Skip to main content

International Survivor Thread - Past Seasons Talk

Columbo

Never again
I thought it might be a good idea to have like a massive thread for past seasons of international versions of Survivor, which will probably mainly be about the American version as there are about 40 of them.

So, discuss the players you liked or hated. The seasons you liked or hated. Whether you prefer strategic based seasons or more character based seasons. If your views on certain players have changed over the years. Anything like that.

I've watched about ten seasons of American Survivor with my favourite season being south Pacific and the worst being second chances because it was just too gamebotty. Personally I much prefer the seasons that are more character based as the strategic seasons can get very boring.

I'm planning to watch worlds apart soon. I've read mixed feelings on that season.

I've seen every season of US Survivor except the one that didn't air in Australia (featuring Boston Rob and Kathy who came back later) because of our own version.
I've enjoyed them all to varying degrees, but looking back at the cast lists it's striking how many people just weren't memorable, sometimes every contestant in a season.

I've seen every season of US Survivor except the one that didn't air in Australia (featuring Boston Rob and Kathy who came back later) because of our own version.
I've enjoyed them all to varying degrees, but looking back at the cast lists it's striking how many people just weren't memorable, sometimes every contestant in a season.

Are you a fan of Boston Rob?

The South African version is supposed to be very good. Is it still going in New Zealand - I know they had two series but I don't think the first was well received with each round split over two episodes and having a Redemption Island element. For the second they scrapped that and had one cycle per episode but I don't know if it was enough to save the franchise locally - and of course over the last couple of years even if they had planned a third series they might not have been able to film it.

I would call myself a definite super fan. I grew up with names like Boston Rob, Sandra, Parvati, Richard Hatch and Russell as major celebrities throughout my childhood. I watched all 40 seasons in full in lockdown last year and ranked them as well as ranking the 50 castaways I like the most. I am a huge fan of Parvati and thus my favourite seasons are anything she's in.

The South African version is supposed to be very good. Is it still going in New Zealand - I know they had two series but I don't think the first was well received with each round split over two episodes and having a Redemption Island element. For the second they scrapped that and had one cycle per episode but I don't know if it was enough to save the franchise locally - and of course over the last couple of years even if they had planned a third series they might not have been able to film it.
it's not a big thing here ,they show it on DSTV which most people only get for sports these days ,most south africans rather get showmax or netflix.I dont watch any south african TV at all

Is it still going in New Zealand - I know they had two series but I don't think the first was well received with each round split over two episodes and having a Redemption Island element. For the second they scrapped that and had one cycle per episode but I don't know if it was enough to save the franchise locally - and of course over the last couple of years even if they had planned a third series they might not have been able to film it.
The ratings for the first season weren't very good, but were even worse for the second, so TVNZ axed it. It's a shame because I quite enjoyed it. But hey they don't listen to me.

I would call myself a definite super fan. I grew up with names like Boston Rob, Sandra, Parvati, Richard Hatch and Russell as major celebrities throughout my childhood. I watched all 40 seasons in full in lockdown last year and ranked them as well as ranking the 50 castaways I like the most. I am a huge fan of Parvati and thus my favourite seasons are anything she's in.
And I thought the three BB Canada seasons I watched (and I think one BBUSA season) was an effort, though I guess Survivor is only about 16 hours a season, down to about 12 once you take out ads. It's quite nice when you can burn through a season in just a few days.

SA is the only version I consider to be truly good quality right now. Still definitely not perfect but the quality is consistent and they really haven't had a bad season yet.

On Pluto TV (available on Kodi) there's a Survivor channel. It shows entire seasons in continuous playback. Which isn't very practical in viewing terms because you'd need to sit there for hours on end without a break. Only useful if you want to tune in to random episodes every so often.

A completely unexpected winner but I love it? SA continues to remain the dominant Survivor franchise and US and AU could learn from it. Nicole winning is hilarious but I love it.

I wonder how different Survivor would be if Tyson hadn't switched his vote over to Parvati during Heroes v Villains.

Back