Skip to main content

jessy_girl's junk food jamboree

Perfection of chicken twisties. Unsurpassed.
Been many a long year since I had .
Such are the rich enduring memories and mini time capsules since encapsulated in my mind.

I think this is wrong.

I don't mean I disagree with it, I mean it's actually incorrect.

It claims that Wendy's is the most hated fast food chain in Australia.

But the Wendy's we have is not the same as the overseas Wendys.

Theirs is burgers, ours is ice cream and shakes. And nobody hates those.
mosthatedfastfoodbrand.jpg

My mum felt like some ice cream, particularly an Eskimo Pie.

What she got tastes the same, but has been rebranded as a POLAR PIE.

Why? Were any genuine People Of Eskimo Origin living in Australia offended by the cultural appropriation of naming a tasty treat after them?

What about the Polar bears?

PolarPie_MP6_3D_highres-821x1024.png

Apparently Arnott's are dropping their packets of assorted classic biscuits.
I'm not overly bothered though as it's not the one I usually get. Assorted creams is better.
As long as there are still Orange Slices and Monte Carlo's I'm ok,

My mum felt like some ice cream, particularly an Eskimo Pie.

What she got tastes the same, but has been rebranded as a POLAR PIE.

Why? Were any genuine People Of Eskimo Origin living in Australia offended by the cultural appropriation of naming a tasty treat after them?

What about the Polar bears?

PolarPie_MP6_3D_highres-821x1024.png

Eskimo actually does have racial undertones. Majority of people who use this term don’t mean ill will and many won’t take offence but historically it has been a derogatory term so I guess from a company’s perspective it’s wise to remove any negative association from a product’s name. Maybe people complained, who knows?

As for polar bears, well they obviously won’t take offence…

Eskimo actually does have racial undertones. Majority of people who use this term don’t mean ill will and many won’t take offence but historically it has been a derogatory term so I guess from a company’s perspective it’s wise to remove any negative association from a product’s name. Maybe people complained, who knows?

As for polar bears, well they obviously won’t take offence…
I guess it's the same with Chico's.
99% of people who ate them probably never had a single racial thought about them, but for the percentage that did, and were hurt by it, it's worth learning to be culturally sensitive.

I guess it's the same with Chico's.
99% of people who ate them probably never had a single racial thought about them, but for the percentage that did, and were hurt by it, it's worth learning to be culturally sensitive.

Sometimes people get very bothered by this name changes, I remember people swearing to boycott “cheer” case after it changed from coon. But to me I think it makes no difference, save the frustration for a change in the recipe. This isn’t aimed at you by the way.

In general, I’m happy to be d corrected and change my language if someone else seems it offensive. Sometimes this goes way too far, but certainly things like a food product I just think it makes absolutely no difference to those who aren’t offended by a term but makes all the difference to those who are.

Back