thanks a lot guys. I never thought I would get so many opinions. You guys are awesome. I did buy the ring and I'm eagerly waiting for the day to arrive. It's our third anniversary of being together actually :) Will share how it goes. *Fingers crossed*.

It is a very beautiful, classic ring, that I'm sure your partner will love to wear when she becomes your fiancé *fingers crossed here for you* :)

Good luck!

Back