Skip to main content

NBN

February

I think, therefore I am, I think ...
Our area is now getting ready for the NBN. What experiences has everybody else had with the change over I need to know about.
Last year a lot of my clients I spoke to were have problems, but recently, it sounds like it's gone a lot more smoothly!

FTTN is currently being rolled out where my apartment in Sydney is, but fortunately TPG installed FTTB in the building six months before I left Australia, so my tenant has had the benefit of that for almost three years while NBN pisses about with inferior tech. Similarly in Melbourne, they are rolling out HFC in my sister's suburb. She lives in an older unit block. Just six doors along, people are getting FTTC, so it would seem to be silly to install coax to 20 units, when they could bring the fibre less than 100m along the street and give the units FTTC/FTTB and usee their existing copper pairs. But when did the MTM ever make sense.

How is it that the Coalition's crappy network was meant to be completed in 2016, but major inner city suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne are still waiting in 2019? What a farce. Sorry to rant.

Oh, and btw, I went to an ISP office here in Phnom Penh and applied for fibre. Three hours later the guys turned up and installed it. Sure, there are hundreds of dodgy wires strung from poles everywhere but hey, it works.

Reactions: kxk
We were meant to get switched over in August 2018, then it changed to January 2020, now it's October 2019!
All the street stuff was done outside our place last week.
If it's like the light rail in Sydney, it won't be sorted for another 10 years!

My suburb was one of the first in the country to get it (it was a swing seat at the ?2010 election). I was overseas when it came in and had recently moved to the suburb when it happened so didn't know it was happening - I came back from overseas with my wireless internet not working. It took a month of calling Optus every second day before they realised it was because NBN had come in and then they fixed it within like 24 hours. I had to get some wall plug ins to get the NDIS box to communicate to my TV so I can watch Netflix etc. on my TV. I have an older TV so I'm not sure if that is something different because I have had NBN so long (eg. if you can watch Netflix on TV without the wall plugs now anyway)

We're with Optus but have the
Fetch entertainment thing. Gave away Netflix after the first trial period. I'm assuming the initial installation problems have been sorted. We've not been bombarded by telco info yet. Not sure what to expect

Supposed to be getting the “NBN” in April. HFC. No idea what i need to do yet. A couple of companies already sent me their plans.

Supposed to be getting the “NBN” in April. HFC. No idea what i need to do yet. A couple of companies already sent me their plans.
I've heard all the telcos bombard you with deals when it's about to happen.
It'll be interesting to hear how you go. Please post your experience.

When we got TPGs FTTB installed, I tried to encourage my friends (neighbours) to sign up. They wouldn't because they didn't want to change their email addresses.

My suggestion is to anyone switching to NBN, choose whichever provider that gives you the best plan, and change your email to either a 'portable' one like Gmail or Zoho or, better still (IMO) register your own domain name and point the new email to Gmail/Zoho/your new RSP so if you ever change provider, move overseas or anything you will never need to change it again. It's just ridiculous to be married to an ISP just because of your email address.

Yes, it's a pain to change your email address not just because you need to advise all your contacts, but also because of all the sites you have registered with your old one. You'll need to go into each site's settings menu and update it there. But once you've done this you will never need to do it again.

We'll be sticking with Optus as we have Optus Fetch TV which is really good for everything we need, but I know what you mean by people sticking with their existing ISPs purely for the fact they don't want to change their emial addresses.

We'll be sticking with Optus as we have Optus Fetch TV which is really good for everything we need, but I know what you mean by people sticking with their existing ISPs purely for the fact they don't want to change their emial addresses.
lol I am one of those - I have a bigpond email address which is mostly used for junk email but at the time we got NBN we really had too much shit going on in our life for me to go through the thousands of junk emails in there for to work out if there is anyone of value I will miss if I got rid of it so we stayed with telstra.

lol I am one of those - I have a bigpond email address which is mostly used for junk email but at the time we got NBN we really had too much shit going on in our life for me to go through the thousands of junk emails in there for to work out if there is anyone of value I will miss if I got rid of it so we stayed with telstra.
WE get SO much shit email too. I use Thunderbird as my email client and have found a way to filter out the crap we don't want. It's good at filtering out what you know you don't want , but we still get loads of general shit from who knows where and that drives me nuts!
I just hit delete and don't even look at what it is anymore. I know what I'm expecting and what I'm not.
Same with the phone. We never answer it. It's full of scammers!

WE get SO much shit email too. I use Thunderbird as my email client and have found a way to filter out the crap we don't want. It's good at filtering out what you know you don't want , but we still get loads of general shit from who knows where and that drives me nuts!
I just hit delete and don't even look at what it is anymore. I know what I'm expecting and what I'm not.
Same with the phone. We never answer it. It's full of scammers!
i only have a landline because my parents live in a different country so its cheaper to talk to them on a land line than mobile. I only answer the phone if I am pretty sure it is them calling. Or if I feel like playing with the scammers -see if I can get them to hang up on me!

i only have a landline because my parents live in a different country so its cheaper to talk to them on a land line than mobile. I only answer the phone if I am pretty sure it is them calling. Or if I feel like playing with the scammers -see if I can get them to hang up on me!
Yup, it's only my partners family who call on the landline from Scotland. His mum and sister don't have wifi whereas my mum and sister do, so we do the Whatspp thing which is very useful.
And yes, my partner has had quite a bit of fun playing with scammy callers! - to the extent, he's now banned from answering the phone after a couple of beers on a Friday. Amusing as it is! 😅

Your parents don't do Skype/Viber/Whatsapp etc? And actually I use a VOIP service (ClicknCall, using the Zoiper app) to call landlines overseas, 20c/call to AU, NZ and a bunch of others. No need for a landline voice service any more.

We use Whatsapp for as many OS calls as we can, but my partners mum and sister don't have wifi, so we need the landline for them.

Your parents don't do Skype/Viber/Whatsapp etc? And actually I use a VOIP service (ClicknCall, using the Zoiper app) to call landlines overseas, 20c/call to AU, NZ and a bunch of others. No need for a landline voice service any more.
no they live in a very hilly area in west auckland so internet reception was not the greatest until recently (they couldn't even get mobile reception very well) So they have never used anything like skype and setting that sort of thing up for them just would be too hard. I have just had a hard enough time trying to sort some stuff out for them because they could not remember their email password while they were over here! My dad won't even get a smart phone so I think they will feel more comfortable with a normal telephone call to communicate anyway!

Okay, the NBN is now available at my address. Have only got offers from iinet and TPG. Interestingly, there's not a peep from Telstra, whom I'm currently with.

My current ADSL, which had been becoming increasinly unreliable, has now turned to absolute shit. Basically I have nothing usable in prime time hours. I'm supposing it's not a coincidence.

Okay, the NBN is now available at my address. Have only got offers from iinet and TPG. Interestingly, there's not a peep from Telstra, whom I'm currently with.

My current ADSL, which had been becoming increasinly unreliable, has now turned to absolute shit. Basically I have nothing usable in prime time hours. I'm supposing it's not a coincidence.
Have you spoken to Telstra? I'm dreading this change over. We'll be ready at the end of the year. I have heard some happy stories, and I've heard some not too happy ones. The recent ones have been more positive than the earlier ones.
Good luck. Let us know how you go.

Been wondering since I’m on adsl if I need to get cable to get the advertised speeds. A friend says I do. I guess that means dealing with Telstra.

Been wondering since I’m on adsl if I need to get cable to get the advertised speeds. A friend says I do. I guess that means dealing with Telstra.

Check on the NBN website what kind of NBN you can get at your place, i.e. fibre to the node (uses your existing phone line), HFC (uses Foxtel cable) or whatever. If it's FTTN or FTTC it will be the easiest to install but FTTN is the crappiest version.

Back