Skip to main content

If canceled is BBAU dead?

I want the show to go to FOX8 or Fox Arena. Don't mind if there's a smaller budget as long as there's a focus on personalities and a cast of much more polarising people. I thought the version on 9 was safe but this current version is even more safe in my opinion. I don't think free to air is currently the right option if people want the show to be more daring like it used to be.

If it ends up we would have to pay for it I'd rather it went to Netflix rather than Foxtel.

I said it before, but I reckon the most likely and probably best option would be Ten and Paramount+. It'd be a good integration and encourage people to try out another streaming service.

Stan is doing live sport, so are dabling with experimenting, so Nine and Stan would be another option. I just think it'd be more attractive for Ten.

I said it before, but I reckon the most likely and probably best option would be Ten and Paramount+. It'd be a good integration and encourage people to try out another streaming service.

Stan is doing live sport, so are dabling with experimenting, so Nine and Stan would be another option. I just think it'd be more attractive for Ten.
Yeah, that could be a good option.

With no audience interaction at all? Isn’t that how it rolls there? Cuts an essential dynamic that made the show feel so personal back in the day!
No, BBCAN has loads of audience interaction - it always has. Not voting for who stays, goes or wins doesn’t mean the audience can’t have just as much influence on the house throughout the season. BBCAN manages a wonderful balance of different elements that make the US, UK and AU versions great.

No, BBCAN has loads of audience interaction - it always has. Not voting for who stays, goes or wins doesn’t mean the audience can’t have just as much influence on the house throughout the season. BBCAN manages a wonderful balance of different elements that make the US, UK and AU versions great.
Interesting, I didn’t know that. The Wikipedia entry doesn’t really talk about it at all - at least not in the obvious sections. Well thank goodness for that.

i still don’t like it that housemates have 100% control over who goes home. If it was broadcast live, though, I could probably live with it (excellent tradeoff).

Still think it’s ironic that in the opening minutes of Big Brother Australia, Sonia says:
“Who will win.... You decide!”......

Ummm yeah.. Decide from the final 3 that you guys decide to leave us with through manipulation and coercion !

Reactions: mad
If it ends up we would have to pay for it I'd rather it went to Netflix rather than Foxtel.
I think a FTA + Streaming combo is what's needed to both finance it and make it work for viewing numbers (and not the free catchup apps, a netflix, stan or amazon type). Like you need people to buy into streaming BB 24/7, you want a place where people can get longer daily shows and adults only content. Keep it to the tentpole stuff on FTA (Live Evictions, 30min daily show, live nominations, live friday night games etc)

Exactly - and it isn't just about voting. BB Canada probably engages with it's fans more than any other version, and it is reciprocated. The live feeds make all the difference but there is just a community around the show like we don't see elsewhere, helped in no end by the fact the host Arisa Cox is probably the biggest fan of all and tweets about the live feeds and episodes in much the same way as a fan does, rather than the clearly producer written tweets you get from US host Julie Chen.

Housemate voting can be as engaging as viewer voting too - ultimately individually your vote doesn't really count for much so arguably it is more engaging to see the voting done by a small group of housemates you watch day in day out rather than hundreds of thousands of faceless viewers. Both systems have their flaws and can see people evicted you'd rather weren't, or misguidedly saved, but ultimately I think it unfolding live is so important rather than producers knowing how the vote we see today affects the final three in six weeks time.

I think also the biggest difference with the North American format is how the power shifts from week to week, and across the week, with the HoH and Veto. There usually is an arc throughout the season which I don't think we see in the way Australia does it - theres is more of a reset button after every challenge where what happened before doesn't count for much. Yes, there are alliances but the way the show is edited makes it all seem about the individual episode, rather than something that happened three weeks ago coming back to bite them

In addition too viewer engagement means connecting with the housemates. The live feeds are crucial for that, but more so the numbers. 20 housemates are the start is just too many - ideally they should never have more than 16 to start with. I think we're now at the half way point 3 weeks in with 10 housemates left, but I suspect the last three weeks would have been far more engaging if we had got to the final 10 from a starting point of just 13 housemates with one evicted per week.

Exactly - and it isn't just about voting. BB Canada probably engages with it's fans more than any other version, and it is reciprocated. The live feeds make all the difference but there is just a community around the show like we don't see elsewhere, helped in no end by the fact the host Arisa Cox is probably the biggest fan of all and tweets about the live feeds and episodes in much the same way as a fan does, rather than the clearly producer written tweets you get from US host Julie Chen.

Housemate voting can be as engaging as viewer voting too - ultimately individually your vote doesn't really count for much so arguably it is more engaging to see the voting done by a small group of housemates you watch day in day out rather than hundreds of thousands of faceless viewers. Both systems have their flaws and can see people evicted you'd rather weren't, or misguidedly saved, but ultimately I think it unfolding live is so important rather than producers knowing how the vote we see today affects the final three in six weeks time.

I think also the biggest difference with the North American format is how the power shifts from week to week, and across the week, with the HoH and Veto. There usually is an arc throughout the season which I don't think we see in the way Australia does it - theres is more of a reset button after every challenge where what happened before doesn't count for much. Yes, there are alliances but the way the show is edited makes it all seem about the individual episode, rather than something that happened three weeks ago coming back to bite them

In addition too viewer engagement means connecting with the housemates. The live feeds are crucial for that, but more so the numbers. 20 housemates are the start is just too many - ideally they should never have more than 16 to start with. I think we're now at the half way point 3 weeks in with 10 housemates left, but I suspect the last three weeks would have been far more engaging if we had got to the final 10 from a starting point of just 13 housemates with one evicted per week.
@D Space

The US has always been more miss than hit but it still has it's moments. BB22 All Stars didn't fire for them at all, but a couple of years earlier BB20 was considered the best season they'd done in years.

The arrival of BB Canada certainly saw them up their game and throw in more twists and viewer engagement (ranging from viewers choosing an extra nominee to variations of them giving HMs power or rewards within the game) and as much as the fanbase hates on their long term executive producer Alison Grodner there are signs she does listen to some feedback (doing the live premiere again for example) and over the years has often given interviews to fansites.

(cougn) I have a chatroom full of friends from 2008 where one would slingshot the 24/7 feeds of BBusa, so we don't pay for anything. Especially for sports like the Olympics, my Yank friends lean on our Brit firends to give us the BBC feeds. We don't need no stinking fees lol

Back