Skip to main content

If canceled is BBAU dead?

I wonder though if like Nine whether Seven will have a lengthy opt period should they axe the show. It was ridiculous that Nine seemed to have the rights to prevent anyone else showing Big Brother for a longer period than they actually showed Big Brother (5 years vs 3 years), with Seven pretty much snapping it up as soon as Nine's option on the format expired.
It's messy, but Nine did hold the rights for the first two years it was off air, which they paid for (not full rates, and the agreement accounted for that). Will try and explain later when I have some time.

No-one could prevent Endemol from selling the show to another party if the rights aren't being actively held by someone. Everyone tries to bake resting periods into these contracts, but unless it's paid for, it's third line forcing.

As I was saying, Nine commissioned BB on a 3 year term with an option for a 2 year extension under various options. At the end of the initial term Nine had three options:
  • Renewal for the minimum two-year extension
    • Endemol baked in licensing discounts to incentivise this, which were scaled based on Nine's performance.
  • Pay to hold but not execute the license for the two-year extension
    • Discount rates
    • Affords Nine room to change their mind on renewal at any time within those two years
    • Prevents competitors from bumping in (although Nine were open to accept bids if anyone wanted it bad enough)
  • Terminate the agreement
    • Releases the format to the open market
    • No expense incurred by Nine
Nine were really concerned about Ten bumping back in and paid to mitigate that risk.

My understanding of the agreement with Seven is that Seven has first right of refusal for renewal, but if they don't opt in then it goes straight back to open market.

-Needs to go back to TEN
-First season HAS to be a "Big Brother Best Of"- Make the housemates up of all the favourites from old seasons to bring back old fans to really re-ignite interest. They'll be older but get some of the young ones like Christie from BB 05 she'd be like 35, Skye Wheatley is like 25 etc to keep the ages diverse. The ratings will be through the R O O F in the millennial age bracket, can use that money to fund a couple more non best of seasons.
-Alternatively, a Fans vs Favourites ala Survivor did, half housemates newbies and half previous publicly admired housemates.
-Bring back the old BB voice. The new electronic one that acts like he's their friend has got to go.
-Bring back punishment and reward rooms
-Get someone with actual interior design abilities to make the house look memorable not an Ikea showroom
-Bring back Gretel, she's like 60 but who cares
-It needs to be live, you cant pre-film Big Brother. You can tell through editing the story theyre telling and it reveals heaps about what is happening (you can tell who will win challenges and who will be evicted on the editing alone)

-Needs to go back to TEN
-First season HAS to be a "Big Brother Best Of"- Make the housemates up of all the favourites from old seasons to bring back old fans to really re-ignite interest. They'll be older but get some of the young ones like Christie from BB 05 she'd be like 35, Skye Wheatley is like 25 etc to keep the ages diverse. The ratings will be through the R O O F in the millennial age bracket, can use that money to fund a couple more non best of seasons.
-Alternatively, a Fans vs Favourites ala Survivor did, half housemates newbies and half previous publicly admired housemates.
-Bring back the old BB voice. The new electronic one that acts like he's their friend has got to go.
-Bring back punishment and reward rooms
-Get someone with actual interior design abilities to make the house look memorable not an Ikea showroom
-Bring back Gretel, she's like 60 but who cares
-It needs to be live, you cant pre-film Big Brother. You can tell through editing the story theyre telling and it reveals heaps about what is happening (you can tell who will win challenges and who will be evicted on the editing alone)
I have serious doubts brining back past HM’s would be possible. The ones worth seeing a second time just wouldn’t be interred in doing the show again. A better idea would be complying a list of highlights and bringing back past HM’s to relive iconic moments from the series in interview form.

If you’re going to bring up past concepts at least touch on how you’d integrate them in to the format. Simply rehashing past ideas and relying on nostalgia won’t win over viewers. With nothing new your suggestions feel lazy... You’ve clearly got a vision in your head so get creative an spell it out for us.

Also a series is more than just a house... A strong series is a strong series no matter what the house looks like. If you’re going to judge a series based on style alone GTFO.

-First season HAS to be a "Big Brother Best Of"- Make the housemates up of all the favourites from old seasons to bring back old fans to really re-ignite interest. They'll be older but get some of the young ones like Christie from BB 05 she'd be like 35, Skye Wheatley is like 25 etc to keep the ages diverse.

Hmmm. That's actually not a bad idea. Although I think the half-and-half idea you had might be better to kick it all off ... half "Best of" housemates, and half housemate newbies.

I’d like to see a cast consisting of 12-14 from the below:

S1 - Sara Marie, Pete Timbs, Dominatrix Andy
S2 - Nathan
CBB - Warwick Capper
S3 - Reggie, Chrissie, Ben, Saxon, Belinda
S4 - Merlin, Paul, Bree, Trevor
S5 - Christie, Vesna, Gorilla Dick Dean, Timmy
S6 - David, Camilla, Krystal, Perry, Anna, John & Ashley, Michael, Delicious Dino
S7 - Zach, Michelle, Emma, TJ & Bodie, Aleisha
S8 - Travis, Brigette, Rima, Jackie O hosting by herself
S9 - Estelle, Michael, Layla
S10 - Tully, Tahan, Ben
S11 - Skye, Prisus
S12 - Angelicious

The problem with bringing back people is that most people, even those that watched the show. Really won't remember much or anything about the majority of past housemates.

It is so ironic that media we use has advanced so much, it is now so perfect for 24/7 surveillance BB

I hope 10 are just waiting,waiting,waiting....
for 9 & 7 to fuck it all and, thank you amateurs the license is now so cheap it can come home

And, 10 have the perfect host...Amanda Keller, she is witty and clever and fun, rather like Gretel

Commercial Tv producers seem to have missed the public interest in slow tv
BB can be a great mix of flashy fun stuff, and calm slow stuff for a nation suffering from insomnia

And 7 are fuckwits for not connecting the message that we have all lived through 12 months of BB style isolation
Idiots
Should have HM s discussing the issues of Covid isolation

All Stars with the original housemates from the Ten era would just be a dissapointment as they are basically different people 20 years on. It might work to an extent with some of them but the reality is a group of late-40, early-50s people trying to recreate a moment from their mid-20s is probably just going to be rather unappealing to all.

I’d like to see a cast consisting of 12-14 from the below:

S1 - Sara Marie, Pete Timbs, Dominatrix Andy
S2 - Nathan
CBB - Warwick Capper
S3 - Reggie, Chrissie, Ben, Saxon, Belinda
S4 - Merlin, Paul, Bree, Trevor
S5 - Christie, Vesna, Gorilla Dick Dean, Timmy
S6 - David, Camilla, Krystal, Perry, Anna, John & Ashley, Michael, Delicious Dino
S7 - Zach, Michelle, Emma, TJ & Bodie, Aleisha
S8 - Travis, Brigette, Rima, Jackie O hosting by herself
S9 - Estelle, Michael, Layla
S10 - Tully, Tahan, Ben
S11 - Skye, Prisus
S12 - Angelicious
Seasons 3-8 were the very best ... and IT was very impressive ;-)

I wouldn't mind a classic kinda season but with the house tasks of the current season, it seems kinda fun. I just wish they wouldn't focus on all the negativity just to cause reactions and get views, but since nobody watches FTA tv anymore they have to grab all the views they can...

All Stars with the original housemates from the Ten era would just be a dissapointment as they are basically different people 20 years on. It might work to an extent with some of them but the reality is a group of late-40, early-50s people trying to recreate a moment from their mid-20s is probably just going to be rather unappealing to all.
Yeah it humours me that people are asking for people like Andy from season 1. She is probably haggard, twice divorced with three kids, rings around her eyes, tattoos and simply tired of it all. 20’s disappear fast folks. There are plenty of fresh Andy types to cast, move on fellahs!

Has there been any "Where are they now" articles to mark the 20th anniversary? Just googled the only one I know by full name thanks to Neighbours and god, the years haven't been kind to Blair McDonough. He's looks a good decade older than he is - and I think he was the youngest of the 2001 intake.

Maybe Big Brother All Stars: The Next Generation would be a better option with the housemates kids taking part.

Last edited:
Back