Skip to main content

Paramount to sell 10?

Posted a new thread for lack of a better place to post.

Paramount seem totally fine with 10 being on the bottom rung of commercial networks. I wonder if new ownership might be what 10 needs in order to win back some of the audience share it had in the noughties.

There was a lot of hope for the CBS deal that it would lead to improved fortunes (via access to the CBS/Paramount catalogue), but that hasn't happened. Would anyone want to buy 10? I wouldn't touch a TV network with a barge pole.

There was a lot of hope for the CBS deal that it would lead to improved fortunes (via access to the CBS/Paramount catalogue), but that hasn't happened. Would anyone want to buy 10? I wouldn't touch a TV network with a barge pole.
I think the key to broadcast TV these days is making TV an event. I think if 10 could find a buyer willing to actually do something with it and offer an alternative to what Nine and Seven are putting out they’d have a shot.

A few things need to be remembered here.

The rumours about Paramount selling Ten have come from The Australian newspaper. The Australian newspaper is owned by Murdoch/News Corp. Back in 2017, Lachlan Murdoch was trying to drive down Ten’s share price, in order to make it cheaper for him to take full control of. CBS bought Ten from under his nose before his strategy could be complete. This caused a bit of animosity between CBS and News Corp; and News Corp have never fully gotten over the fact that CBS ‘stole’ Ten from them.

The second thing to remember is that Ten/Paramount are currently trying to buy the AFL rights once they go on sale from 2025 onwards. Seven and Foxtel have the AFL rights for the next 2 seasons, and Foxtel (also owned by News Corp) relies heavily on the AFL to prop up its declining subscriptions. Therefore, they need to prevent the AFL from going to Ten/Paramount. Some in the AFL want to stick with Seven/Foxtel because they perceive the current arrangement as quite stable, and many perceive Ten/Paramount as the more risky option. Taking that into consideration, it is in News Corp’s best interest to create uncertainty around Ten’s ownership. Making the Ten ownership seem unstable will support the argument that the AFL should stick with Seven/Foxtel.

BTW I’m not saying that the rumours aren’t true or couldn’t be true. But that the paper pushing these rumours has a clear motive for doing so.

Last edited:
Posted a new thread for lack of a better place to post.

Paramount seem totally fine with 10 being on the bottom rung of commercial networks. I wonder if new ownership might be what 10 needs in order to win back some of the audience share it had in the noughties.
While 10/0 had some fantastic shows from 70s thru to 00's, they always seemed like they were more 'alternative' (for a lack of a better word) than the other commercial networks. They seemed to embrace this & not care as much about audience share and in the process made some great (& terrible!) Aussie productions. I guess what i'm trying to say is 10/0 accepted being the bottom rung of the commercial networks but it worked for them because they thought outside the box.

I think CBS/Viacom/Paramount have actually been very good for 10 and although they may still be a distant third they've embraced their own position in the market rather than thrown money at being desperate to challenge 7 and 9. Most importantly they've put it on a much better financial footing after years of always being on the verge of bankruptcy, even if that has come at the expense of news coverage especially.

As someone said in the ratings thread too 10 may not win at 7.30 or in the 5-7.30 slots but they do often benefit in the post-reality show slots by keeping the 8.40 slot as an option for later programming rather than running all their reality shows for 90+ minutes.

Back