Skip to main content

Masterchef: The Professionals 2013

Yes unfortunately in this instance you could have served something that tasted disgusting but as long as it was a re-invent it was all good, dumb imo.

Yep I agree that reinventions are ridiculous. The idea that globs of fruit & meringue all splattered across the plate are somehow better than an actual pavlova.

It could have gone either way.

The problem with Akuc is that she never reinvented in the invention tests.

Fish and Chips. She tried to just do fish and chips which she had never done before.

Sunday roast. She just cooked some chicken dish she had done a bunch of times before and eats at home.

Pavolova, she just made a pavlova roulade.

She was one of the weakest contestants in the show, and she had survived longer than she should have and in my opinion this was due to subtle racism where she was given lowered standards.

As to the deconstructed pav shit. I don't get it either. I don't get the whole deconstructed thing. The second a pav was mentioned I said, 'deconstructed pav.' Here's a dish, lets make the elements in much smaller quantities and stick them randomly around a plate.

Sometimes I watch and go, 'i'd be so shitty if I got that in a restaurant.' Looks like when a young child randomly glues shit to a paper plate in an art class. Then the amounts are woeful. Ooo an expensive desert with three raspberries on the plate!

Well I for one 'get' the reconstructon/deconstructed thing............really great chefs are imaginative and creative and that keeps them at the top of their game - forever.
Have been watching that Spanish El Bullli best chef in the world molecular guy - show on about his lab and restaurant on SBS.
Fascinating. And not at all silly like I sort of thought that stuff was.
Food is all about scientific type reactions/actions, like baking powder makes flour rise/yeast makes bread rise, molecular doesn't have to be dicky.

I reckon deconstruction appeals to eaters like me, picky and we hate big overwhelming plates/servings.
I don't much like pav - it's too big and overwhelming, and sickly. I would love what Cameron made.

I'm so disappointed that this thread is only 3 pages long since the start of the show. The comments on the official facebook and channel 10 forums are so idiotic and inane they make me want to punch things.

Real cooks v pretenders, shame pretenders are winning really, the real cooks are doing some intense stuff

Would think some of the food/cooking/lifestyle shows would have some kind of presence at the huge Melbourne Food & Wine Show, especially MC since Preston used to run the festival and they moved to Melbourne.

Nothing - maybe they hate the tv shows

I rather want Rhys to win. Failing that, Sarah. I definitely want Rhett to go next! Because, frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn (about him).

I'd love Sarah or Rhys to win also. They have both endeared themselves to me with their humility, grace and competence. I hope Rhett goes next too, not so keen on him.

I wish Michael the bobblehead would stand still while he's cooking. He seems like a nice guy and a good cook but he makes me dizzy watching him bounce all over the place.

Hahah wynter, too true. I have a soft spot for Michael as well so wouldn't even mind if he took it out...just not Rhett. I really liked dear, sweet Bonnie too...she is such a sweetie and she did so well getting to finals week. I got a bit teary when she left.

I wish Michael the bobblehead would stand still while he's cooking. He seems like a nice guy and a good cook but he makes me dizzy watching him bounce all over the place.

My husband calls Michael the Energizer Bunny!

No offence @energizer_bunny; I'm sure your cooking skills, hair and femininity are all faultless!

Is Michael's hair getting more spiked with every episode? Does it have anything to do with the whole bounce thing?

I love Sarah and Rhys as well, Sarah is so talented she continually leaves me stunned. And Rhys is so cool he continually leaves me wanting to see more - I don't think he'll win though.

How artistic are the real chefs? I love the way they plate up, it looks wonderful and I'd love to learn a smidge of that - I'm sure the biggest part is the creative artist eye. George C always made things look beautiful too.

I don't mind Rhett. He's a confident and assured chef and I'm sure his food tastes fantastic but I don't really think he's as good as Sarah. I think it's between Michael and Sarah barring any catastrophes.

Flamin' hell, darlings! So many emotions! So glad possible future lovers (in my mind) Sarah and Rhys won; so sad marvellous Michael left and rotten Rhett stayed.

No not really.

Not a big fan of the Professionals series, watched it on and off didn't hate it but didn't love it either.

Back