Skip to main content

Michael's courtship talk...

eye

Practice safe sexting :)
I found Michael's courtship talk with Estelle so dumb.....

"Imagine if you were on the dark side on the moon,” Michael said. “The line where it would happen would be one of the most surreal things.”

Umm.. Michael, that shadow of which you speak happens on the earth all the time. It's called sunrise and sunset. There is no line that is so easily defined and its over a scale that would dwarf a human standing on the moon where it occurred (not that I think any man has ever stood on the moon ;)

And the line happens on the light and the "dark side" of the moon. What Michael means is the side facing away from us, which is not really any more "dark" than the side facing us so there's nothing particularly special about it aside from the fact it is more pock marked like his face from the increased asteroid impacts that side gets relative to the side facing us.

I found Michael's courtship talk with Estelle so dumb.....

"Imagine if you were on the dark side on the moon,” Michael said. “The line where it would happen would be one of the most surreal things.”

Umm.. Michael, that shadow of which you speak happens on the earth all the time. It's called sunrise and sunset. There is no line that is so easily defined and its over a scale that would dwarf a human standing on the moon where it occurred (not that I think any man has ever stood on the moon ;)

And the line happens on the light and the "dark side" of the moon. What Michael means is the side facing away from us, which is not really any more "dark" than the side facing us so there's nothing particularly special about it aside from the fact it is more pock marked like his face from the increased asteroid impacts that side gets relative to the side facing us.

Actually, there is a clear line but it would only define the entire 'dark side' of the moon during a full moon. because there is no atmosphere on the moon to diffuse the sunlight, this means that there is a very clear dark and light section at all times and the point where they meet could be called a line.. just like when you hold a black sheet of paper next to a white one. if you were standing on the moon on this line, it would be constantly moving due to the celestial movement/rotation. The so called 'dark side' of the moon actually means the complete half of the moon that is never visible to us from earth.. it isnt actualy completely dark for most of its cycles, only during a full moon.

Hope that helps.

Actually, there is a clear line but it would only define the entire 'dark side' of the moon during a full moon. because there is no atmosphere on the moon to diffuse the sunlight, this means that there is a very clear dark and light section at all times and the point where they meet could be called a line.. just like when you hold a black sheet of paper next to a white one. if you were standing on the moon on this line, it would be constantly moving due to the celestial movement/rotation. The so called 'dark side' of the moon actually means the complete half of the moon that is never visible to us from earth.. it isnt actualy completely dark for most of its cycles, only during a full moon.

Hope that helps.

Lol. You're talking to an astronomer and telling me about the things I pointed out above your post.

The line would not be visible on the moon. What we see from afar is just that, from afar. Trying to spot a demarcated line on the moon surface even without an atmosphere is like trying to spot the outline of Australia from Centrepoint tower. The "line" is occurring on a larger scale than a human observer and on a surface which is going to have undulations etc and grazing light that means on the human scale the shadow from a high lunar crater would obscure any such "line" which is occurring at a scale of tens to hundreds of kilometres and not a visible line in the lunar regolith.

You might see it from a distance of kilometres above the surface in a lunar orbiter, but not on the surface which is irregular and not a perfect sphere allowing for such a phenomenon. The scale is too large for a human to encompass from the surface, just like the line on Earth.

Michael describes it like you could have one foot on the dark side of the line and one in the light.

And I don't know about you, but standing anywhere on the fucking moon would be a surreal experience for me, let alone Michael's imagined cartoon plot line.

Michael was just attempting to sound cool with his line thing, but it was just silly. Sunrise on the moon, sick.

I would have simply waxed lyrical about the stellar wonders making me feel insignificant.

Maybe he watched that documentary 'The Chronicles of Riddick' where they out ran the sunrise?

But yes the dark side of the moon is just the side that doesn't face the earth. It isn't actually dark.

I think being anywhere on the moon would be surreal. Not just at night.
moonshorty_apollo17_960.jpg

*removing nonsense while my mind was on a frolic of its own.

Last edited:
LOL And I loved the unnecessary lean in towards Stella when he's pointing things in the sky out. He leans a little, then a little more towards her when there was just no need to. It looked like something a grade 6 kid might do. Worse than the old yawn/arm around the back trick.

I'm trying to think, but I think when we see the earths shadow on the moon it is permanently there for the whole 28/29 days. It'd still maybe appear to be moving if you could see it at any way, but I don't think you could. It'd be a gradual gradient transition on the edge. Not like a sharp line or even visible distinction. It's not like the earths shadow is focused, there's also the diffusion of light through the earths atmosphere. So it'd be gradual on the surface.

We only see the earths shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse. The fuzzy shadow is from the umbral and penumbral shadow cones on the lunar surface. The filtration of blue light from the sunlight that goes through the earths atmosphere can give the eclipsed moon a blood orange colour.

From the moon the earth also goes through phases as the moon orbits the earth.

The only difference is that the earth also rotates once every 24 hours, so a lunar observer would see the same shadow line across different parts of the earths surface as it rotates on its axis.

apollo08_earthrise.jpg

We only see the earths shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse. The fuzzy shadow is from the umbral and penumbral shadow cones on the lunar surface. The filtration of blue light from the sunlight that goes through the earths atmosphere can give the eclipsed moon a blood orange colour.

From the moon the earth also goes through phases as the moon orbits the earth.

The only difference is that the earth also rotates once every 24 hours, so a lunar observer would see the same shadow line across different parts of the earths surface as it rotates on its axis.

apollo08_earthrise.jpg

You know, I should know that. I am sure I did but my mind just walked off on some weird tangent reading about the "shadow" on the moon and picturing in my mind a crescent moon. I'm going to blame that on being incredibly hung over today with a bad nights sleep. Such a stupid mistake, I know I know better.

You know, I should know that. I am sure I did but my mind just walked off on some weird tangent reading about the "shadow" on the moon and picturing in my mind a crescent moon. I'm going to blame that on being incredibly hung over today with a bad nights sleep. Such a stupid mistake, I know I know better.

It's ok. Gave me a chance to rethink on it too so that's a bonus.

It's ok. Gave me a chance to rethink on it too so that's a bonus.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I used to spend time arguing stuff online like against global warming deniers and creationists. It's a good way to actually think things through, understand them ect. Good form of education.

Wait... no dark side of the moon? [insert poor Pink Floyd joke here]

Surely there is one? On Earth, our light source is the sun, right? So at night, when the sun is on the other side of the earth, it gets dark. We get some light reflected from the moon back on us, the magnitude would depend on how full the moon is. OK, we're not all bumping into things on a moonless night, but it is "dark".

So wouldn't it be the same for the moon? One side is not facing the sun, and there would be a (presumably larger) amount of light reflected from the Earth onto the moon, but surely there is some portion not getting direct sunlight, so it would be "dark".

I assume the distance from other stars is relatively similar from all other stars to the moon and earth, if the next closest star than the sun is 4 light years away, and we are 92 million miles from the moon, then alpha centauri is 4 light years away from the moon as well, since 92 million miles is a piss in the wind to a light year. As such I assume light from all other stars is negligible.

So, I'm visualising a triangle made by the earth, moon and sun. Sometimes all points are in a line, so an eclipse. but most times, there is this triangle. If I think of it as the yellow, white and blue balls on a billiard table, Im thinking, say, at half moon as it appears to us, the moon is getting a full face from the sun (which we only see half of), but as we see a half moon, doesn't that mean we are reflecting some light back onto an adjacent quadrant, effectively covering the moon with 270 degrees of direct or reflected light? So isn't there SOME portion that is "dark"

Not trolling, I'm confused.

But yes, I though umbra/penumbra as he was saying it.

The so called "dark side" of the moon is a misnomer.

It is just the way people referred to the side that always faces away from us. Over the aeons the moon stopped rotating because of tidal braking forces from the earth and so always has one face towards us.

When it is a full moon, the dark side is indeed the dark side and faces away from the sun so would be pitch black and have only star shine since there is no albedo effect from the earth on the "dark side".

Michael's full of shit. This is clearly strategy because he's realised Estelle is well liked by the public. Better to be spooning the fan fave than conspiring against her. I see through him so clearly, and as the HMs would say "I'm off it".

Even when deciding who to share the Thai with he said he should take Estelle 'for strategic reasons'....Wonder if he has any idea he will lose fans talking and behaving in that manner.

Lol. You're talking to an astronomer and telling me about the things I pointed out above your post.

The line would not be visible on the moon. What we see from afar is just that, from afar. Trying to spot a demarcated line on the moon surface even without an atmosphere is like trying to spot the outline of Australia from Centrepoint tower. The "line" is occurring on a larger scale than a human observer and on a surface which is going to have undulations etc and grazing light that means on the human scale the shadow from a high lunar crater would obscure any such "line" which is occurring at a scale of tens to hundreds of kilometres and not a visible line in the lunar regolith.

You might see it from a distance of kilometres above the surface in a lunar orbiter, but not on the surface which is irregular and not a perfect sphere allowing for such a phenomenon. The scale is too large for a human to encompass from the surface, just like the line on Earth.

Haha, thats what happen when you (and by that i mean 'I') quickly 'read' the forums after a few beers with people over lol. I re-read your post and you make perfect sense. The area would indeed be immensely gradual due to it being the surface of a sphere.. undulating or not!

Back