Skip to main content

My 50 Greatest Movies of All Time

Columbo

Never again
I have decided to start a new thread instead of clogging other threads so as to count down my fifty greatest movies that I have ever seen in my life. Now this may take days, it may take months, and it may even take years. But it will get done by me. I will not abandon this countdown. But it might take longer than that top 50 tv series that I did.

...'Zulu' is my #1 all time favourite movie... I have such a great memory of my dad taking my brother and I to a movie theatre when I was 11 years old to see it... it was in 'Technirama Technocolor' which was the new 'in thing' at the time from memory... I have a DVD of it and I have seen it well over 50 times I imagine... I put it on when I just want to see some good old fashioned adventure without 'special effects' for a change lol!... I love it... I so love the Zulu chants... that final attack on the fort is way beyond spectacular... it's stunning in it's magnificence... what a great tactic that was with the 3 tiered rifle fire... it saved them all... cheers.

Reactions: kxk
...'Somewhere in Time' starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour is a magnificent movie to do with love and romance through Time Travel... it shows what a man will do to be with the woman of his dreams... his soul mate... this movie came out a year or so after I had met the love of my life and we both loved the movie so I guess that's why I have such an affinity with this brilliant love story in the movie... it might have been made 38years ago (1980) but the love story within it is just as wonderful as the day that it was released in my opinion... cheers.

somewhere_in_time_header__index.jpg

...another movie to do with love not just for a woman but the whole family... 'What Dreams May Come' starring Robin Williams/ Annabella Sciorra and Cuba Gooding Jr... and I so love Rosalind Chao's performance in this move... she's not in it for long but does a powerful performance in making you tear up at one stage... Robin at his finest performance from within all of his movies for me... he carries it off brilliantly... the special effects are mind numbing but do not overpower the story or the performances... it is such a brilliant movie... I get absorbed within the story every time that I watch it... cheers.

066f5b3aa2ff9e1d5dc32658f3a438131dc710f8.jpg

a6cf517bf96e4081b69ce14221a8.jpg

hmmmm...should change title to 14 greatest movies of all time.

...naaaaah!... let's stick with the original title my friend... I've got a few more to eventually post methinks reepbot... what a great idea for a thread... cheers.

Well, this seems to be going well, @reepbot. I'll start then...

...I really love Audrey Hepburn in 'Wait until Dark' when she played a blind woman in a suspense thriller Jam.. she was brilliant...

...I can watch any movie with her in it as I can any Cary Grant movie... he was one of my favourite actors when I was growing up as was Audrey... I used to watch them with my mum at the time whereas dad would be sitting in a chair and grumbling because he liked neither of them lol!... aaaaah!... such memories!... and... Audrey and Cary were superbly matched up together in 'Charade'... another brilliant move that worked... the chemistry between them was superb... cheers.

And My Fair Lady....

Moon River is great except for the male lead, can't stand him and he spoils it a bit for me.

Came here to recommend SBS movies......they have a treasure trove for free.
Watched this last night, wonderful, Alicia Vikander is superb...
1199196227999_04110104_image135834_movieposter.jpg

And if you haven't seen Sufragettes & Sophie's Choice.....do yourself a favour, Sophie and her choice shocked me to my bones when I first saw it.
Suffragettes stars Carey Mulligan, she was in the original Doctor Who creepy statues story

i've heard of sophie's choice. i'll try looking at it in the library.

i've watched my fair lady. didn't think much of it tbh.

You can watch Sophie's Choice on SBS on demand

This looks interesting on tonight...

Movie: The Way Back

9HD Melbourne, 11:40pm, Sat, 14 Apr 2018, 150 minutes

REPEAT

When seven men decide to take their chances in the wild rather than remain in a Siberian gulag, they direct their footsteps (literally) towards India. Three manage to complete the 4,000 kilometre journey, after suffering many vicissitudes, from snow storms to mosquitoes, from starvation to terror, on the way. But their journey is just as much a moral one as a physical one.

Directed by Peter Weir. Colin Farrell, Ed Harris, Jim Sturgess, Dragos Bucur

2010, United States, English, Movie

This is the 1973 film with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman in the leading roles.

A truly fascinating flick. You see it once, you'll never forget it. Steve McQueen gets all the glory here, perhaps deservedly so. Dustin Hoffman IMO gave possibly his best performance here, with the exception of 'Rainman'... maybe.

I did manage to watch Sophie's Choice a year or so ago

It was great

Unlike licorice which was designed to destroy humanity

Back