Skip to main content

Puberty Blues

ichi

Channel 10's new drama series - discuss

This is easily my favourite show if the year so far. Love the characters, love the 2 young girls, love the sets, love the slang, love the little brother - it's all just too good.

since I too was 14 years old in 1981 when this is roughly set, this show is like going home for me....

fashions, attitudes, language, the school looks just like my old school (Churchlands SHS in Perth - before it burnt down in 1991 mind...), the school uniforms, attitudes of surfies vs bogans etc etc...

I too love this. I was concerned before it started as I am also a child of the 70's and love the book and original movie and really didn't want them to stuff this up. Two eps in and its great. The main characters debbie and sue have a real chemistry together.

I would just like to say how freaking glad I am that I did not grow up in the late 70's and that the women who went before me put up with this shit so that I could run my life in the way I want to.

Was the storyline with Freida just meant to be a matephor for what could happened back then or did I miss something?

Plenty of girls still live like this, so sad but true.

And plenty of women growing up in the 70s refused to live like that - basically you never got a boyfriend if you had any respect for yourself; bit lonely but better off than the slags in panel vans being handed around.

Well tbh I did not conduct myself that well for a certain 6 months but anything I did was my choice (albeit not v. good ones) and I was never forced to do anything.

Am loving the show, and think that they are actually doing a really good job of showing how things were for the young girls without being to - um shall we say, tastless.

I was a child of the 80's and it was a bit like that if you were one of hte "popular" kids - of which I never was, so I managed to keep myself nice LOL

I would just like to say how freaking glad I am that I did not grow up in the late 70's and that the women who went before me put up with this shit so that I could run my life in the way I want to.Was the storyline with Freida just meant to be a matephor for what could happened back then or did I miss something?

Ichi, In about 1971 I can remember seeing stories on the news about equal pay for women, I asked my mum what it all meant. At that time mum was the Head Chef at a restaurant. I could not believe it when she told me that her Sous Chef was paid more than her because women only earnt about 75% of a man's wage :mad: Having grown up in a home where my brother and I were more or less treated the same I just could not get my head around it. By about 1972 I think women had equal wages :)

I am really enjoying the show too. Fairly sure the book was set in 78/79, in the book the girls were 13 years old and in the movie they were older 16 ish. Regardless I can relate, I was 16 years old in 1978 and lived by the beach, a lot of the boys we knew were surfies and had panel vans. :D

I haven't watched this weeks episode, will watch tonight.

BIT OF TRIVIA:
Brenna Harding who plays Sue Knight is the daughter of the two lesbian mums who appeared on playschool.

666152-brenna-harding.jpg

Last edited:
Is "going around with" a regional thing? I remember it as "going out with" and so does my mum (NSW, SA).

nah it's 'rack off molls' :)

Good trivia there eliza, obviously those 2 lesbian mums didn't cause the earth to stop and the child to be damaged for life after all!

So let me get this straight, Debbie nearly attained moll status due to the fact she was single and laying within close proximity to another single boy!? Cripes, times were tough!

I love the little brother so much, he is all sorts of awesome

Ichi, I'm not even sure if it was because the boy was there, just laying there on her own was reason enough? Or I could have missed that bit.

I am so enjoying this show - that hour goes to quickly.

Phrasing probably was regional. In Victoria when I was growing up (born 1971, teenager in the 80's) it was just "go with". If it was just a pash and no ties afterwards, it was "get on with". Quite often a get on with would result in a go with LOL!!!!

I just want to watch them all in one sitting, I really love it and I don't even know why!

I love the attention to detail on 'ya' instead of 'you' etc etc. My personal suspicion is that the baby is going to turn out to be Cheryl's not the mothers oooooo shenanigans

I googled Debbie the other day, she is 20 years old!

I agree about the baby. I am loving this show.

Forget the kids...what about the shenanigans the adults are getting up to????

GOLD

I love this show too. Acting is fantastic, like the extra plot lines that weren't in the book. 8 episodes is definitely not enough. The sets and attention to detail is amazing. I also love the fact that they didn't tone down the plot themes to make it more "family friendly", which I thought they might.

Luv luv the show, brings back memories. Im 41 now. I remember with the boyfriend thing, someone else wud always say blah blah wants to go out with u. Not the guy actually telling you himself lol.

bring back the milk bars that did the Big M's frothy hot. Remember those...

Back