Skip to main content

Official Big Brother Canada logo unveiled

Here's a real first look at the BBC House... It looks like it's going to be MASSIVE! I'm hoping they have a challenge area somewhere in there as well so that they don't have to lock down the HM's from the "Yard" when they are constructing/deconstructing the challenge sets... It also looks like they are planning on having a fairly large audience... I'm not too impressed with the pool however I'm impressed with the plans they have for the lighting in there... I'm also hoping they take a page from BB UK & AU and change the floor plan (even if it's only minor) if they plan on continuing the series further... In several of the shots you can see cutouts for mirrors... I wonder if this house will have a second level or whether those are just so that they film areal some areal footage... Also since the house will have a rather high ceiling I'd love it if the house copied the staircase from BBUK... Anyways I'm excited to see this house finished...

View My Video

View My Video

Thanks for posting these Kingston, I might have to check this out, my memory is fuzzy, did Canada do a version of Loft Story?

I really hope they out their own stamp on it. Perhaps don't reveal the votes until after the housemate is evicted. Gives the viewers suspense.

Maybe actually having a big brother figure telling them they have been evicted as they leave the house (a countdown).

I would just love for them to involve big brother a little more. A simple "this is big brother" wouldn't be to hard would it??

Oh and for goodness sake just add on an extra 20 minutes and have the winner remain in the house so they can celebrate their win properly.

Like hell that would happen though.

I really hope they out their own stamp on it. Perhaps don't reveal the votes until after the housemate is evicted. Gives the viewers suspense.

Maybe actually having a big brother figure telling them they have been evicted as they leave the house (a countdown).

I would just love for them to involve big brother a little more. A simple "this is big brother" wouldn't be to hard would it??

Oh and for goodness sake just add on an extra 20 minutes and have the winner remain in the house so they can celebrate their win properly.

Like hell that would happen though.

In the first season I have no doubt that there will be some areas where the producers will take their own liberties however I can assure you that you can mark a giant NO next to each of those items on your list...

BBUS never included those items in fact in the final of BB1 Julie entered the house to interview the winner and runner up and showed them clips of their journey... Also while at times during an episode viewers could hear producers speaking to the HG's over a loud speaker in the house or in the "Red Room" (the term Diary Room came from BBUK) there was no Big Brother "character" and said voice certainly never introduced him or herself...

As Big Brother was produced by several key people from the Netherlands who were closely involved with the original can assume that there were probably several minor changes to suit American tastes however the format remained virtually unchanged... That being said the items on your wishlist were innovations added later on, and while they may be seen as important to you they would be seen as fairly strange and pointless to your average North American viewer, considering BBUS has survived 14 seasons without them...

Most BB fans in Canada have never seen BB outside of the US format... Most did not start watching BB until after the show was reformatted in season 2... Those who have been with the show from the beginning do no look back fondly on BB1 calling it "boring"... Most fans enjoy the fighting and the backstabbing BBUS provides and are unaware that BBUS is one of very few BB formats that operate this way... The majority of BB fans would like BB Canada to be a carbon copy of the American show... Aside from minor differences pushing the boundaries too far would ensure failure...

ETA: I was a bit confused about the details but have since found a copy of the first final of BBUS... Josh (the runner up) and his family were sent out of the house in the final moments of the show but this was not treated as an eviction and was simply done so that Julie could conduct a short 3-4 minute interview with Eddie... Both of them were treated like winners as the finale was treated as a celebration of the experience and everyone involved rather than just the winner... The bulk of the interviews with the final 2 were conducted simultaneously before the winner was announced...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these Kingston, I might have to check this out, my memory is fuzzy, did Canada do a version of Loft Story?

Loft Story ran for 6 seasons in Quebec and it's audience was limited to french speakers... After the network that aired LS was sold and re-branded it was decided that they would produce their own fully branded version of Big Brother. This format was a reworked version of the US format, however the series was plagued with criticism that it had taken too many liberties with the format as many viewers were expecting a carbon copy of the US version. Subsequently the show was cancelled...

All of that being said the majority of Canadians would be unaware these shows even existed as both of these shows were marketed to a population that makes up less than 50% of the country... Therefore "Big Brother Canada" is considered to be Canada's first official version...

well he does look well hung to be having fun hanging with

is BB Canada going to be in English or do we have to learn the language of love (and i'm not referring to the movie, Cameron style)?

i am now looking forward to watching BBC, i haven't watch an OS version before

so there is no Big Brother voice? that's one of the main things i enjoy, the interaction between him and the HMs. are they called HGs there?

an inside outside, what's with that? is the weather that bad in Canada?

not sure at all how BBUS works so it should be an interesting watch

how many HMs go in?

i am now looking forward to watching BBC, i haven't watch an OS version before

so there is no Big Brother voice? that's one of the main things i enjoy, the interaction between him and the HMs. are they called HGs there?

an inside outside, what's with that? is the weather that bad in Canada?

not sure at all how BBUS works so it should be an interesting watch

how many HMs go in?

You are starting to ask too many questions...

As I stated above the American version has never featured a proper voice of BB as part of the broadcast show... If you watch the feed you will get familiar with the voice of Don Wollman who is one of the Executive Producers who gives the HG's direction. Occasionally we might hear something on the CBS show however this is very rare... Given that BBC is based on the American version it is unlikely that BBC will include this.

All contestants on the show will be called House Guests, this is most likely due to the fact that BBUS was the first English version of the show and the word Guest was the best translation from the original Dutch word. "Mate" is more of a common term in the UK than it is over here which is why they decided to refer to their contestants as Housemates.

The Big Brother Canada house is located in Mississauga Ontario and will air from mid February to May which is the tail end of Winter in the northern hemisphere... The average temperatures during those months especially in the beginning will be in negative numbers (°C) and we've been known to get quite a lot of snow...

We never know how many HG's there will be until the show airs... Closer to it's air date we may have more spoilers alluding to the actual number but we won't know for sure... However the number will range anywhere from 12 to 16 people...

I'd recommend you check out some old seasons of BBUS before you watch BBC... It will give you a better idea of what to expect or if you'll even like the show to begin with....

thanks, i wasn't expecting such detailed answers

i am going to check out old BBUS but i have a feeling i am not going to like the format

A glimpse at the house - doesn't look like they're straying too far from the US layout:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.311250952321239.70739.239909169455418&type=1

Is it just me or does it look bigger than the US house? I don't hate the US layout so much as I just wish they'd allow from some changes from year to year... At least with the old house they had attempted some minor changes to the basic structure and the back bedrooms were almost always reconfigured... I'm happy at least that the BBC house will have similar features but is not just a carbon copy...

That being said even with the changes every year the UK house is becoming stagnant... I mean there really only so many ways things can be arranged and the two houses we've seen in the C5 era weren't as drastic as some of the others over the years... It would be nice if they reverted the house back to the style we saw in BB3/4 with raised ceilings... I think that would give the house a completely different feeling...

It is often changes for changes sake with BBUK - and you get a nice house which is torn down the next year even though it worked. One of my favourite BBUK houses is still BB2, and that was essentially the same as the BB1 house but with a few modifications to make rooms bigger etc. - and that's often why the Celeb BB houses work well too as they basically get to improve the last season house.

The Canadian house (can't be doing with the BBC acronym - it's too confusing!) does look a bit bigger in some pics, though whether that's because it's still all white I don't know. I assume it's being built on a sound stage rather than from scratch.

Back