Skip to main content

LOVE ISLAND USA - Season 1

DigitalCorp

Always Watching
So, CBS is going to have an adaptation of Love Island on five nights a week. They promoted it on Big Brother last night... the Veto winner gets a bonus trip for 2 to Fiji.

Is Love Island any good, or is it like Temptation Island or Bachelor Pad?

So, CBS is going to have an adaptation of Love Island on five nights a week. They promoted it on Big Brother last night... the Veto winner gets a bonus trip for 2 to Fiji.

Is Love Island any good, or is it like Temptation Island or Bachelor Pad?

Better than both of them and in my opinion, better than Big Brother as well. I love it!!

I would love to watch the USA version. Already a major fan of the UK version and I tolerate the Australian version.

Reactions: kxk
Is it mostly going to be sex and other mushy, romantic stuff, or is there more to it? I would think CBS would have to tone it down considerably for 8 at night (a traditional "family hour").

Here's an article that really hypes it up, comparing it to Game of Thrones: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...boss-compares-us-version-game-thrones-1222785

There is quite a lot more to it. The drama and arguments are the biggest part of the show. Also partner swapping is very common on the show which lead to these dramatic moments and arguments. Also plenty of fun aspects with challenges.

Unsure whether they will tone it down for an 8pm show. The Australian version ran at 8.30 and most of it was arguments, romance and challenges. Really good show but prefer the UK version. I will have a read of that article and let you know what I think.

@DigitalCorp : Did you end up watching it? How was it?

Well, they spent an awful lot of time introducing the guys and the girls, and coupling up took a while. And right before something good happened, CBS went to break for effect. The "diary room" segments are a lot like Big Brother, except instead of advancing the plot, we go on about how relationships might work, and so on and so forth. And when it came time for Kyra to decide who to steal, they went to break, and then they told us to come back tomorrow night and watch. I suppose it's on par with early episodes of Network 10-era BBAU and The Bachelor.

The people themselves are Central Casting, your typical pretty people. I don't think they'd take a 6'2", 240-lb. nerdy slob like myself. Everybody looks like they belong on an episode of The Bold and the Beautiful. They're bold and beautiful.

Of course, there was no way to vote on anything. There was nothing to vote for.

It's the sort of show where you don't really have to be paying attention to the screen all the time, which was nice because I downloaded my copy of Dr. Mario World to my phone. Is that the right idea?

I guess I'm just so used to the Survivor and BBUS formats (chat, chat, strategy, strategy, challenge, eviction/tribal), that there really wasn't anything to get me hooked.

How often do they have challenges? Are there any fights? If I'm going to be spending an hour every night watching people make out and stuff, forget it.

Well, they spent an awful lot of time introducing the guys and the girls, and coupling up took a while. And right before something good happened, CBS went to break for effect. The "diary room" segments are a lot like Big Brother, except instead of advancing the plot, we go on about how relationships might work, and so on and so forth. And when it came time for Kyra to decide who to steal, they went to break, and then they told us to come back tomorrow night and watch. I suppose it's on par with early episodes of Network 10-era BBAU and The Bachelor.

The people themselves are Central Casting, your typical pretty people. I don't think they'd take a 6'2", 240-lb. nerdy slob like myself. Everybody looks like they belong on an episode of The Bold and the Beautiful. They're bold and beautiful.

Of course, there was no way to vote on anything. There was nothing to vote for.

It's the sort of show where you don't really have to be paying attention to the screen all the time, which was nice because I downloaded my copy of Dr. Mario World to my phone. Is that the right idea?

I guess I'm just so used to the Survivor and BBUS formats (chat, chat, strategy, strategy, challenge, eviction/tribal), that there really wasn't anything to get me hooked.

How often do they have challenges? Are there any fights? If I'm going to be spending an hour every night watching people make out and stuff, forget it.

Challenges occur often. Unsure how many times they will be used on the US version.

There are plenty of fights. Kyra is going to steal someone tomorrow? Most likely will be the start of all the drama... If not, it will happen very soon. As I said, partner swapping is common on this show. There should be plenty of drama like the UK version if it is to be successful.

I saw the first episode, I just thought it looked very desperate that they left it on that cliffhanger, like they had little confidence in it. I don't watch 'love' reality shows anyway as I suppose it could just seem fake.

I saw the first episode, I just thought it looked very desperate that they left it on that cliffhanger, like they had little confidence in it. I don't watch 'love' reality shows anyway as I suppose it could just seem fake.

Exactly. They do whatever it takes to pull you in for the next episode. Well, at least Matthew Hoffman's narration makes it worthwhile. He is quite funny.

Last night, they celebrated Weston's birthday and brought in two new girls. There has still been only one opportunity to vote this season, and that was only to determine who the two new guys should date.

I would've thought CBS would have given more control to the public by now, if they were playing true to the original series.

So I can't watch full episodes so I will have to go with the snippets.

Host is terrible (sorry to say). Even Sophie is better and that does not say a lot.

Some of the guys are average looking at best. Winston is alright though. Cashel too.

Girls seem bland but won't judge them off one clip.

Reactions: kxk
I'm not even sure why I still watch this show. It's not like this show is giving me any motivation to follow these people.

Notice they've now put an ex-Big Brother HG in to try and get some of the crossover audience - though someone who was booted around week 2 last year isn't really going to do that job.

It's what happens next that'll be interesting - usually a show rating like this is lucky to not get pulled off the air, never mind return the following year, yet there is the feeling CBS bid for it to prevent another network using it as a rival to BB, so they may decide to hold on to it and give it another go. After all Big Brother USA itself could easily have been axed after it's first season, but they completely retooled it to make it more suitable for a US audience in the second series and got another 20 seasons of it. I still think a move to the CW might be the way to go.

Back