Skip to main content

Latest trends in TVland

~Robbie~

#BBFAN
So.. I'm sure that we are all aware of the flogging of the dead horse that is know as reality TV genre.
I think it's fair to say that the Australian public are well and truly sick of being over saturated in the same old, same old batch of reality shows, each and every year.
In this list we have.. Cooking shows, Talent shows, Singing shows, Renovation shows, weight loss shows and of course.. one of the originals in reality.. Big brother style shows.
But there seems to be a new trend coming our way.. and it's already been kicked off in the past year or so with the semi cooking show.. recipe to riches, but it adds a next level element of shopping.. were you can buy the same food product that the contestants are showing off that week.
So it's now.. Shopping/reality that that is hitting our selves and adding a whole new level of interaction between the viewers and the contestants each week.
In 2015 we will have our own, locally produced Shark tank which follows the same format.. the contestant/winners have a product that they have created and will get the funding and backing to be able to have it on our shelves to try out during the show.

Hmmm. I'm sorry. It might just be my frame of mind but I'm a bit underwhelmed. I would think there is a risk of attracting a lot of flash in the pan hype.

They're doing an Aussie Gogglebox. I am a little excited but nervous it won't be as good as the UK version.

I have never been into reality shows with the exception of Big Brother. I will watch bits and pieces of some of them if I feel really bored. There is saturation to the point of viewers drowning in reality waters. I wonder if the lack of profit with the latest Block could be indicative of the fed up ness of it all. Any ideas as to why we are being flooded with this stuff?

I have never been into reality shows with the exception of Big Brother. I will watch bits and pieces of some of them if I feel really bored. There is saturation to the point of viewers drowning in reality waters. I wonder if the lack of profit with the latest Block could be indicative of the fed up ness of it all. Any ideas as to why we are being flooded with this stuff?
Speaking of reality waters, remember Sylvania Waters? Oh dear.

I have never been into reality shows with the exception of Big Brother.

Same here. Just about all the reality aussie shows are too damn cheesy for my liking (X factor, the block, master chef, biggest loser, the voice, sytycd etc...), they're all about bringing the family unit together for a nice wholesome tv viewing evening. :rolleyes: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

The housemates may be in a confined space under contrived circumstances but their interactions with each other are all 'real', warts and all. And that's what gets me interested in the concept whilst other rtv shows bore me to tears.

Corporate saturation, shows like masterchef, MKR and Recipe to Riches as well as the Block have very very strong ties to Woolworths/Coles/Mitre 10, even more so than BB and ambipur, practically in every single episode, they pay a lot of that kind of tie in, helping cover the costs of production, plus (mostly) they rate, cheap and nasty

Corporate saturation, shows like masterchef, MKR and Recipe to Riches as well as the Block have very very strong ties to Woolworths/Coles/Mitre 10, even more so than BB and ambipur, practically in every single episode, they pay a lot of that kind of tie in, helping cover the costs of production, plus (mostly) they rate, cheap and nasty

cheap and nasty

Not to mention boring. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Why people 'enjoy' watching this derivate crap is beyond me. *shrugs*

I love the US version of Shark Tank.

It will all come down to the shark casting IMO. The shark's are what makes the US version so watchable.

They're doing an Aussie Gogglebox. I am a little excited but nervous it won't be as good as the UK version.

I just googled this and my god that sounds like the most boring show ever! Shark Tank sounds boring too.

It will all come down to the shark casting IMO. The shark's are what makes the US version so watchable.
That ghastly US morning show on channel 9 did Shark Tank with each of the presenters coming up with an invention. I only watch that drivel when I'm on nights as the constant talking over each other is very tiring and I'm not usually awake then when I'm not on nights. We don't do that here, we just have Karl and Kochie to bore us silly.

I just googled this and my god that sounds like the most boring show ever! Shark Tank sounds boring too.
It does sound boring. I first looked it up when George from season 1 or 2 was in celeb big brother UK and thought how boring. But then I got obsessed with him so watched Gogglebox to get a George fix and it is funny as all get out.

In the US there has not been a new reality TV hit since 2011 with the Voice. Reality TV is pretty stagnate at the moment in the US. Well made scripted cable length (10-13) serialized dramas is where it is at in the US. Here in OZ it looks like reality TV is still on top, how long that will last is anyone's guess. Although this year The x-factor lost a good 700k compared to last year and the there were a few other shows..*cough cough* BB.... that also lost audience from last year. MasterChef grew it's audience tho, I suspect it was because the 2013 pre-season marketing was horrible (Boys vs Girls) where as this year it was all about the food.

I have to say that IACGMOUH, Shark Tank and Googlebox are what I am looking forward to the most next year. All on Ten, Seven and Nine just have the same old crap imo. I hope that 2015 is a good year for Ten.

Master chef junior is pretty popular but I don't know the viewing figures.

There have been a couple of decent ideas and companies on Shark Tank. I used to watch the UK version occasionally and it was pretty good to see the ideas people had.

TV does seem a bit dull at the moment. Drama is very strong but we're missing the emergence of new genres which every station then rips off until we're sick of them.

TV does seem a bit dull at the moment. Drama is very strong but we're missing the emergence of new genres which every station then rips off until we're sick of them.
What they do is put a drama on, change the schedule for it etc etc, not give it a chance, take it off air and then give us reruns of, for example, decades old Better Homes and Gardens.

What they do is put a drama on, change the schedule for it etc etc, not give it a chance, take it off air and then give us reruns of, for example, decades old Better Homes and Gardens.
And this is why people become pirates. My parents who are in their 50's asked me to show them how to download because they were fed up FTA and they have never willingly broken a law in their lives.

We already had a version of Shark Tank called Dragon's Den some years ago. It didn't rate so it never got a 2nd season. I wonder

Back