Skip to main content

Reality tv in Australia

Rose711

Australian Survivor- Best Survivor Ever
Awesome site donor
Are most Australian reality TV shows ones either the public or the judges decide a winner? Or maybe one player like the Bachelor?

Is Survivor the first major show there where the players decide the winner?

I'm wondering if this is part of the reason the US audience might read things differently than the Australian audience? Australians might be more used to the edit favoriting people so they get votes from the public like on Big Brother.

I do wonder how things might have panned out differently in the US had CBS got Big Brother to air first. It certainly killed off Survivor in the UK as it didn't have the live and interactive elements Big Brother had achieved so much success with, so ultimately got replaced by the much more successful I'm a Celebrity which aired live and gave viewers control.

I do wonder how things might have panned out differently in the US had CBS got Big Brother to air first. It certainly killed off Survivor in the UK as it didn't have the live and interactive elements Big Brother had achieved so much success with, so ultimately got replaced by the much more successful I'm a Celebrity which aired live and gave viewers control.
This is a great point. I think the first season of big brother in the US gave viewers control, but people trolled the show or got rid of the best people, or something like that happened. Big brother took away audience control after that until this new online season that is starting. US voters may not be reliable. This new season should help establish that.

I'm not that big a fan of the jury vote, at least in Survivor they have them sit at tribals so they actually see more of what happens. But in the case of losers deciding the winner you can sometimes have people going under the radar and then winning at the end.

They are in recent times moving towards more of a public vote on the US style BB, getting a mix of contestants eliminating each other but the public having a say. A mix is a good idea as it does make it more complicated. I want the contestants to have some say in who goes but obviously not total control (the public having a veto for instance) and I definitely don't want those who lost the game being in sole control of who wins.

I think how a show is promoted and which kind of audience a show is aimed at can affect the kind of voting you get. You can potentially get good gameplayers winning a public vote, I think it would have happened in Survivor some seasons.

They have that public vote for most popular Survivor now too remember. Was it the Rupert series they introduced that?
They get $100,000.
As far as my viewing goes, the crowd favourite has never been the actual game winner

Are most Australian reality TV shows ones either the public or the judges decide a winner? Or maybe one player like the Bachelor?

Is Survivor the first major show there where the players decide the winner?

I'm wondering if this is part of the reason the US audience might read things differently than the Australian audience? Australians might be more used to the edit favoriting people so they get votes from the public like on Big Brother.

The answer is sort of no, winners of a lot of reality here are not decided by viewers, but not by fellow players.
Master Chef is our biggest RTV franchise, it sells worldwide, decided by judges - but arguably the players influence who will win along the way too, that is kind of true across all RTV.
My Kitchen Rules, House Rules = judges, isn't it?
Block, judges and buyers, likeability matters not at all.
Biggest loser = fat content.
Bachelor = contestant, so most like survivor

It is only the shitty talent shows that let the public vote now.

The answer is sort of no, winners of a lot of reality here are not decided by viewers, but not by fellow players.
Master Chef is our biggest RTV franchise, it sells worldwide, decided by judges - but arguably the players influence who will win along the way too, that is kind of true across all RTV.
My Kitchen Rules, House Rules = judges, isn't it?
Block, judges and buyers, likeability matters not at all.
Biggest loser = fat content.
Bachelor = contestant, so most like survivor

It is only the shitty talent shows that let the public vote now.
Thanks. Big Brother is the only other Australian show I'm familiar with. You're right that even in the US the public vote for talent shows but not shows like Masterchef or HellsKitchen.

There was a great version of The Amazing Race (obviously no public vote, the competitors decide the winner) but it was cut despite winning awards. Another US show The Mole was also in Australia, they brought it back but not with the best cast and tons of episodes (like this Survivor in a way) and ended up cutting that as well.

Back